Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I jailbroke my phone specifically to use the GV Mobile application. I have not been able to get it to work. On the GV Mobile site I see discussion threads that make me think that people are using the application and it's working, but no one will respond to my posts there. Nor will the developer.

I can log into the service, and toggle the "remember me" switch to On. But every time I log in it forgets who I am. I was able to get it to find my voicemails one time. But every time I hit the SMS button it crashes. I have only 2 SMS's in the server so I know it isn't size that's killing it.

If anyone has any suggestions for getting the application to work, I'd appreciate hearing. Or if anyone is successfully using the Cydia version of GoogleVoice Mobile, I'd like to hear about your experiences with that. Thanks!

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
This won't help much, but it's always worked perfectly for me.

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
It's good to know that it works for someone before I pursue making it work on my machine. Thanks for the info.

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I did uninstall it, rebooted the phone, and reinstalled it. Still not luck. I'm bummed because I really like the Google Voice functionality. And even though I love my iPhone, it's making me consider moving over to the Android world when my contract expires. Google Voice on t-Mobile = free phone calls.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I did uninstall it, rebooted the phone, and reinstalled it. Still not luck. I'm bummed because I really like the Google Voice functionality. And even though I love my iPhone, it's making me consider moving over to the Android world when my contract expires. Google Voice on t-Mobile = free phone calls.

T-mobile has free incoming calls?

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
T-Mobile has my faves which works as "in calls". They don't count toward your monthly allowance. I believe you can choose 5 numbers to be my faves. So if you route calls through your Google Voice number and list that number as your My Faves, they aren't charged towards your monthly allowance. Likewise, if you route your calls out that way (through your Google Voice number), they are not charged towards the monthly allowance either.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
T-Mobile has my faves which works as "in calls". They don't count toward your monthly allowance. I believe you can choose 5 numbers to be my faves. So if you route calls through your Google Voice number and list that number as your My Faves, they aren't charged towards your monthly allowance. Likewise, if you route your calls out that way (through your Google Voice number), they are not charged towards the monthly allowance either.

:eek: Only downside is no caller ID then. Right?

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
In the GoogleVoice options I have it set so that incoming calls show the caller ID, and if the person's phone service doesn't support it, they have to say their name. That works fine and still shows up as a GoogleVoice call on my bill. Check out this post I just saw on Engadget - looks like we might be getting the MyFaves type option with AT&T:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/atandt-gets-with-the-program-offers-unlimited-calling-to-a-list/

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! Cool. That's probably why A(T&T)pple had GV die in the first place :p

gadgetmom88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I was thinking the same thing - why AT&T wouldn't want GoogleVoice to be easy for us to use. Now if I can just get it working on my jailbroken phone, I'll be very happy. Even so, it still works with incoming calls today. And if you are patient, you can use the web app to launch outgoing calls as well. If nothing else, it will reduce the number of minutes used.

shadowd7

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
yes google voice is awesome and the fact that you can get unlimited calls with the fav 5 concept, (which AT&T is adopting very soon from what I've heard)

does anyone have a delay in audio while dialing out with GV Mobile or the manual way? (dialing ur GV number then 2 then the number you want to dial)
Like while im talking people cut me off because they think im like not saying anything or vice-versa.....

if anyone knows what I mean and might have a fix for it PLEASE HELP!!! lol
I dont think it has anything to do with data b/c it does use data to initiate google to call your phone but after that its a wireless provider thing, no?

any help would be grateful just so I know its not me....

btw if some1 calls my GV number and I answer its pretty smooth, no delay or anything...

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
yes google voice is awesome and the fact that you can get unlimited calls with the fav 5 concept, (which AT&T is adopting very soon from what I've heard)

does anyone have a delay in audio while dialing out with GV Mobile or the manual way? (dialing ur GV number then 2 then the number you want to dial)
Like while im talking people cut me off because they think im like not saying anything or vice-versa.....

if anyone knows what I mean and might have a fix for it PLEASE HELP!!! lol
I dont think it has anything to do with data b/c it does use data to initiate google to call your phone but after that its a wireless provider thing, no?

any help would be grateful just so I know its not me....

btw if some1 calls my GV number and I answer its pretty smooth, no delay or anything...

Uh...AT&T has had A-List going since 9/25. If you're on an individual plan of $59.99 or higher you can set it up right now.

shadowd7

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
Uh...AT&T has had A-List going since 9/25. If you're on an individual plan of $59.99 or higher you can set it up right now.

I saw the commercial but didn't know when, plus it doesn't really apply to me cuz I have an unlimited plan anyway
but it might be a good idea to downgrade my plan and save some money every month...

axox181

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Yep works just fine for me too. I use it everyday, I'm out of the country on business right now and the government gave me a ****** blackberry to use :mad: but popped my GV number in and its like I never left. Plus our IT guy said it's cool as long as you use GV as the go between so no stateside restrictions either!

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
In case people hadn't noticed, you can port your real cell number to GV now. You lose out on some features if you do that though. It basically make it so GV handles your voicemail and little else.

cusco

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
man i'm one of the lucky few that bought the 3Gs overseas that came with factory unlock. so my phone isn't JB.

thus, if i want to use GV, i'd have to do it from the browser? isn't there an app that can do that? i don't mind if i'd have to pay for it.

i'm spoiled from using the MT3G where it has direct messenging and calling using GV. with the 3Gs, i can't customize my default messenging to use GV, or is there a way for that?

please help~ thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.