Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
well apple has a weird way of measuring "usage"... On the note 3 thread ive seen between 5-6 hours of on screen time whereas my iphone 5s gets about 7 hours of "usage". However, that usage is not just screen on time but also when the phone is being used without the screen (ie: music). Battery life so far seems on par with the note 2.

Ive seen how much the gold is going and its ridiculous! Hopefully I can get enough to even make my note 3 purchase free!

True. I got 6hrs 8mins I believe it was and all but about 15 minutes of phone calls were screen time. Web browsing, texts, emails, games and navigation.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Even in a year, your gold iPhone will be worth twice what the Note 3 will be. The Note's value will drop next month when the next big Android phone comes out. Make sure you get a lot for it though, they are still selling for over a grand. The battery life is not longer either. Look at the Note 3 thread, users are getting 3-5 hours usage. I get over 6 on my 5s. The bigger battery is canceled out by the much larger and full 1080p display.

No I get 5-6 hours easily on my note 3...hasn't been below 5 hours screen time.its also done differently to how apple does usage.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have large hands (can cover a normal dinner plate and palm a basketball) and even for me I'm not sure I'd like the Note 3 so much after seeing and handling the Note 2. Around the house and in and out of meetings I can see its place but for my every day life I just don't see how it fits in. No pun intended. For me a 4.7 inch screen is the sweet spot. I'm even fine with 5.

I've actually considered buying one of the Samsung Galaxy Mega devices but I'd likely never use them as a daily driver.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I haven't received my 5s yet but I'm still debating. If I had a iOS device, I probably wouldn't bother with getting the 5s. The Note 3 is pretty dang tempting except the bootloader is locked on AT&T and I need international language support.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, and I'm no Samsung fan to begin with.

The only Samsung product in my house is a laundry washer. My DVD-R player and Samsung Focus are long gone. I find Samsung to be a bit generic and hate their current design language. I have Samsung product catalog in my condo. Almost every one of their smartphones looks the same. Galaxy S4, Note II, Grand, Mega, Win, Core, S Duos, et cetera et cetera. But the Note 3 seems like an exception. On the front, it looks more like the Note 1 but with a bigger screen but narrower. And they removed that hyperglaze back from the Note II with put a faux leather one which is a dream to hold if you ever owned a BB Bold 9000. I like it and do have some Note 3 lust and envy for it. I'm also starting to want a bigger screen too for better texting, browsing, and viewing content packed with a larger battery.

Easier to get bored, dizzy, or even headaches after trying out iOS7. Welcome to the Tim Cook era where lack of attention to detail and Apple's working environment is much happier, lax, and friendlier now that SJ and Forstall are gone. This is could be 1985-1997 all over again for Apple. Luckily, Apple locked up so many users with their ecosystem that the ship wont sink anytime soon. And it has 3rd party apps to HIDE the many flaws and restrictions of iOS to keep them afloat.

I think 2013 might be the first time in a very long time that Apple released two UGLY looking products in the same year - iOS7 and iPhone 5c.

It took me awhile to accept Android was a better OS and eventually I came to realize it is. And now I believe Android is the better-looking OS after iOS7. Cross fingers and hope Apple doesnt keep that design for the next six years.

Apple is no longer the Apple that Steve Jobs helped built and rebuilt.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I would be embarrassed to use that thing in public

I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

iphone_5c_case_yellow_on_green_hero.jpg

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

Too funny. Did Cook and Ive have a bet that with so many fanbois they could make a butt ugly case and millions would still buy it? I guarantee that if any other tech co made that case, the isheep would ridicule it to no end.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Too funny. Did Cook and Ive have a bet that with so many fanbois they could make a butt ugly case and millions would still buy it? I guarantee that if any other tech co made that case, the isheep would ridicule it to no end.

If anybody made such a minor upgrade such as Iphone 5 to 5S not that many would be crazy enough to upgrade..the power of apple.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
If anybody made such a minor upgrade such as Iphone 5 to 5S not that many would be crazy enough to upgrade..the power of apple.

So true. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new iPads. Either a retina mini or a slimmed down 5 would be nice. Either would compliment my Galaxy Note 8 and my future Note 3. My iPad 2 is either going to a friend or ebay.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So true. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new iPads. Either a retina mini or a slimmed down 5 would be nice. Either would compliment my Galaxy Note 8 and my future Note 3. My iPad 2 is either going to a friend or ebay.

Before people blast me for that comment..It's a great device and worth getting but not if you have an iphone 5.

I have an ipad 2 but thinking about getting note 10.1 2014 or maybe the 12.2 if it comes out. Will consider the new ipad but I do like the drag and drop features of the note and the multitasking features you don't get on the ipad..will see.

I just want a great screen for my tablet.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I like Samsung hardware, but like Sony they seem to pull their software engineers off a product the moment it's out of beta.

Apple on the other hand gives you about 3 years of constant software updates on their products.

What are you talking about Samsung are very good at keeping there devices updated.

Last edited:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I am tempted but I'm leaning towards the HTC One now. I'm concerned about the large size for running while listening to music.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013

They upgraded the processor, camera and added features to the OS. Same exact thing Samsung does from model to model....plus, you are assuming everyone upgrading owns a 5 which is nowhere close to accurate. Most are upgrading from a 4s or older. Big difference between the 4s and 5s.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They upgraded the processor, camera and added features to the OS. Same exact thing Samsung does from model to model....plus, you are assuming everyone upgrading owns a 5 which is nowhere close to accurate. Most are upgrading from a 4s or older. Big difference between the 4s and 5s.

I said upgrading from an iphone 5! yes it is a great upgrade from anybody from a 4-4S.

It was upgraded but an updated processor and a finger scanner isn't worth upgrading...not even close.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Once you buy a Samsung phone, you never buy another... Samsung phone.

But once you buy an iPhone, you always go back to the iPhone. ALWAYS!

MUAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I said upgrading from an iphone 5! yes it is a great upgrade from anybody from a 4-4S.

It was upgraded but an updated processor and a finger scanner isn't worth upgrading...not even close.

So how is an S4 a worthy upgrade to an S3 or a Note 3 from a Note 2 when all they have done is upgraded the processor, camera and made tweaks to the OS? Same thing Apple did from the 5 to 5s

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So how is an S4 a worthy upgrade to an S3 or a Note 3 from a Note 2 when all they have done is upgraded the processor, camera and made tweaks to the OS? Same thing Apple did from the 5 to 5s

You kidding right? those upgrades were far more than just an upgraded processor and better camera. They actually added very good features and a full HD screen display and made the screen bigger.

The note 2 to the note 3 has been a clear improvement in all areas. The iphone has looked the same for the past 3 years.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Note 2 to Note 3:

Increased screen size

Increased pixel density

Increased ram

Increased storage

Increased battery

Decreased the size

Decreased the weight

And still have the option for expandable storage via microsd and replaceable battery.

Yeah, exactly the same thing as the iPhone.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Once you buy a Samsung phone, you never buy another... Samsung phone.

But once you buy an iPhone, you always go back to the iPhone. ALWAYS!

MUAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

Not true, my last three phones have been Samsung

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.