Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have the iPhone 6s battery issue and I'm going to have to wipe it (according to Apple) to bring it in for a new battery.

I can't remember, is anything lost, particularly from, say, the Mail inbox or the Photo camera roll when creating an encrypted backup and later restoring an iPhone (iOS 10.2) from that backup?

Thanks.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Nope. With encrypted backup, everything will be restored, including your health data, sms/imessaging, even photos. They are all restored where you last backed up.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I used an encrypted backup from my 6S+ to restore my new 7+ and all came over except some of the Apps which downloaded right after the restore.

If you have music that Apple does not think you own, it will also not be restored. All else should be 100%

Reactions: Applejuiced

Old Yeller

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
Indiana
The back up is just a precaution in case something goes wrong with the battery replacement. I just had my battery replaced yesterday and had no problems. You do not need to erase your phone. You will need to turn off Find My IPhone and passcode locks then after the battery is replaced turn them back on. With an appointment they said come back in two hours. I checked back in an hour and a half and it was ready. Battery life is much better after one day. We'll see how it holds up over the next few days.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I used an encrypted backup from my 6S+ to restore my new 7+ and all came over except some of the Apps which downloaded right after the restore.

If you have music that Apple does not think you own, it will also not be restored. All else should be 100%

But of course, any such music can be recovered by syncing with your iTunes library. I've maintained my music library across 3 iPhones.

Reactions: ericwn

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup. An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks (You can back up this content using Transfer Purchases in iTunes.)
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (To back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204136

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Media download via apps. Audible books or amazon prime videos. Probably even Netflix downloads. But other than that everything else assuming it was an encrypted backup.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have done the same. Many lack this capability and do not have or use iTunes.

If you don't have or use iTunes you won't have music on the device that didn't originate from the iTunes Store on the device, most likely at least.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I understand that there is software or other ways to get music on your iPhone other than iTunes. Maybe I am wrong.

Yes, some people use file managers like Documents by Readdle (I like it a lot) - it's just relatively unlikely, as I said above, that this would be somebody's music listening device. There surely are other apps capable of loading or buffering music, but the vast majority of customers will use one of Apple's services for that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have done the same. Many lack this capability and do not have or use iTunes.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but then how would they have gotten non Apple purchased music on their device in the first place?

*edit*
I just saw your reply to a similar question above, but regardless, however they got the music on the phone in the first place they should be able to do again, as long as they haven't deleted it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.