Is anyone tethering 3GS 3.1.3 with MyWi ???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 3, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

Am a complete newby to this. Have been reading forums for two evenings, and need some clarity Re. tethering. Am going to buy a iphone 3GS 16G soon, and it will have 3.1.3 firmware. Have been told that 3.1.3 can not tether, and have been told it can--confused. It is essential that I be able to tether after jailbreak, so, a few basic questions:

1. Is anyone tethering a laptop with an iphone 3GS, 3.1.3 with MyWi ?
    2. Is there some way to tether this phone, other than with MyWi ?
    3. Is MyWi stable enough that you can tether for 8 hours straight without going off-line, ie. loosing the connection often, or at all ?
    4. Do you tether wirelessly, or with a cable ?
    5. Is the transmission speed faster with a USB cable than wirelessly ?
    6. If you tether with a USB cable, will the iphone simultaneously get charged while tethering with the same USB cable ?
    7. If not, can you tether w/the USB cable, and charge with some other cable at the same time ?

Again, thanks for your time and generosity.

2. cowsrus macrumors 6502

well I am using a 3G instead of 3GS but on 3.1.3 nevertheless

1. Just spent 2 hours tethering my iPhone to my laptop
    2. Yes, other apps, but mywi is the best imo
    3. If you have your phone charging, then yes, but it will drain your phone of battery in about 2 hours max if not charging
    4. Either or
    5. Not 100% sure, but I do know that through just wifi tethering I see speeds 90% of my usual wifi speeds, not much difference when tethering with a cable
    6. Yes it will
    7. ...not sure how you would plug your phone into two cables at once..luckily it charges while you tether through a cable

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I'm on a 3GS 32 gig with 3.1.3, the new baseband, and the spirit JB.

1. Yes, I use MyWi and can tether to my MacBook very easily. I was impressed with the speed as well!
    2. There are other apps that do it, but MyWi works very well and is the most well known.
    3. Seems pretty stable, you won't lose the wifi signal from the phone, and the phone's signal just depends on the reception in your area.
    4. Over Wifi
    5. Perhaps, but why bother if you can just do it wirelessly. The wifi is very very quick. Faster than the 3G speeds, so the wifi isn't the rate limiting step.
    6. Yes. You can also continue to do wifi tethering while the phone's plugged into the USB and charging.
    7. The phone only has one plug. No matter what data is going through it, it will also be charging the phone as long as it's connected to something.

Hope that helps!

4. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

that's great info, but just to clarify...

when you day, "1. Just spent 2 hours tethering my iPhone to my laptop.", do you don't mean that it took you 2 hours to set up the tethering process, or do you mean that you were connected to the internet via tethering for two hours ?

Again, thanks.

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Can't speak for the above guy but I can't imagine setting it up took that long. After you install mywi, you literally just switch "wifi tethering" from "off" to "on." It starts immediately. It couldn't be more simple and intuitive. I was doing it on mine for about an hour straight today at a friend's house.

6. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

7. marcoVU macrumors newbie

Set up took me about 10 minutes yesterday (8 of which was picking a 10 digit security key. Btw, if you make one that has zeros on the end, make sure you put that into the laptop or ipad or whatever you are connecting. It took me some time).

I did a little impromptu test last night and while I don't have the exact numbers with me at work (yeah being productive) After an hour of streaming Netflix on my iPad through MyWi (approx 270 mb downloaded), my phone had a little more than 70% left. This was impressive to me since it was constantly streaming and will suit me in a pinch. Just a note that I started both the iPhone and iPad at 100% (iPad was down to a little more than 90%). Hope this helps some.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

How was the Netflix quality when using MyWi for your internet on the iPad. I'm very curious about this as it is my one concern when choosing a 3G vs no 3G iPad today.

9. marcoVU macrumors newbie

Honestly, it was quite impressive. I had full reception, but it's spotty in my house. Anyway, It wasn't up to the quality of the wifi, but i was hard pressed to not be impressed. The only time I could tell it wasn't wifi was when i did full screen, but even then i had to put the ipad closer to my face to tell. If I get a chance during the day and I can get out of the office to my car, I'll try and get a screenshot for you.

10. boatski macrumors regular

works fine, takes like 2 minutes to get setup completely.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Sweet, thanks for using the 3G network to sucks down movies on netflix. Dude use wifi, save some bandwidth for everyone :p. You're like the guy who eats himself to death at a buffet just 'cuz it says all you can eat...

12. gretafour macrumors regular

Some of us don't want to pay for two connections to the same interwebs, if we can avoid it! :p

13. marcoVU macrumors newbie

Trust me, I'm with you, but I just did it for testing purposes and only a crazy person would use 3G at home when they have wi-fi. Besides, AT&T is pretty good around in the Philly area, so I wouldn't feel too guilty.

Here are the photos I took realy quick using 3G through MyWi. The first is the regular size and the second is the zoomed in version.

Normal
    [​IMG]

Zoom
    [​IMG]

If you want larger pics, let me know. Well, off to watch Seven streaming from Netflix on 3G at the buffet.;) (By that, I mean back to work.)

14. butasama macrumors newbie

Looks like most people are having no problems with MyFi, so I guess I should spread some malice..

MyFi does not work using my 3GS / 16GB / 3.1.3 / SpiritJB / 05.12.01 baseband..

Well it works 10%, as in downloading torrents, it does not let me browse the web with Google Chrome / FireFox / Opera / IE..

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate btw...

15. marcoVU macrumors newbie

Did you by any chance have it password protected? I had a slight issue with the password before by not putting all 10 numbers for the key into my computer and ipad. Did you try it with another computer? Might be some crazy setting on Windows.

16. twezzyfbaby macrumors regular

twezzyfbaby

is it possible to use myfi on a ps3? if so could someone explain how? thanks