Is anyone NOT turning on iCloud Photo Sharing?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Steviejobz, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

2. mantan macrumors 68000

I don't use the Cloud at all. So no, I didn't turn on iCloud Photo Sharing.

3. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm not going anywhere near it right now, especially since it's still in "beta". That basically means you could lose all of your photos and Apple would say, "Sorry, this feature is still in beta. We can't help you."

Besides, it's extremely confusing how the whole system works, what goes where, etc.

It also doesn't sync with iPhoto right now, probably because they are switching to the Photos app, which comes out "sometime next year". What a mess.

And to top it all off, they're claiming we can store every photo we take, but only offering 5 GB? I realize we can pay more to upgrade, but Flickr is offering 1 TB for free right now, and it's just as accessible from multiple devices.

No thanks, Apple. I'll revisit this service once the entire thing is actually working properly. I'm getting really concerned about how Apple is launching all of these new features and services piecemeal lately. iPhone 6 without Apple Pay, Yosemite without the new Photos app. iOS 8 without the new Photos app AND it won't even run iPhoto anymore. It's such an absolute mess.

5. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Kk look I don't really care about photos so I haven't looked into what exactly is going on or exactly how to make this whole thing work, or whether it even does work at all, so I've been approaching it as kind of a dumb layman, which is probably the average iPhone user's experience:

1. After I updated from 7.1--8.01, I switched on some beta thing in settings.

1200 or so photos that were on my phone then disappeared without a trace. There were ALSO DELETED FROM MY TWO OTHER iOS devices

Then two weeks later, about 1100 of them returned (100 never came back) on two of my devices WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING, but never returned to the third device.

Now after updating to 8.1 about 1000 photos just disappeared without a trace again.

I read somewhere here that if I go to beta.cloud.com maybe I could see them. When I try that I just get an error.

Now like I said, I just don't really care about my photos, I just take them for fun, they aren't of any great significance to me. Really I think this whole thing is hilarious... to me.

But if I did are about photos, and I were an average user. I would be VERY angry, and I suspect Apple is getting a ****storm of angry phone calls these past few weeks. is screwed right now.

Again, if I really cared I would figure it out and make it work somehow, by using Dropbox, or frequent downloads of the photos to where Apple's magic cloud stuff couldn't find them and erase them, etc, or any of many different solutions to work around iOS... But I think the average user is screwed, angry and upset right now.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

7. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

We're on satellite capped Internet. We don't do cloud lol. Even if we had the luxury of unlimited data I'm still a 'local storage' kind of gal-we have too many power outages to depend on cloud services.

8. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not if you're using also Photostream.

You're right, I have no confidence in these cloud photos, but I can see my photos still instantly showing up on my Mac, same as always.

So even if the cloud screws me (and it well might!) I have all my copies on my Mac and (before too long) also on my Mac's backup drive.

10. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I only use iCloud for calendar sharing between iOS, OS X and MS Outlook. I prefer to have my data local ( all photos are on an external USB drive ).

11. MannyC macrumors newbie

Count me in as another user who never uses the iCloud services. I just don't feel safe using it.