Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
... I do think there is plenty of room for technology in the class room. I just think it's too distracting in the lecture hall. Your students need to be focusing on the material you're presenting, not the tools you're using to present it. If you think they are capable of doing that, then by all means use the iPad.

I feel like we're straying into a different conversation here. The OP asked a couple of specific questions about using the iPad as a teacher -- like whether it's possible to cut-and-paste from the web into class notes. Other teachers like me responded that, yeah, you can do that, and other stuff too. It's cool!

Now you seem to be hearing voices murmuring seductively that we teachers ought to forget the material we are presenting, and focus instead on the tools we're using to present it. Nobody but you is actually suggesting such a thing, and you are not a teacher yourself, but nonetheless you are bravely taking a stand to save us from this grave imaginary error.

We are so grateful for your conditional approval to do our jobs the way we please ("If you think they are capable of doing that, then by all means use the iPad") and we extend our sincere best wishes to your fiancé, who apparently has a rough road ahead. Is she allowed to own an iPad too, or does she first have to prove she can handle it?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I feel like we're straying into a different conversation here. The OP asked a couple of specific questions about using the iPad as a teacher -- like whether it's possible to cut-and-paste from the web into class notes. Other teachers like me responded that, yeah, you can do that, and other stuff too. It's cool!

Now you seem to be hearing voices murmuring seductively that we teachers ought to forget the material we are presenting, and focus instead on the tools we're using to present it. Nobody but you is actually suggesting such a thing, and you are not a teacher yourself, but nonetheless you are bravely taking a stand to save us from this grave imaginary error.

We are so grateful for your conditional approval to do our jobs the way we please ("If you think they are capable of doing that, then by all means use the iPad") and we extend our sincere best wishes to your fiancé, who apparently has a rough road ahead. Is she allowed to own an iPad too, or does she first have to prove she can handle it?

I wasn't questioning whether teachers can handle an iPad, I was questioning whether the students will be too distracted by the teacher's use of it in class (specifically during lectures). I'm also not questioning a teacher's ability to evaluate the tools they use to perform their job. Finally, I never claimed to be, nor intended to project that I was, an expert in all things related to teaching.

All I did was point out that my fiance has made the choice to limit the use of technology in her class room because it detracted from the learning environment. Others may have this experience, or they may not. I thought it would provide value to supply a response that differed from the "Use the iPad for everything you can just because you can," cheer leading that others express around here.

And since you asked, my fiance does have her own iPad.

Now would you like a step ladder? It looks pretty high up there on your horse.

jennmelb

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Teaching with iPads an exciting evolving experience.

I've been teaching with an iPad with tertiary students since sept 2010. It has become an invaluable tool for me, in the classroom and as an administrative assistant. There is huge potential for teachers at all levels to use this device. In both 1:1 settings where all students and the teacher and have an iPad, or in those where just the teacher has one, the opportunities for linking with information, sharing documents, collaborating on and creating content is enhanced.

It's perhaps too soon to know if there are measurable improvements to student learning by using iPads, but I'd imagine that improvements are just as hard to measure with other forms of network linked technology. Time will tell.

As to whether iPads distract students from the lessons, iPads are no different to other technologies like laptops, phones, iPods, or pens and paper. (I loved to draw when bored in lectures). Students can be distracted by many things, often unrelated to technology. Good classroom management, engaging relevant content, and engaging delivery minimize distraction and maximize potential learning.

It's actually quite insulting to experienced teachers when they are assumed to be so blinded by a new technological opportunity that they will abandon pedagogy and good teaching to focus on it. This line often appears in critiques of, or doom-like warnings about iPad use in teaching, like the responses to that recent NYT article cited above. These narrow critiques mostly come from people who don't teach, haven't tried the iPad themselves, or have brand issues. Experienced teachers know when a particular learning situation can benefit from technology use, and when it is indeed more appropriate to use a whiteboard and marker, or simply have a vigorous discussion or debate.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is it better or just cool. I was given a Kindle for xmas. I like the feel of a book to read. But I teach a class every week. I put the class together on word and then print it out. If could email it to an ipad that might be a real step forward.

I've heard you can't multi-task with ipad. Does that mean I could be in the class room searched the net for a reference and then insert it into my class notes?

Please advise

Thanks

Another dead thread revival, this time to spam, but again it is interesting to look back at how far we have come.

Now we have iTunes U, iBooks Author, textbooks from major companies etc. schools are jumping to go iPad left and right.

tmurray87

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
When I student taught this past fall (with a fifth grade class) I used my iPad 3 a great deal. I would have my notes or lesson plans up on it via dropbox (since I was not able to use the in school wifi) I would also connect via (I want to say) VGA cable to the project and use some of the apps on the smartboard. For math I also set a certain group of children to use fraction apps so they could practice. It made my life so much easier. I only wish I could have had used the wifi so I could have just used an apple tv to mirror the ipad without a wire hanging.

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
I found my iPad to be quite handy while teaching last semester, especially in recitation, since I could keep their homework, quiz info, course calendar and notes, and the digital textbook open and ready to go. If nothing else, it greatly reduced the number and weight of items I had to take with me into the classroom.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Yes... I've lectured with it. Teaching high school graphic design is done best with an iPad. Using the photo app, I build me example graphics where I can pinch and zoom into the work. The device is plugged into a projector and works great! Always a pleasure teaching this way.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Is it better or just cool. I was given a Kindle for xmas. I like the feel of a book to read. But I teach a class every week. I put the class together on word and then print it out. If could email it to an ipad that might be a real step forward.

I've heard you can't multi-task with ipad. Does that mean I could be in the class room searched the net for a reference and then insert it into my class notes?

Please advise

Thanks

What a confusing post. Hope this isn't my kids teacher! :eek:

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Oddly enough, my sister has delivered lectures to one of her classes using a Kindle Fire HD. In terms of the features she uses, she tries to keep everything fairly simple, as the devices her (mostly adult) students bring range from a bottom of the range Chromebook to a top of the rang iPad.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Please advise

Thanks

I use the iPad with Apple TV 3 to give demos and run through PDFs etc at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.