Is Aperture Right for me?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by W1MRK, May 17, 2011.

1. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2010
    Looking for advice.

New to DSLR photography and looking to get the right software the first time. I see many posts on both PS and Aperture but am still on the fence.

I just purchased a slightly used D80 with 15-55mm and 70-300 mm lenses.

My main focus will be nature, landscapes, and wildlife so I am looking for a program which will help me with colors and light. As well as help me organize and post.

I do not think I need all of the super advanced features of PS but I really wanted to hear comments from you guys if my main interest is scenic is aperture right for me or should I spend another 700 and get PS?

Thanks Mike
  2. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    In Hell
    I'd start with Aperture, you can download the 30 day trial from the Apple site and give it a try, it runs best on a newer Mac anything more than a couple of years old and it'll struggle.

I use both, aperture for cataloging and light work photo correction and photoshop for the heavy lifting. They're quite different programs.
  3. Waybo macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Aperture is great for organizing your files, and simple photo editing. PS doesn't do any file organization, but is the pros choice for photo editing. I would suggest that you try Aperture before you buy PS, because it might be all you need. PS is not only $$$$, it also has a steep learning curve. If you need more than Aperture for photo editing, you could consider Photo Shop Express. Good luck!
  4. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2010
    Sounds like Aperture will do fine for me and I really like the $80 price tag
  5. Ish macrumors 68020

Nov 30, 2004
    Aperture is more akin to Adobe's Lightroom than to Photoshop. You might like to look at that too. I'm currently using the trial of both to see which I want to use. My MBP's nearly 4 years old, but I will upgrade at some point, obviously, so want to try them both out.
  6. Keleko macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2008
    I use Aperture and Photoshop Elements 9. I really like the integration with iPhone/iPad syncing and organization in Aperture. However, I sometimes wish I had Lightroom just because I hear that it is really good at noise reduction. For now I'm happy enough with what I have, though.
  7. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2010