Is Apple Care for iPhone worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewfrank, Jun 19, 2010.

?

Is Apple Care on an iPhone worth it?

1. yes

39 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. no

76 vote(s)
    66.1%
  1. andrewfrank macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I was wondering about apple care for the iPhone. Do you think it is worth it? Tell me your experience/opinions on Apple Care for iPhone. What does it cover exactly? Does it suck? Is it a rip off?

I pre ordered the iPhone 4 (my first iPhone) and I am debating on whether or not i need the extra insurance.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Both my original iPhone (bought on launch day) and my iPhone 3G developed annoying clusters of dead pixels before they were two years old. I'll be buying AppleCare for my iPhone 4.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Apple care is NOT insurance... know that first and foremost... What apple care does is extend your warranty from 1 year to 2 years. You can buy apple care ANYTIME within the first year, you don't need to buy it right when you buy the phone. I just got apple care for my 3GS via ebay for $30 - if you buy it from apple it is $69 but it matters not where you buy it so long as it is legit. If you buy from ebay just make sure the seller has good feedback and sells lots of what you are buying.

4. Stankonia macrumors regular

If you plan on keeping it for more than a year it would probably be worth it. If you think you might want to upgrade again next year, it might not be worth it.

5. daver.cl macrumors member

Definitely worth it. You can pick up a plan from eBay for $30, and it's way easier than sending in to SquareTrade.

I had a SqareTrade warranty on my 3G, but I don't think I'll be buying one for the 4.

6. Advil macrumors 6502a

Not for me because I get a new phone every year and the warranty lasts the whole year anyway.

7. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

An iPhone has a better resale value if it has Apple Care.

8. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Very true - I sold off my 3G a while back, and I'm certain that the fact it was covered by AppleCare increased what I could get for it.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's definitely worth it. I had dust & eventually hair under the screen of my 3G. The first time I took it in Apple replaced the screen. The second time I took it in they gave me a perfect new iPhone (a refurb I imagine). I sold that one on eBay last week for $250 with iOS4 GM jailbroken and Applecare till next May. That financed my iPhone 4 :D Both times I took it in I was out of there within 10 minutes. Great service!

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

As others have said, for the first year after your purchase, the phone is under warranty. So any problems you have during that first year (other than water damage) will be taken care of by Apple. AppleCare is only necessary to extend that coverage to two years. I'd wait to see if you plan to keep the phone for 2 years before buying AppleCare.

11. bravens52 macrumors regular

its not worth it. every year I purchase my iphone with my credit card which extends my warranty a extra year.

12. M87 macrumors 65816

Seems pointless if you intend to upgrade every year.

13. quid squid macrumors regular

purchased on my credit card that gives me an extra year on a warranty just for using the card for the purchase.

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I get a new phone every year so I don't plan on it.

15. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

No, because I only keep my iPhones a year. If I kept them two years, I'd definitely consider it.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not worth it, imo. If it was insurance like some stores sell (where they tell you "Take a hammer to it, for all I care!"), then it would be. But its not, it's just a basic warranty extension. I'm not saying it's useless, but since I only keep my phone on average for a year and a half before upgrading, I just don't see the need. I can put that cash towards another phone, which I would do eventually anyways.

Plus, screen replacements are cheap if that's what ends up going south.

17. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I've never extended my warranty with applecare, but as it stands atm i think i may keep my iphone 4 for more than a year so i'am thinking about extending. however as you have up till a year to purchase the extended warranty i will purchase it about this time next year if i do decide to keep my iphone 4 instead of getting a new one.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It is absolutely worth it. You can get it for around $30-35 on Ebay or Amazon, and it's totally legit.

Squaretrade is probably good, but with Apple you just take it in to the store, and in most cases you walk out with it repaired or a replacement phone.

My phone developed a few issues after the first year, and I vowed to always get the Applecare in the future. For $30 it's a no-brainer. Even if you just have your headphones replaced in the second year, it's break even.

19. Eosblue macrumors member

For you NEW phone every year guys, I get where you're coming from. However, IF Apple Care is only $30, I believe you will get a higher price for your old phone and it will definitely be easier to sell.

20. Eosblue macrumors member

Apple Care Package good for IP 4?

A couple of weeks ago, I bought an Apple Care $30 special that was advertised for 2G, 3G, and 3GS. I haven't opened the package and might return it for credit.

I'm wondering if this package would be good for the IP4? Anyone know?

21. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

It covers your headphones also? I was thinking of going for it since i plan on keeping the iPhone 4 for 2 years (Apple seems to follow Nintendo's "evolutionize then improve" mentality with the 3G/DS and 3GS/DS lite, so i'm guessing next year will be a small upgrade), so this maybe perfect for me.

Not worried about the phone as much, but headphones seem to be breaking on me on a monthly basis (even $50+ headphones like Nuforce have been breakin', and i put them in the case everytime). I'll pay $30 for some peace of mind about them, and have coverage of my iphone as a extremely big plus.

22. twitchtwice macrumors member

just be carefule with it. the applecare is a LOT of money. haha.

23. Affe macrumors member

Yup. The warranty covers the phone and all included accessories. I've gotten my headphones replaced many times. For my iPod's, they went to the back and gave me some plastic wrapped headphones. For my iPhone's, they grabbed the headphones they had on the shelves, and just took it out of the box.

I'm a little leery buying from Ebay, but I looked on Amazon, and they sell it for $40, which is still pretty good. (and no sales tax for most of us)

24. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Yep.

25. twitchtwice macrumors member

same here, most people end up with a new phone each year anyways so its pointless