Is anyone on iOS 6 and cannot FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PNutts, Aug 17, 2014.

1. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Looks like iOS 6.1.3 cannot FaceTime due to an expired cert. Anyone else experiencing this and has found a workaround other than upgrading to iOS 7? For me it's an iPod Touch 5th generation but I'm curious if it also affects iPhones.

The other kid's iPod is 4th generation and not eligible for iOS 7 so Apple released 6.1.6 and FaceTime is OK. Thx.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is a lengthy thread on this subject already created. In short, nearly every iOS device that can run iOS 7, but is on iOS 6, cannot FaceTime.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yup you're going to have to update. I don't buy the whole 'cert expiring' bs Apple gave us, but what are you going to do? :mad:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that was pretty bad on their part.
    Update or all of a sudden you lose features of your perfectly functioning phone.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The FaceTime P2P certificate really did expire. You can extract it from iOS' certificate bundle and look at the dates with Keychain Access.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe you bro.
    Just don't see how and why they allowed this to happen to millions of devices.
    Doesn't sound right.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does seem like poor planning on Apple's part. I don't remember if I'm still able to FaceTime on my old 4S still running iOS 5 or not. I'll have to try that later today.

8. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Why would Apple even put an expiration (less than 3 years!) on the FaceTime P2P certificate in the first place?

Is there a valid reason to do that besides Apple taking away features in an effort to force, people who don't want to, to upgrade their OS?

Makes me pretty pissed off that Apple would do that to their loyal customers, whats next? After iOS 8 is my Maps application "certificate" going to expire unless I upgrade from iOS 7? :rolleyes:

9. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Looks like you are going to have to upgrade to iOS 7. I had my iPod toch on iOS 6 till just recently, but I never bothered to look at the FaceTime option because I don't use it as much as I do now.

It's probably to force users to update their OS.
    I guess they choose to do that by limiting the features.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Why are they forcing users to upgrade? Just so they can show off at keynotes and state that they have nearly 100% of users running the latest version of iOS.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

FaceTime is secured by SSL. Every SSL certificate, as mandated by international security laws, needs to have an expiration date. The real question is why Apple didn't renew it when there was less than 6 months before expiration.

12. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Hi, I'm a Dinosaur, and I refuse to upgrade to iOS 7 or even 8 for that matter! My iDevice can easily run it but I'm too stubborn to get past the flat-redesign and stuck using ancient software like iOS 6 and still expect Apple to update a certificate for an outdated OS that is no longer supported anyways! Steve would have never allowed this! Jony Ive can't design something if his life depended on it! #DownWithTimCook2014

:rolleyes:

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Are we, to this day, still falling back on the, "Steve would never have allowed this" mantra?

Steve Jobs is dead. May as well shut Apple's doors and go home.

14. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

iOS 6ers are.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I lost you at the part where you said my idevice can easily run it.
    Not all older devices perform that good on ios 7 and some slow down considerably.
    Or others would like to stay and keep their phone the way it is. Is that a bad thing? They should not have the option to pick what they like instead of being forced?

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Three things have prevented me from using Facetime for more than just the occasional thing.

1. Privacy. Not everyone wants to answer an FT call.
    2. WiFi at work. Until just a week ago work had a T1 line and everyone was on it.
    3. Sprint's crappy network.

Out of these three things, only #2 has changed recently. #3 is getting better, but it's not there yet. Consequently, I haven't missed this feature overmuch.

I'm on iOS 6.1.

17. PNutts thread starter macrumors 601

PNutts

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I remember this being a hot topic for a little while so figured I'd dig up a link to one of the (main) articles about it.