Is anyone here buying/ordered the Edition Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BFW122083, May 7, 2015.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

If so, I'm curious what your thoughts/reasons are. I'm a watch guy. I have had a few Tags, and have been wearing my Panerai (current favorite) for 2 years now. I've always appreciated a nice Swiss watch.

I got a 42mm Space Gray Sport the other day. It's pretty cool. Feels good on the wrist, enjoy the notifications and what can be configured to display on the watch face. Hell, after seeing mine my wife got a 38mm Space Gray and she never wears a watch but she loves this thing. I got her a Movado years ago when we were dating and its always sat on the dresser lol.

Anyways, as much as I enjoy the watch I do kind of miss the "premium" feel of my Panerai. I'm the kind of guy that would consider a premium Apple Watch (if it came in something other than yellow/rose gold), but I can't get past the issue of the thing being completely obsolete in a few years. A 10-20k Swiss watch will last a lifetime with proper maintenance. Apple Watch is useless after a few years.

How are you guys/gals justifying that purchase in your head? Even for people well off, 10-17k is a good chunk of change for some technology.

2. rick98761 macrumors 6502

If you want something more premium why not get the SS?

3. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wanted the Sport model to workout/run with. Also I could pick up the Sport much quicker than a Space Gray SS (Craigslist). I may "upgrade" to that once they are more available and I can pick one up. Also, the whole first gen device thing played a factor.

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

5. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Damn man your parents ponied up for the SS model for you as a gift. Nice parents. I figured it was the sport you were rockin. Enjoy!

6. Calismic macrumors member

If I'm spending $10,000 on a watch I'm buying myself an Omega Deville Co-Axial Chronograph. Its' my dream watch =) I can gold plate a Stainless Apple Watch for $399!

7. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

There you go man. That's what I'm talking about! Who's the target market for that price range on the Edition?

8. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Rich Chinese that love everything gold and everything apple.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Maybe gold plate a stainless model and wait for watch 2 to see if it would be worth it for an edition model.

10. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the tech in the watch needs to catch up to how the tech in rmbp's are. One of those will last 3-4 years pretty easily. It would be nice to see the watch be able to do that as well before plunking down that kind of $$!

11. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Those buying the Edition have money to blow without a worry (no brainer). I've read threads on various watch forums and most came to the conclusion that they wouldn't purchase the edition solely due to it being obsolete after a couple years.

Owning a Rolex myself..I could never justify spending over $10k (17k for the base model here in Canada) for a watch in which will lose the majority of its value over time.

12. Simbal macrumors newbie

Exactly, China!

13. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I never understood this line of thinking.
    The Rolex's are already functionally obsolete, have been for a long time, so why buy one of those if you are worried about obsolescence?

I get that one might not want the Edition due to style, or re-sell value, snob-appeal of a Rolex, etc, but worrying about obsolescence when they already have a functionally obsolete watch is silly.

14. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Should have wrote it better. In terms of investment, the edition is a poor choice. Rolex obtains its value (yes it depreciates at first like anything else), where the Edition watch down the road could only be worth its weight in gold.

15. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I guess it depends on your disposable income and how much you like watches. The 10K number sounds really high, but (as someone who purchased a MacPro w/ upgrades) I am sure some of us have dropped nearly that much on apple tech before that we knew would go obsolete... depends what you need, what you want, and what you can afford. The Edition would definitely not be in investment purchase like a Rolex.

16. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I agree with that.

My guess is that the way the purchase is made is completely different. The Edition is a purchase for the "experience" - interesting functionality, gold is nice feature, $12k is similar to what someone may spend for other experiences, a weekend of helicopter skiing, flying out to check out the newest 2 star Michelin restaurants, etc.