Is Apple becoming like MS?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Evergreen, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

Apple's Animal Farm

Apple's customer service has always been the best I've ever received, the quality of their products is excellent, and I have no plans to stop using their computers after 15 years. I wouldn't buy an iPhone though because of their restrictions on 3rd party development. The rejection of Google Voice was a bad precedent that makes them look like the monster MS used to be.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

From the days following the clone wars, Apple has always sought tight control of the tight integration between its software (OS) and hardware. Some of the best features of the Apple experience results from this tight integration.

As for 3rd party developer restrictions for the iPhone, Apple is damned if they do or don't. As iTunes is the official distributor for iPhone Apps, Apple can be seen (or blamed) as "blessing" any App (remember Baby Shaker?). Anything that could blemish their image/or violate usage agreement with AT&T will likely be restricted. While their review process has been on occasions seemingly arbitrary, it is new water for them, and the process is improving.

Google Voice may conflict with user agreements with AT&T. OBTW, Google is no David to the Apple Goliath.

Welcome to capitalism. In 10 years Apple could well be marginalized by the next big thing.