Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone Is anyone not excited about iPhone 6 due to lack of jailbreak?

dipstik

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
im going to see how much devs are able to do with ios8. if we get themeing, ability to change default apps, and an actual file browser in vanilla ios8, then i dont have much reason to jailbreak. if the devs are limited by the dev kits then i will most likey be getting my first android device (m8 or nexus 6).

Comment

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
im going to see how much devs are able to do with ios8. if we get themeing, ability to change default apps, and an actual file browser in vanilla ios8, then i dont have much reason to jailbreak. if the devs are limited by the dev kits then i will most likey be getting my first android device (m8 or nexus 6).

you do realize that ios 8 is just ios 7 with custom keyboards and quickreply, right? its not gonna be an open system...

Comment

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
There's only one application that I'd still jailbreak to get:

iBlacklist

Over the years, everything else that I'd jailbreak for has been incorporated into successive versions of iOS!

Comment

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
This issue is raised each year just before the hardware refresh.

Just like last year, some want the jailbreak over the new hardware.
Just like last year, some want the new hardware over the jailbreak.

And just like last year Apple will be incorporating new features (which originated as hacks/tweaks) into this new iOS being introduced.

And just like last year, there is always a thread or two about it :(

And just like last year, I'll bet we even see a poll about this (sooner than later)

And?

Don't click them.

Comment

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm keeping both of my iPads and my 5S on 7.1.2 until there is a JB for 8.0. Not losing my adblock over a new OS. I tried 8.0 on my 5S for a few days and decided that the minor new features that I saw weren't worth losing the JB over so I went back to 7.1.2. I also like unlimited skips on iTunes radio too much to give that up.

I have no plans to get a 6 and will wait till the 6S next year.

Comment

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Is anyone not excited about iPhone 6 due to lack of jailbreak?

There's only one application that I'd still jailbreak to get:

iBlacklist

Over the years, everything else that I'd jailbreak for has been incorporated into successive versions of iOS!

I'll be moving to the iPhone 6 on Friday and giving up my JB iPhone 5 because my wife's phone was stolen this week. I'll re-image the 5 for her and live with plain vanilla iOS8 for the time being.

Having said that, I'll miss iBlacklist and Tetherme like crazy. My other half a dozen tweaks are just for grins but those two are life savers.

Last edited:
Comment

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Just keeping my rmini and mini on 7.12 JB'd.

Have a hunch it may be a while on the 8 JB thanks to Pangu burning TWO exploits for a .12 release.

If not, fantastic, but no reason to not enjoy the goodness of the 6.

Even non-JB it's still a huge upgrade from the 5S, and eventually it will JB, even if it takes months =(

Comment

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Normally I'm jailbreak or nothing, but I'm going to go out on a limb and just buy it hoping we'll get a JB within a couple months. My 4 has started to show its age a while ago.

Comment

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Turned off my theming to try and start getting used to the plain UI again. Ugh. Goodbye for now Springtomize and Circulas. Hello stupid icon labels, boring animations and ugly icons.

Comment

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I'm keeping both of my iPads and my 5S on 7.1.2 until there is a JB for 8.0. Not losing my adblock over a new OS. I tried 8.0 on my 5S for a few days and decided that the minor new features that I saw weren't worth losing the JB over so I went back to 7.1.2. I also like unlimited skips on iTunes radio too much to give that up.

I have no plans to get a 6 and will wait till the 6S next year.

I completely agree!! I jailbreak for the customization such as themes and fonts. I love looking at my screens on my iphone 5S and iPad. The boring and ugly OS is just so blahhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
The only thing missing on ios8 is intelliscreenx. I wish Apple would do something with the lock screen

Comment

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
i thought pangu said theyre already working on a jailbreak

I am sure most security researchers/jailbreak creators are looking at the new phones and iOS. Who knows how long it might take though and there is always the possibility however unlikely that they will not find enough to do a jailbreak.

Really, for me personally, Apple has incorporated most of what I want, or at least I thought they had until I used the iMessage quick reply box, which is horrible compared to BiteSMS and I am sure the other alternate texting apps.

The 3x3 matrix in folders seems even more ridiculous than before as well with the larger phones.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.