Is anyone just living with backlight bleed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 25, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I haven't even gotten my iPad yet, but after looking at all the backlight bleeding pics that have been posted, I am pretty sure it is not an issue that I will freak out over, especially if almost all devices have it in one form or another. Now, if it is significant & noticeable, that is different, but if it's just a hint of light creeping in only when the screen is dark, that's probably not a deal breaker for me.

Is there anyone else who is not freaking out over the backlight bleed issue & just living with it?

2. applelvr macrumors member

I got my iPad yesterday and it has a tiny amount of blacklight bleed. However, I'm sure the only reason I noticed it is because I've been reading about it on this forum and actually looked for it!

I'm very happy with my iPad and I'm keeping it.

3. Cheetablaze macrumors member

I bought mine at target, 90 return policy. If people report this issue being fixed I'll swap it out. I keep my brightness so low I don't even see it anymore. Buy the iPad and enjoy it, I know I am! I can easily surf the net while holding my newborn baby.

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I can live with the bleed but I can't live with dead pixels.

5. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I am, it's pretty bad when watching Xfinity or Netflix but after a while you don't notice it's there. I might exchange it in 60-90 days at Target but you can't see it during regular use like safari or gaming.

6. foodle macrumors 6502

Enough with the OCD. For most people this is a complete non-issue. So what if you see backlight bleed under completely unrealistic conditions (dark room, black screen, full brightness)? You will never use the device in these conditions. It's like complaining that your minivan is unable to do a 10 second 1/4 mile on a racetrack.

7. Littlenet macrumors member

I got my iPad yesterday and haven't noticed any problems. I put on a netflix movie and didn't notice, so I'm happy with mine.

8. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Same. I have yet to see the bleed on mind outside of the silly dark screen in a dark room test. I don't notice it in normal use, including watching letter boxed movies, so I see no point in worrying about it.

9. jrichman63 macrumors regular

IS ANYONE BENDING OVER AND BUYING A 500 DOLLAR DEFECTIVE i DEVICE?

10. brettatk macrumors regular

These. I have a tiny amount of backlight bleed in the lower left corner. It's not enough to bother me or interfere with anything I'm doing on my iPad.

11. St. Germain macrumors 6502

I'm not having any blacklight issues with my iPad 2, but if I watched anything at full brightness on my iPad 2 in a pitch black dark room, I think my eyes would start bleeding after 5-10 minutes or so.

12. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If you aren't happy with yours then you should return your fifth one for a refund. Stop talking down ton people that are happy with the device that they have.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OP, this obsession with the iPad can't be healthy. 20+ threads this month started by you. :D

14. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

I'm living with it until I can get a replacement that doesn't suck.

15. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

The entire point of my post here is what your definition of "defective" really is. I know people who don't care if the back had a huge gouge across it or if there is light bleed on the screen.

Then there are people like you who are never satisfied & see issues with every tiny detail.

It is a $500+ mass produced toy. It is not like taking delivery of your $100,000 Mercedes & having to live with a tear in the leather on the driver seat.

16. OMGitworks macrumors member

I agree, either a got very lucky or people or OCD about it. It is not severe and can't imagine that they built ones that are as bad as some people think it is. I can see for $700 that you could be upset if it really bothered you but I personally can't imagine being so worked up over it.

17. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

First off, I have only started 19 new threads in the last month. :cool: And what can I say, I am trying to pass the time until mine actually shows up! I'm sure that when mine gets delivered, I will become a ghost on this place.

BTW, at least I am not spamming the board with senseless attacks on other posters.

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeah I did the dark room test and notice a slight bleed in the lower right. Nothing ridiculous. I don't care at all about it.

However, dead pixels and scratches drive me nuts. So far I think this display is pretty perfect. Also, the temp is on the cool side which I love.

19. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Thanks. I'll keep the lights on. Any other bits of iPad wisdom?

20. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

If you see it in normal usage return it. Meaning if you see it when watching movies in the dark with the screen at the brightness you use or whatever, then return.

I haven't noticed it at all during normal usage myself (including watching videos in bed--though I do usually at least have the reading light on) only a bit on a black screen with brightness cranked up in a dark room doing that silly test.

So for me it's fine. If it's not for you, exchange or return as no one should accept a device that has a flaw in normal usage for them.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

mo drama fo yo mama

22. wrxdrunkie macrumors member

I just returned my AT&T iPad 3G because of the backlight bleeding. Got it replaced by a verizon 3G model, slightly worse bleeding but it is at the bottom of the screen, so it's not nearly as bad with movies because when in landscape the bleeding is covered up by action from the movie instead of being highlighted because it bleeds around the black bar.

23. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

+1, pretty much exactly how i feel

24. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

If you are looking for flawes you will discover them. Thats what peoppe are doing every time a new apple product comes out.

25. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Well, it's just that I don't want to be that ****** who returns everything he buys for the slightest defect like a tiny bit of bleeding in the corner that has no impact unless I'm in a pitch black room watching a letterboxed movie with the brightness turned up all the way and even then would never have noticed it unless he read about the scourge of backlight bleeding.

Have also owned two iPhones and two iPads and have never seen a dead pixel. I'm sure a couple have been there but I have no interest in analyzing my gadget under a microscope to spot something I've never noticed before under ordinary use.