Is Aperture 3 Dead Slow For Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waynechriss, Mar 31, 2011.

1. waynechriss macrumors regular

I recently switched from iPhoto to Aperture 3 and it crawls on my 2.13GHZ 2GB macbook. I don't take any DSLR photographs but when dealing with my compact camera photos, i'm always hit with the spinning beach ball of death for every single action, even when selecting individual photos. I'm considering going back to iPhoto but its difficult because I really like the Aperture brushes and organization of my photos but its so damn slow it really drives my patience.

Is it slow for anyone else or is it because my computer isn't up to snuff?

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Same here, even after updating to the 'fix' that was supposed to fix it!

Make sure you close Safari. What kills my Mac are those stupid Flash Ads on websites.

3. waynechriss thread starter macrumors regular

Ha ha just closed it and turned off Safari. Are you running yours on 64 bit? I found a tip online to run Aperture on 32 bit and i think it actually sped it up tremendously, i haven't had the beach ball for a couple of minutes!

4. hildey macrumors newbie

had the same problem which was why i uninstalled aperture and migrated my photos back to iphoto. its a shame really because I would like to have the extra photo manipulation options but i can't afford to wait several minutes every time I make an adjustment to a photo. If ya figure out how to fix it it would be fantastic though!

5. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

I changed the Aperture 3 to run in 32Bit mode and it is MUCH faster and closes quicker.

Thanks for the heads-up!

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Amazing! Who would say 32-bits runs faster than 64-bits. It makes no sense, but if it works, it works. I'm going to try it.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I installed GlimmerBlocker to get rid of the pesky Flash Ads. Now the slowdowns are gone.
    Aperture has been running better too, but still in 64-bit, and it slows down every now and then.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Wow! I expected to be a little faster, but it's now flying!!! The contrast is amazing! thanks guys for the tip.
    Something must be wrong in Aperture that makes it run slower in 64-bit... oh well... new update may fix it... heheh!

9. djowens1 macrumors newbie

I'll have to say yes to this question here too. I am managing over 50,000+ images here via the 17" MBP with 4GB of RAM with a 9600 graphics card (which came with the computer in March 2009), but I'm noticing that it is much slower.

It seems the only time that I use Aperture is when I make sure that I don't have to do anything else "heavy" on the computer. How do you make Aperture run in 32-bit mode?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Aperture 3 runs fine for me in 64 bit mode. Then again I have 24 gigs of ram for it to eat so that may be a factor.

11. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I'll have to try that trick. I found it running slow and thought it may be getting near to upgrade time, might get another year or so out of the iMac now!

12. Almarma macrumors newbie

I knot this thread is a bit old but maybe this answer can be interesting for any other like me searching for info about Aperture.

There is a simple explanation about why there is a 32 and a 64 bits Aperture versions and why 64bits is slower in some Macs: 32 bit version can address (use) up to 4 GB of RAM (in theory), and for users with more RAM, this is a problem, as they could use more and make their work faster. That's why we all will move from 32 to 64 bits in the next years. But these days, for users like me with 4GB RAM or less, to use the 64 bits version make no difference, even more, as A3 can address all the RAM, it tries to, and that kills the performance, because the swap file starts to grow and everything starts to get slower and slower. But using the 32 bit version, A3 must use less RAM by design, and that makes 32 bit version much faster on Macs with 4GB or less, and so people with more RAM doesn't feel this problem: A3 in 64 bits is fast, even faster than 32 bits version, but only when it has enough physical RAM to use.