Is anyone using Aviate?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by cleanup, Aug 17, 2013.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

I received an invite about a month ago. The concept is very neat and it is sure pretty, but I switched back to Nova Launcher fairly quickly. I really can't describe why I didn't love using Aviate and why I switched back quickly. I guess I don't love having all of my applications on my homescreens (in one way or another).

3. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Just requested an invite. This looks like it has some potential, can't wait to try it out.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks good, signed up to try it too, but it does look like one of the many themes you can download on buzz launcher.

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Sure, it might look like it, but Buzz Launcher ends up being a horrifying mess that takes way too long to get working properly because every them requires like 20 minutes of "customisation" to get working. I find it really buggy and way too troublesome.

Aviate is meant to be more intelligent and simple, at the cost of extreme customization; it's meant to bring the Google Now experience to the homescreen.

6. JH- macrumors 6502

So this would reorder your icons on your home screen? Would this also work with widgets or does it totally take over and create widgets and icons based on your usage?

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I believe you can replace the widgets but it certainly comes with some that work best given the relatively fixed layout. Ends up feeling like more of an OS overhaul than a simple new launcher layout. In effect it actually removes customisability with the benefit of hopefully a more fluid and simpler experience.

8. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I gave it a whirl but it just seemed too bland for me. I think it was the lack of customization but I really can't remember why I deleted it shortly after install.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

10. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I tried it its a nice concept but not that well executed or that customizable so i uninstalled it.

11. strausd macrumors 68030

Tried it, didn't like it.

I like my widgets and I like always knowing exactly where my apps are. A dynamic home screen sounds all nice and good, but it just means you don't always know where your apps will be.

12. Razeus macrumors 603

Oh, I'm sorry. Putting my data out there in the open without me knowing is what I call spying. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Like they said in the article, Android tells you the permissions it needs when you install it. If you read through them, you'll know they were gathering data when you installed the app. Putting it out there in the open is poor security, not spying.

Either way, it doesn't fit my needs and I think it's a crappy launcher.