Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by venividivigor, Jul 8, 2015.
My Finder sidebar is cramped into a small space, and it wont let me adjust it. any fix?
My sidebar is also messed up
Nope, they messed up. The dock also has issues with shadowing.
I can adjust it but it goes back to small every time i open a new window.
At least they brought the sidebar tab you're on being highlighted when you open a new window.
Happening to me as well, it goes back to the minimum width with every new window. Must be a bug in this beta.
Just installed El Capitan, so far everything seems butter smooth except this thing with the sidebar Guess theres no fix for it except waiting for another update. ...downgrading to yosemite is at least not an option, since everything else seems better and faster. Like getting a new machine really.
Huh, my sidebar looks fine and it's adjustable for me. What's going on with your computers, fellas?
Mine is unadjustable. Forgets it and goes back to cramped as soon as I close the window.
Would somebody mind posting screenshots?
You guys are talking about this, right?
My finder looks like this.
Weird. So you definitely tried to resize it, right? Even if the resize icon on the cursor doesn't activate?
I did a screen recording. Youtube is processing it. Will update when finished. But yeah.
Only difference between us is I don't have tags on the side. Also using dark mode. Other than those two differences, I don't see why I don't have this issue and you do. This is a fresh install, maybe that's why? If you did yours as an update maybe that's why it's messed up?
Nope. I did mine as a fresh install.
Same here with public beta.. It bothers me because I have the icon sizes set to fit to the window size, and now they don't
Same here, but overall the 10.11 is quite good versus Yosemite of which I had no real issues. Video speed does seem much better.
Same issue with the sidebar as well as sorting by name doesn't work after rebooting. With sort by name set for folders, some folders forgets and has a random sort after a reboot. If you click into the folder, back out and in again, sorting is fixed until the next reboot or Finder is restarted.
Was working fine in beta 1 and beta 2.
Yup, this is new in DP3/PB1. It's happening on both my machines. Very annoying but not unusable.
Already filed a bug report.
While the next version doesn’t fix this bug I propose an different solution. But I like it so much that I will use it forever:
1. With Automator create (or copy and past from link bellow) an applescript to open a new tab in finder (from the last opened folder):
2. Before the last line of AppleScript ("end run”) copy and paste this line to set the sidebar width:
tell application "Finder" to set the sidebar width of every Finder window to 180
3. Run and test the script and set the sidebar witdh (180) to the best value for you.
4. Use OSX AppleScript Editor to Export this script to an “Add New Tab.app”. A good tip is export and save it to the folder that you want to be the default tab folder (in the case when no tab was already opened).
5. After export and save it, move “Add New Tab.app” to Applications folder.
6. This app is going to use some Accessibility features, so is necessary add it to the list "System Preferences-->Security and Privacy->Privacy->Accessibility” and authorize it to control the computer.
7. Now we need only create an keyboard shortcut (Shift+Command+T) in Finder to run “Add New Tab.app” to open a new window (if no window already opened) or tab. After this we can use it in place of default shortcut (Command+T) to open new window or tab with correct width (see the tutorial bellow):
ps: A good tip is to set this shortcut in all applications and not only in Finder to open a new finder window when necessary. You have to make some small additional steps:
8. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts -> All Applications
9. Add new line with properties:
Application: All Applications
Menu Title: New Tab
Keyboard Shortcut: Shift-Command-T
10. Now, test the shortcut. This Service will appear at every app into Services menu and will work as you want.
I have a better idea. Apple, just fix it please!
Yes, Finder sidebar is messed up for me to. Bug is already filed via Feedback Assistant. You should do too.
Yes, I agree. But the Apple response for this bug now is: .... [crickets chirping].
Wait for final version in fall, because the this type of bug is only corrected in final version... if it is really done.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I submit the bug via Feedback Assistant, also.
I just got received a duplicate notification for this bug from Apple: Duplicate of 21617313 (Open). At least they are aware of it. I'm sure it will get fixed in a future update.