Is Aperture X going to be a whole new apps.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MauerFan07, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MauerFan07, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

MauerFan07 macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying Aperture (no, I don't want to illegally get it using the trial), but I was wondering if Aperture X is going to be a totally new app. Meaning if I pay for Aperture would I have to pay AGAIN for Aperture X?

Edit: Title should say "app" not "apps". :rolleyes:

2. Bear macrumors G3

The best answer you're going to get right now is "Maybe".

Apple may have been overly generous with the Aperture 3 licenses in the Mac App Store because they plan to charge for the next major version and didn't want to upset people by making them pay now for updates and pay again in 2 months for the new version. Presuming that the next major version will be out that soon. This falls under good customer relations and it also saves time dealing with upset customers.

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Has Apple launched any paid updates for software previously purchased in the App Store yet? Especially big titles?

Was Logic Pro 9 in the App Store?

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Yes, Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I don't believe FCP7 was ever in the App Store. Was Logic Pro 9?

There's no upgrade model on the App Store (much to the annoyance of developers) so it will be interesting to see if an Aperture Pro X is a free update for existing MAS Aperture owners.

6. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

FCS (which included FCP7) was never in the App Store, and the lack of FCPX as a free download upset a lot of the FCS owners that paid $1000 for the software, and then saw FCPX released for $300. Myself included.

Although, most people ended up sticking with FCP7 for a while until moving to a difference software. FCPX is not up to par with other professional editing software, as everyone knows. I sincerely hope they do not make the same mistake with Aperture X, and improve it and not make it a prosumer app.

I would wait to see what they do with Aperture X, before buying. I would download Aperture the less than legal way, while I wait, to avoid having to pay twice. Then once you have more facts, spend the money to buy it legitimately.