Is anyone running OSX Mavericks on a 2007 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MartinAppleGuy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Is anyone running OSX Mavericks on a 2007 iMac? Just wanted to know their experiences :) If anyone has, could you post a video. Just as it is almost a 7 year old computer; wanted to know who it runs today :)

Thanks

2. Habberkuk macrumors member

My dad has one. It's running pretty good. Still fast and smooth.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Nice to hear :0 I though it was great that a 7 year old iMac was still able to run the most upto date OS. Is your dad using Mavericks?

4. Habberkuk macrumors member

Yes he is using mavericks :)

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Yes, late 2007 iMac with 4GB ram, running well.

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I have one, but it exhibits the freezing behavior that is common with many of the 2007 models. The only OS it does not do this on is 10.6.6 and older. Not exactly sure the cause, but I do not use it daily (rarely, actually). I can say other than the hanging, the performance is good with 10.8 or 10.9. It does have an SSD in it, however, with 4GB of RAM.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yup, the one in my signature.

It has been upgraded to a faster CPU, max RAM, and a faster-than-original 1 TB hard drive. But it still has the stock Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128 MB VRAM.

In Mavericks, I get the occasional video hiccup (I use the internal display plus an external 1080p display,) where parts of the screen just stop updating regularly. So I'll minimize a window, but that window's contents stay visible. If I move the "new front" window around, it may or may not update the screen. The only way to fix this is to log out or reboot. It also only ever occurs with GPU-intensive applications, but *NOT* 3D applications! So games work fine, but things like iMovie or iPhoto, which use GPU acceleration, will cause it if I'm in the app too long.

Other than that, it's great.

8. martosprint macrumors 6502

I also have an older late 2007 iMac and I use it as a spare. I have a late 2012 iMac that I normally use. I have Mavericks on the older iMac and it works pretty good and I keep it updated, but it's a little slow probably because it only has 3 gigs of ram, but it still works pretty well and is very usable.

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I have Mavericks running on my early 2008 iMac with 4GB memory. It has freeze issues that have been going on since Lion, not sure if this is software or flaky hardware.

The only thing I noticed since installing Mavericks, is that it takes along time to give me the cursor when waking from sleep, mail is slow, and notification sounds happen several seconds AFTER the notification.

I don't believe any of the above are due to my older iMac and fully expect that I'll have them on the new iMac I just ordered. Apple doesn't appear to quality test their software like they used to.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I'm on a mid 2007 with 3GB RAM and it runs Mavericks perfectly fine for what i use the machine for.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Mid 2007 iMac 4GB RAM and no issues here. Family computer for web browsing, odd word processing and occasional photoshop. Mavericks.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

My iMac is a late-2007 model with Mavericks. 6 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Runs fine.

13. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I ran it on my old iMac -- mid-2007, 3GB.

Ran just fine.

14. Hexley, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

Hexley macrumors 6502a

It is unfortunate to see reports of the freezing still present in our 2007 iMac running Mavericks. I've also updated my 20-inch to 10.9.1. Didn't TimeMachine any old files back to the machine so I am running it as a fresh install for now.

I am considering upgrading the original 250GB WD Blue HDD to a 4TB WD Black HDD WD4003FZEX as it can do sequential read/writes of more than 186MB/s.

Although I am tempted to insert a Crucial M500 SSD but it will be restricted by the SATA 3Gb/s interface to below 300MB/s speeds.

Seagate incidentally released a 3.5-inch Hybrid drive called the Desktop SSHD. It appears to best the 4TB Black HDD I mentioned earlier at over 194MB/s sequential read/writes but they only sell it with 2TB capacities.

15. fanspeed macrumors member

yup me too

mid 2007 bought in Feb. 2008,upgraded memory and have been running mavericks since Nov. everything AOK

16. Lauwie macrumors regular

We have one at home, we just use it as a server but when we I need to do configuration on it, it is terribly slow.
    It is as slow on Snow Leopard raven after repairing permissions and resetting Pram/Nvram and SMC. Could be the HDD is dying though :p

Anyway if it goes slow but you're pretty sure the HDD is still in good condition boot in "Single User" mode and type "fsck -fy" does wonders sometimes :D

Anyways Mavericks is a lot faster than snow leopard so definitely give it a shot!

17. Rayamedia, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

Rayamedia macrumors newbie

Ancient 2006 Mac pro here, working better than ever! So should be fine on iMac.

18. coyoteblue macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 with 4gb ram and everything runs well, except that I can't attach files to any program that uses Finder to upload a file! Finder just freezes and the program that I'm using, whether Outlook, Gmail or Facebook freezes too o that I have to Force Quit to move on. Though not entirely sure, I think it's Mavericks that is the problem, since this occurs in all cases where I use Finder to attach a file. Can't find a solution anywhere, so I'm hoping the next update will sort this out.

19. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I think that is happening to most people. Nice to hear that people have 7 year old iMacs still running strong and still supported :)

20. rotlex macrumors 6502a

4GB late 2007 iMac here. Running latest OS. No issues really, other than it seems to be slowing down a little more each month, LOL.

Really though. I keep looking for a reason to replace this thing and well, I can't find one yet. Totally useable, even with Aperture which is my primary use for the machine. (Outside of normal daily computer stuff of course).

I think I might actually bite the next time a new model is released though, because, well, just because I really like the 27's. :)

21. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I have this exact same same set up. Runs like a champ, been doing a lot with the new GarageBand lately.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

23. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

24. bommai macrumors 6502a

bommai

Mine has started to freeze randomly and I have to hard reboot. Mouse moves but clicks don't do
    anything and keyboard doesn't do anything.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sounds like you have the 2007/2008 iMac ATI 2400/2600 GPU crash/freeze: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1262891 Was hoping it was fixed in 10.9.