Is Apple Care for iPhone worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mumty, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

What does Apple Care cover for iPhone? Is it worth it?
    Also, my upgrade is due in December, when I upgrade to 4S, do I have to buy a new plan or can I keep the Apple Care for my iPhone?

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

it is worth it for me, I have the 64gb version. It covers it for 2 years and if I drop it or break it, its only $50 to get a new one, without the protection plan it would be $800 :eek:.

and the protection plan is only good on the phone you buy it on, so no it does not transfer.

3. qpixo macrumors member

Applecare is worth if you want to keep your iPhone more than a year.
    Btw, what exactly options of iPhone 1 year warranty with Applecare cover??

But I think Applecare is a bit useless if you want sell your current one when iPhone 5 came out next year. Unless you have some bad luck within a year, broken, stealing, etc.

4. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

AppleCare+ is worth it as a replacement service. I bought a 64GB 4S and if, in the remote chance that if I drop my phone on the ground, run over it, or drop it in water y wife did that to her iPhone 4), Apple will replace the phone for $49.

I admit I only buy AppleCare for my computers and never my iOS devices...till now.

Now, I would like Apple to offer AppleCare+ for the iPad.

I just replaced my 64GB iPad 2 after I dropped it on the concrete coming out of my home!

I would loved to have paid only $99 or so for a replacement. Now I had to spend another $479 to replace it through the Genius Bar!

Bottom line...AppleCare+...worth it.

Just like having car insurance.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If your phone is damaged, no matter what the reason, I thought you could get another for $199. If that is so, i am not so sure that Apple Care is worth it. Never needed any warranty service on any of my iPhones so I like to gamble.

It would not be the end of the world if I had to buy another.

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

For an iPhone. Not really worth it for me. I rarely keep a phone longer than a year.

7. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

I didn't go for it. I likely wont have this phone more than a year.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think it's worthwhile since it covers accidental damage, not just "manufacturing defects".

9. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

That's what I thought about the iPhone 4 I bought on launch day June 24, 2010. September 2011 my wife's iPhone 4 falls into a body of water and I wished that I had gotten AppleCare. We had to buy her new iPhone 4 for $449.

The $199 replacement is not written in stone. Apple can offer you any price on the replacement phone up to full retail.

Who knows how long before the next iPhone?

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Wow sorry to hear that. I've had much better luck dealing with the Genus Bar. I dropped my 64gb iPad 2 and took it in to see what I could do. I was honest with them that it was my fault. They replaced mine with a brand new one. Said it was a one time replacement free of charge but was amazed they did it for me.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

From what I understand $199 will get you another phone without fail!:cool: