Is anyone running OSX Mavericks on a 2007 iMac?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Is anyone running OSX Mavericks on a 2007 iMac? Just wanted to know their experiences :) If anyone has, could you post a video. Just as it is almost a 7 year old computer; wanted to know who it runs today :)

Thanks

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I have one, but it exhibits the freezing behavior that is common with many of the 2007 models. The only OS it does not do this on is 10.6.6 and older. Not exactly sure the cause, but I do not use it daily (rarely, actually). I can say other than the hanging, the performance is good with 10.8 or 10.9. It does have an SSD in it, however, with 4GB of RAM.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yup, the one in my signature.

It has been upgraded to a faster CPU, max RAM, and a faster-than-original 1 TB hard drive. But it still has the stock Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128 MB VRAM.

In Mavericks, I get the occasional video hiccup (I use the internal display plus an external 1080p display,) where parts of the screen just stop updating regularly. So I'll minimize a window, but that window's contents stay visible. If I move the "new front" window around, it may or may not update the screen. The only way to fix this is to log out or reboot. It also only ever occurs with GPU-intensive applications, but *NOT* 3D applications! So games work fine, but things like iMovie or iPhoto, which use GPU acceleration, will cause it if I'm in the app too long.

Other than that, it's great.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I also have an older late 2007 iMac and I use it as a spare. I have a late 2012 iMac that I normally use. I have Mavericks on the older iMac and it works pretty good and I keep it updated, but it's a little slow probably because it only has 3 gigs of ram, but it still works pretty well and is very usable.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I have Mavericks running on my early 2008 iMac with 4GB memory. It has freeze issues that have been going on since Lion, not sure if this is software or flaky hardware.

The only thing I noticed since installing Mavericks, is that it takes along time to give me the cursor when waking from sleep, mail is slow, and notification sounds happen several seconds AFTER the notification.

I don't believe any of the above are due to my older iMac and fully expect that I'll have them on the new iMac I just ordered. Apple doesn't appear to quality test their software like they used to.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm on a mid 2007 with 3GB RAM and it runs Mavericks perfectly fine for what i use the machine for.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Mid 2007 iMac 4GB RAM and no issues here. Family computer for web browsing, odd word processing and occasional photoshop. Mavericks.

Hexley

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
It is unfortunate to see reports of the freezing still present in our 2007 iMac running Mavericks. I've also updated my 20-inch to 10.9.1. Didn't TimeMachine any old files back to the machine so I am running it as a fresh install for now.

I am considering upgrading the original 250GB WD Blue HDD to a 4TB WD Black HDD WD4003FZEX as it can do sequential read/writes of more than 186MB/s.

Although I am tempted to insert a Crucial M500 SSD but it will be restricted by the SATA 3Gb/s interface to below 300MB/s speeds.

Seagate incidentally released a 3.5-inch Hybrid drive called the Desktop SSHD. It appears to best the 4TB Black HDD I mentioned earlier at over 194MB/s sequential read/writes but they only sell it with 2TB capacities.

Last edited:

fanspeed

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2007
yup me too

mid 2007 bought in Feb. 2008,upgraded memory and have been running mavericks since Nov. everything AOK

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
We have one at home, we just use it as a server but when we I need to do configuration on it, it is terribly slow.
It is as slow on Snow Leopard raven after repairing permissions and resetting Pram/Nvram and SMC. Could be the HDD is dying though :p

Anyway if it goes slow but you're pretty sure the HDD is still in good condition boot in "Single User" mode and type "fsck -fy" does wonders sometimes :D

Anyways Mavericks is a lot faster than snow leopard so definitely give it a shot!

coyoteblue

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
Peterborough, Ontario
I have a 2007 with 4gb ram and everything runs well, except that I can't attach files to any program that uses Finder to upload a file! Finder just freezes and the program that I'm using, whether Outlook, Gmail or Facebook freezes too o that I have to Force Quit to move on. Though not entirely sure, I think it's Mavericks that is the problem, since this occurs in all cases where I use Finder to attach a file. Can't find a solution anywhere, so I'm hoping the next update will sort this out.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I have a 2007 with 4gb ram and everything runs well, except that I can't attach files to any program that uses Finder to upload a file! Finder just freezes and the program that I'm using, whether Outlook, Gmail or Facebook freezes too o that I have to Force Quit to move on. Though not entirely sure, I think it's Mavericks that is the problem, since this occurs in all cases where I use Finder to attach a file. Can't find a solution anywhere, so I'm hoping the next update will sort this out.
I think that is happening to most people. Nice to hear that people have 7 year old iMacs still running strong and still supported :)

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
4GB late 2007 iMac here. Running latest OS. No issues really, other than it seems to be slowing down a little more each month, LOL.

Really though. I keep looking for a reason to replace this thing and well, I can't find one yet. Totally useable, even with Aperture which is my primary use for the machine. (Outside of normal daily computer stuff of course).

I think I might actually bite the next time a new model is released though, because, well, just because I really like the 27's. :)

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Mine has started to freeze randomly and I have to hard reboot. Mouse moves but clicks don't do
anything and keyboard doesn't do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.