is anyone still happily using cMBP 2012 i7 2.9Ghz with SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomtouchsmart, Jan 5, 2017.

1. tomtouchsmart macrumors newbie

image.png I received a Apple refurbished unit last week from Apple thinking of exchanging it for the similarly specked MacBook Pro 2016 I five unit but there's something appealing about having the 2 x 1 TB EVO drives from Samsung in the one machine and I am not quite running to the Apple Store yet.

So at the risk of causing a nerd spat -- especially with the crazy low 1200 x 800 resolution screen (compared to even better than retina 2016 screens and ability to output >2k Externally) -- Do any of you have 2017 thoughts on my novice wondering if I'm doing the right thing considering that day that the one (super fast) solid-state drive in 2016 model fails; in addition is the ability to remove the hard drive(s) in 2012 cMBP when turning the computer in for servicing versus Apple and others accessing the date on the current MacBook's solid-state drive built to the motherboard .....

I know there are posts on this i7 8gig 2.9Ghz unit but I has to ask as the specs (see attached for comparison to current i5 and i7 dual cores with the non touch) are so similar in the old 45 watt-powered 2012 unit versus new 15watt ntMB

I look forward to my first MacBook in quite some time no matter which one I utilize for MacOS and several OSes on Parallels, and I know I am probably headed to the silver MacBook Pro 13 nontouch i5/256

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The benefits for the cMBPs aren't as high now as they once were. Yeah they're user-upgradable which everybody raves out, but practically all you can do from a legit point of view is swap out the hard-drive (which is considerably slower with the SATA interface) and upgrade the RAM. Sure you can take out the optical drive and throw in a data doubler, but you'll be hard pressed to get it serviced at an Apple Store after that.

Comparitively, the 2015 Retina MacBook Pros are thinner, lighter, have 3 hours better battery life, a much better screen, faster RAM, more RAM as standard, faster Flash, better graphics, a better processor, 2x Thunderbolt ports & HDMI, and a Force Touch trackpad. Based on your concerns with serviceability, I'd probably recommend that over the 2016.

But don't get me wrong -- the 13" cMBPs are really rock-solid reliable and still very capable. You can pick one up in good condition on the used market for nearly 50% off RRP, so you can save yourself a small fortune and go that route.

I'd personally go for the 2016 model, but in many ways the 2015 13" is the best of both worlds, so it'll arguably be an easier adjustment for you.

3. tomtouchsmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that comprehensive reply.
    It really did help with my exchange of unopended cMBP for ntMBP silver 16/256/2.0Ghz.
    (Unless I find a 15.4" 2015 retina bargain.for its quad-coredness!!) MinI

4. makinao, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

makinao macrumors regular

Not exactly the same model ....

[​IMG]

.... but except for the shorter battery life than a 2016 model, I'm still happy.

5. tomtouchsmart thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your reply as well and while we are on it you see no current or 3year imminent limitation of Intel 4000 gpu?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    Vram difference is that it is at least 2x in 2016, but have not studied the current intel integrated graphics

6. makinao macrumors regular

Forgot to mention that my MBP switches between integrated intel hd graphics 4000 for cruising and discrete nvidia geforce gt 650m for heavier lifting. The switching was strangely obvious in early El Capitan, but in Sierra I don't notice it anymore.

7. azpekt macrumors regular

i would have happily still use my cMBP 2012 15 with 16gb/2ssd, but it`s the retina, that ultimately lured me to use 2015 15 rMBP

other than that, for me 2012 still rocked solid