Is ANYONE in charge of macOS development?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnicol, May 22, 2017.

1. macnicol macrumors newbie

macnicol

Is Anyone in Charge?

Does anyone in the Mac OS and APP Software Development organization know what Requirements Management or Configuration Management/Change Control is?

Having been a Software Development engineer and manager for over 30 years and a Mac/Lisa Evangelist since 1982, I have been very disturbed by the GUI changes that Apple has made to the OS X over the past 10 years especially to the iPhone & iTunes apps and to its basic OS. Users have invested millions of man hours into using these apps to manage their databases of photos, videos and music. Apple’s changes to these apps without regard to user impact is unprofessional, immature and outrageous.

The fact that Apple allows these kind of app GUI and functional changes without regard to their impact on its user community SHOULD make every user think twice about using Apple’s iCloud service. When a user allows a 3rd party to gain control of their data and information, that user becomes a potential hostage to the 3rd party in the future and may have to pay to get their data and information back and it may not even be available in the future. The PC “Revolution” was about users getting control of their hardware, software and more importantly, their data, and away from the totalitarian control of main frame IT departments. Now the megalithic computer companies have found a way to get control of user data again. This can potentially expose a user’s data and information to “unrestricted” access by anyone who can “hack” their systems or from government agencies data mining and snooping for information.

Any change to an established GUI should be a very critical concern of any Software Manager who has any concept of user impacts. GUI changes should only be done to fix a major error or to add new features, which should not impact the GUI for current features unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

The most costly investment a user makes in any software is in the user training to become productive in its use.

This is where the GUI makes or breaks the user experience and is a major factor in his decision to continue its use or toss it and replace it with another app with a more familiar and user friendly GUI.

When Apple makes changes to the GUI with no apparent benefit except that some naive, inexperienced programmers decided they didn't like the old way and wanted to "make it their own", it costs the user community literally hundreds of thousands of man hours in lost time adjusting to the new GUI without any added benefit. And it creates frustration and disappointment with the app. It also creates a sense of betrayal and fear that other unneeded changes to the GUI will follow with more lost time.

There should be a strictly controlled change control process when any contemplated GUI change is being considered.

A change request must be created and thoroughly reviewed especially with the impact on users being the foremost consideration. Current features/capabilities should NOT be eliminated without extensive evaluation and feedback from the user community. Is there a Mac OSX User Group that is involved in OS X change control?

When new features are added, the GUI should be consistent with the current feature GUI as much as possible. Obviously, when a released feature's GUI proves to be cumbersome and unproductive, it should be revised. But revised only to minimum extent required. When a new GUI for current features can be justified based on consistency, improved productively and/or accuracy, then an option should be provided to current users to revert to the old GUI if they choose to for at least 1 or 2 releases/updates.

GUI changes should be beta tested by a broad base of REAL experienced users before being released. REAL user testers should be heavily weighted to LONG time users and not just based on younger, inexperienced users with very little investment in time relative to the current GUI.

In GUI software, change for change's sake should be quickly stopped and denied approval for implementation. Yosemite is a classic example of how not to upgrade software. It obviously was not very well tested before release. If there is one, the SW QA dept should be replaced.

The SW Engineering Manager should be fired for approving a Software Specification and GUI Specification that was Yosemite.

Did anyone on the SW Engineering Development team have ANY extensive experience using Mac OS X?

Maverick was a significant change from Mountain Lion but it was still recognizable as a Mac OS.

Yosemite looked like a rejected Windoze OS release.

Being a long time Apple shareholder and a Mac Evangelist since 1984 (even had a Lisa in 1982!), I am deeply concerned that Apple is loosing it's way.

A user friendly, well tested GUI was Apple's discriminator and is what created a loyal user base. Let's hope Apple does not lose sight of their product’s best feature.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. JMacHack macrumors 6502

I have a file for photos, music, and videos. This cost me about, 5 seconds to make.
    I fail to see the issue.

4. MBX macrumors 65816

According to OP we should still be stuck with OS9 or older, lol.

I don't wanna be rude because you're older maybe but be flexible, adapt, go with the flow. The current macOS (incl iTunes, etc) is the best to date.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I want to know how the OP is even posting here, dialup from their Mac II? How does he even browse here since it uses SSL, was there even a browser for System 6 or 7? How many vulnerabilities are there in System 6/7 by now?

Where was the complaining when OS X came out? That must have been a horrible experience to switch to that...

6. 1024724 macrumors member

A little long-winded but I agree completely with the OP's sentiments.

OP, were there any specific changes that led you to post this dissertation? I know that there have been a bunch, too many to quantify in any quick time frame, but I'm curious what prompted you.

7. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I agree, but tell us how you really feel?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Erh no. iTunes 12 is the largest cluster**** piece of software Apple has released in years.

9. smokesletsgo, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

smokesletsgo macrumors regular

The OG is right. He could elaborate more specifically on what he doesn't like, though. I don't agree about the iCloud part but the interface definitely deteriorated. IMO it looks not as beautiful, readability is worse, plain white fields all over the place, overall looks cheaper and Android'ish. The uniqueness of Apple has faded a bit.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Really, you think iTunes is the best - wow. I think its horrid.

11. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I don't mind it at least there are features no other software has like smart-playlists for "my" ripped and purchased music, access to my Apple music subscription and managing my iPhone - but it could be much much improved that's for sure. On the other hand I really like MacOS Sierra.

Keep in mind I am a recent (January) convert from Windows, Win 7 was and is a very nice OS but my old PC was often crashing due to some graphic card issues - was really slow (maybe I "like" iTunes cause it was awful on my old PC) and I find my current iMac blazingly fast and smooth. I defer to Maflynn and the other vets who have used MAcOS as well as Windows for a long time and can see the changes...

12. Granville macrumors newbie

Apple MADE itunes a disaster to run on Windows that's for sure.
    Calling it good software on macOS is also a lie, it's not even average quality software...

App Store is another ninties app for macOS that needs rework ASAP