Is anyone running MaxSink Modules for their Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supercooled, Sep 12, 2007.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Hello!

I've placed an order for a mac pro 2.66 and in eager anticipation have decided to shop for memory. My goal is 16GB so I'm upgrading incrementally in 4GB (2x2GB) sets. Someone on a local forum mentioned MaxSink which are significantly cheaper than Crucial. I know absolutely nothing of Mac upgrades so it goes without saying MaxSink could be the cheapeast of the cheapest brand in existance and I would not be the wiser.

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=157

$285 for 2x2GB set.

Are they reputable memory or should I just spend the extra for tried and true, Crucial?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Are you going for 16GB for a reason or do you just want to max out the machine? If you are doing it to max out the machine the Mac Pro is capable of 32GBs of RAM, not the 16GBs as advertised. Do a forum search for more information.

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried searching for MaxSink feedback but those were few and far between. I am getting into digital photography and video post-production as a hobby with hopes of making it a future vocation. I'll go for 16GB since 4GB modules are out of the stratosphere.

I'm hoping for some feedback after seeing some pictures of them and quite frankly, they do not instill a lot of confidence. Especially with talks of FB memory running to upwards 120celcius. That's crazy.

4. anthony113 macrumors member

hmm... most video and media creation apps are still 32 bit, meaning they can address at most, 3gb. 16gb is really excessive and i doubt you would utilize even half of that. maybe get 8gb in a configuration that will allow you to easily upgrade to 16 later. i'm currently running 4gb on an octo mac and i'm creating fairly complex composites with hd footage.

5. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Anthony, could you go into some details as to what you mean by "complex HD footage"? This hobby is still brand new to me and getting pointers where and when I can would go a long way. Also if I were to take your specs as a benchmark then a faster processor(s) would be more beneficial than to load up on memory?

Thanks in advance

6. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

The best ram: transintl.com

6GB is more than enough for HD video editing.

7. anthony113 macrumors member

well.. i'm in the field of visual effects so i'm typicallly combining several pieces of hd or film footage to create a finished composite image. it would be great if the apps i use were written in a way where i could hold more of the footage in memory instead of reading it from the hard drive but they aren't 64 bit yet. it's much faster to work with data in memory than on a physical disk. more than 8gb of ram is really designed for running one or multiple 64 bit applications. or a bunch of 32 bit apps each addressing 3gb. i don't know of one 64 bit video or multimedia application out there yet.