Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Why not? Gap has something similar. So do some other upscale dept. stores; Nordstrom's, etc...

Next time you're in an area that has a Microsoft store, go check it out and see if it doesn't look familiar...?

It's a type of branding. You seem to have way too much time on your hands, or have a real hair across your a$$ about Apple?

Did you read the article? I am not the only one that feels this way. No one trademarks their store design no one. Just makes you look stupid. They got denied 2 times before for trying this if that says anything.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Ok so I am a long time buyer of Apple products and notice I did not say fan. I had the iphone 3G then the iphone 4. I also have a MacBook and an ipad 2. While I like the products Apple has as a company I am not too fond of. After I was tired of my iphone 4 I got an android phone and had several before getting the iphone 5 which is what I am using currently.

I wanted to give you some back ground before I went into my rant or whatever you want to call it. Ok so I have heard it many times from people the phrase " iPhone *******" and really did not think that much of it. I am really starting to understand why they would say that. After seeing 3 or 4 iphone keynotes over the iPhones lifetime it seems Apple has this mind set of look at how great we are. Why did Steve Jobs and now Tim Cook have to tell us every time how many apps have been paid for and downloaded, and how many apps there are in the App Store. We all know how big the App Store is and how they sell a ton them. Also they point out how the iphone they are holding in there hand is the best smartphone ever made and nothing can come close. Then they decide they need to show us how well the last iphone sold. Why just let us decide with our money how awesome the iphone is. It just has that douche bag mind set of greatness. Now I am not saying that Apple should not get praised for there great products, but let other people do that not do it yourself it come off like you are an *******. Customers who buy the iphone get roped into that same category.

I am not saying that being called an iphone ***** is something to keep someone from buying an iphone. Just think about why you are buying an iphone. Is it because you love the phone and the feature it brings or are you buying into the mind set of look how cool I am I got an iphone. I mean people go out of the way to get a case that shows the apple logo.

I am not saying every owner of an iPhone is like this, but we get grouped into that category when we do buy them. Stereotypes have to start from something, and this one is one of the many that have enough evidence to back it. It just makes me hate Apple and what they state for even more. I am sure most of the comments I get want help me like them any more either.

If someone is actually making comments on you in the real world out there, ignore them as they are sad individuals for making comments on what kind of material possession you have.

If you are getting upset because of tech sites and forums, use your device for stuff YOU like to do and you will see you will not even care to debate anything on forums, because you are happy with your device and what's to debate if you are not unhappy?

I don't see why you are taking this to heart. If people call me iPhone whatever or android whatever on forums, it does not affect my health in any way, not does it decrease the effectiveness of the device. This is the internet, take it light.

Last edited by a moderator:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
While I like the products Apple has as a company I am not too fond of.
So which is more important to you?

If you don't find Apple's products worthwhile -- for whatever reason(s) -- then don't use them. No one product is best suited for every single person out there and that's why worth is a highly subjective thing. Use whatever works for you.

Stereotypes have to start from something, and this one is one of the many that have enough evidence to back it. It just makes me hate Apple and what they state for even more.
And those who use stereotypes to judge (and, more often than not prejudge) others are small minded. People in any group vary -- especially as the group becomes larger and larger as is the case with "Apple users" which are in the millions.

If the labeling of the users of Apple products bothers you then, again, stop using Apple products. I use what I need/want -- not what others perceive of those that use what I prefer. However, again, you have to do what works for you. Ranting and rambling here accomplishes nothing. I can't speak for the mods and haven't seen your other threads but if this one is any indication then they were probably locked because they were trolling whether intentionally or not. Sort out your priorities and take appropriate action. Stop assuming that there are some broad, sweeping trends indicated simply by your own perspective and opinion. Shared and common opinion is still opinion, not fact.

Last edited:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Did you read the article? I am not the only one that feels this way. No one trademarks their store design no one. Just makes you look stupid. They got denied 2 times before for trying this if that says anything.

I did read it...and places have trademarked similar things. Also, I wouldn't use Gizmodo as a valid source of information. Talk about looking stupid. Why not reference Wikipedia?

Again, why so angry? How does this affect you in any way? Do you work? Do you have a life, and family? Go read a book, catch a movie...

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Last edited:

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I did read it...and places have trademarked similar things. Also, I wouldn't use Gizmodo as a valid source of information. Talk about looking stupid. Why not reference Wikipedia?

Again, why so angry? How does this affect you in any way? Do you work? Do you have a life, and family? Go read a book, catch a movie...

Things like this do make me mad. Do you know how many millions of dollars Apple put into trying to trademark their store design? That makes me mad. There are millions of people without jobs and Apple is spending money on trademarking their story. Come on now something is wrong.

----------

Here's the same story, but without the "negative" spin from Gizmodo.

There is no link. Also gizmodo gives apple a lot of love

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Things like this do make me mad. Do you know how many millions of dollars Apple put into trying to trademark their store design? That makes me mad. There are millions of people without jobs and Apple is spending money on trademarking their story. Come on now something is wrong.

----------

There is no link. Also gizmodo gives apple a lot of love

Well, they're spending millions to protect, what they feel, is THEIR intellectual property and branding that they spent millions on to develop to sell their products. If you think Apple is the only one doing it, you're blind. And there are a number of reasons that millions are without jobs. Before you give yourself an ulcer, I'd take the advice I gave you earlier.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yup Apple is plenty aware that there are people who don't like them. They're called "Android Users"...

It's no big deal. People in life aren't going to like YOU either. You can either try and be what they like in order to please them (and be a complete cave-in to every bit of peer presure that comes along), or you can do what YOU want to do, act the way YOU want to act, and if people don't like it NOT care.

Apple has been the most successful company of the last 10 years pretty much by FAR. No one in that position isn't going to generate it's fair share of "haters". Some "haters" even use the products in SPITE of the hate because they are so darn good.

You can't please everyone. You are obviously part of the group who thinks Apple is doing something wrong. It's the minority position, but hey, it's a free country so you can vote with your dollars if it really bugs you that much.

Nothing's wrong with Apple. Haters still gonna hate. It is what it is.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Well, they're spending millions to protect, what they feel, is THEIR intellectual property and branding that they spent millions on to develop to sell their products. If you think Apple is the only one doing it, you're blind. And there are a number of reasons that millions are without jobs. Before you give yourself an ulcer, I'd take the advice I gave you earlier.

I am done. There is no use it does not matter what I say. If I said that ever time Apple sold an iphone they had someone killed you guys would some how find a way to explain it.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

This actually makes you mad? You seem to have a low threshold for sources of anger. BTW, there's a reason Apple did this; stores overseas open up claiming to be Apple stores selling knock offs and stolen items. You honestly believe Apple getting something trademarked is keeping people unemployed?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I am done. There is no use it does not matter what I say. If I said that ever time Apple sold an iphone they had someone killed you guys would some how find a way to explain it.

No, you're just over dramatizing things. You're also upset that people aren't telling you what you want to hear. If you presented your argument with rationale, then people would have probably supported some of the things you posted, and had some healthy dialogue.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If I had a company that consistently released the new best-selling smartphone ever and made massive profits, I would call my device the best smartphone ever too. It's marketing, get over it.

Samsung and their "Next Big Thing" marketing do the same or even go so far as to insult people who choose not to use their devices. It didn't offend me since I know why I choose iPhones over Galaxy phones. But it's the same type of marketing that Apple does but you called it "funny" rather than arrogant.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
No, you're just over dramatizing things. You're also upset that people aren't telling you what you want to hear. If you presented your argument with rationale, then people would have probably supported some of the things you posted, and had some healthy dialogue.

It would not have matter how I said any of what I said you know that as well as I do. If you say one negative thing about Apple or the iPhone you get trashed for it. That is why I said I am done. No matter what I say all of you have some kind of answer. So I bother.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

You could always start your own company to employ those people. Maybe you could design a new computer that helps to change the way computers are used. Then you could move on to mobile devices. If you create enough demand, you could even hire thousands of people to work in your factories, offices and stores to sell your new product. Oh, wait....

To put it another way, there are millions of people starving in impoverished nations and you're spending money on phones and gadgets and whining on forums. Come on now something is wrong!

If you really want to help people, help them! Don't try and blame someone else just because they're a high value corporation. Steve Jobs dropped out of college and started a company. There is nothing stopping you from doing the same (aside from your attitude perhaps). You could create a company worth billions that benefits hundreds of thousands of people around the world. Or, you could sit around and complain that the others who actually did that, aren't doing enough...

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It would not have matter how I said any of what I said you know that as well as I do. If you say one negative thing about Apple or the iPhone you get trashed for it. That is why I said I am done. No matter what I say all of you have some kind of answer. So I bother.

You can trash apple all you want for the things they actually mess up on.You know, on the things that warrant trash talking. Complaining that apple is successful and likes to talk good about their products is just......well......odd?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

:confused: Isn't a company spending many millions of dollars on things how people get jobs? Weird to be mad about a company creating jobs when you are concerned about the millions of people without jobs.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Regarding any Keynote presentation, I've always viewed it as a big Pep Rally, designed to point out all of the new "gee whiz" features and to inspire the attendees & followers to rally to the marketplace. There's nothing wrong with that concept. Apple has always gotten lots of press for these, largely because they are stand-alone events, rather than part of multi-company conferences like CES. Nothing makes the opposition more vocal than feeling like they're being eclipsed by someone/something else.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
What I think is pretty strange is how Apple is so proud about having such massive margins on their products (something like 20% of sales and 80% of the profit?) compared to other phone makers and using it as a sales pitch.

I personally, as a new buyer of Apple products that haven't followed or read too many of these "speaches" before, take that as "we charge you a ridiculous overprice for our products and that's what makes us having this ridiculously big pile of cash in the bank". They are more or less spelling it out that we pay a huge amount just for the Apple logo. And everyone still just bends over and keeps on taking it. I'm not all that sure that I will pick up the soap bar when it's time to switch phone next time...

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What I think is pretty strange is how Apple is so proud about having such massive margins on their products (something like 20% of sales and 80% of the profit?) compared to other phone makers and using it as a sales pitch.

I personally, as a new buyer of Apple products that haven't followed or read too many of these "speaches" before, take that as "we charge you a ridiculous overprice for our products and that's what makes us having this ridiculously big pile of cash in the bank". They are more or less spelling it out that we pay a huge amount just for the Apple logo. And everyone still just bends over and keeps on taking it. I'm not all that sure that I will pick up the soap bar when it's time to switch phone next time...

Or.. in many markets consumers aren't paying those "massive margins". Carriers are.

And, of course, most people that choose to pay more for an Apple device do so because of the features. Not the logo. The whole "overpriced" argument is just silly.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So I like for the most part all the products that Apple makes minus the ipad mini. I also understand that the iphone 5 may or may not be the best smartphone on the market. I am not a big fan of Apple marketing campaign. TO ME it comes across as arrogant. Most of you disagree.(well every single one of you disagrees with me) That is fine with me. I think that Apple trying to trademark things like store design, and slide to unlock are just stupid. The slide to unlock thing is something that was around long before Apple ever had it. ( side note if android wanted to they could have tried to sue Apple for the slide down to access notifications cause they had it first). Again none of you agrees with me which is kind of an under statement. In an earlier thread I pointed out the fact that Apple always talks about many sells they have and how big their company is, but I had about 20 posters tell me that they are not big enough to make agreements with the carriers for Apple to call the shots on what features work and what features don't on the iphone. My thought was if you are the most successful company of this last decade (which was stated here earlier) I would think you would have some say. You pick which carriers have your phones why can't you tell them how they work? Again I was very wrong and was told all about it.

I said all these things to point out some things I don't like about Apple, and think Apple user wear rose colored glasses. Which is fine I am a huge fan of Georgia football, and if you ask me I think they have a shot at a national title next year. Most people would say no way. I also realize there is still this other team called Alabama that aren't going away. I have owned both an Apple smartphone and an android smartphone and I like both. But I am not naive enough to think either company is better than the other. I just wanted give an opinion that was not held by about 90% of the posters on here. I did think that most would not agree, but I thought maybe some of you would agree of some of it. Mostly what I got was the defense of what Apple is doing. Good for you take up for the company of which you love and support with your money. I am just going to keep an open mind and hope smartphones and their creators keep getting better, so we keep getting the best the tech world has to offer.

Maybe I said it wrong the first time, but that is what I think. Just my thought agree or disagree I don't mind.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The slide to unlock thing is something that was around long before Apple ever had it.

No, it wasn't.

( side note if android wanted to they could have tried to sue Apple for the slide down to access notifications cause they had it first).

No, they couldn't. They have no patent on that feature. :confused:

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

As you will learn not matter what you say if it is not positive in terms of Apple or the iphone there is always an answer.

----------

Or.. in many markets consumers aren't paying those "massive margins". Carriers are.

And, of course, most people that choose to pay more for an Apple device do so because of the features. Not the logo. The whole "overpriced" argument is just silly.

Wow really? You and me and everyone else that owns an iphone are paying for massive margins. It called a 2 year contract that we pay over $1500 for over 2 years. That is what pays for those massive margins not the carriers. You think those greedy companies would be losing money on iPhones? Not a chance.

----------

No, it wasn't.

No, they couldn't. They have no patent on that feature. :confused:

Do some research the slide to unlock feature was around long before the iphone.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
As you will learn not matter what you say if it is not positive in terms of Apple or the iphone there is always an answer.

Or another perspective

Wow really? You and me and everyone else that owns an iphone are paying for massive margins. It called a 2 year contract that we pay over 1500 for over 2 years. That is what pays for those massive margins not the carriers. You think those greedy companies would be losing money on iPhones? Not a chance.

As I said, many carriers are eating the extra subsidies. In the US on major carriers, you don't pay more for service if you have an iPhone. But the carriers do pay Apple a higher subsidy than other similar smartphones.

Do some research the slide to unlock feature was around long before the iphone.

A slide to unlock feature was around prior to Apple's patent, but Apple didn't patent slide to unlock. They patented specific implementations of slide to unlock that involved manipulating an image along a pre-defined path.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Or another perspective

As I said, many carriers are eating the extra subsidies. In the US on major carriers, you don't pay more for service if you have an iPhone. But the carriers do pay Apple a higher subsidy than other similar smartphones.

A slide to unlock feature was around prior to Apple's patent, but Apple didn't patent slide to unlock. They patented specific implementations of slide to unlock that involved manipulating an image along a pre-defined path.

Oh so you really think carriers are eating cost on the iphone. You have to be out of your mind.

----------

Or another perspective

You ever give just another perspective, you just always argue in favor of Apple.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Oh so you really think carriers are eating cost on the iphone.

Out of my mind? It's common knowledge. Verizon Wireless and AT&T, for example, pay Apple around $100 more in subsidies than other smartphones. Service cost is the same as if you had an Android device.

Not sure what part you find hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.