Is Apple Care worth it for a MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wgilles, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I have a new MBP and I was wondering if Apple Care is worth the money? Do they really provide you with excellent and fast customer support?

2. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

3. calvy macrumors 65816

I usually buy it. I just bought it for my new MBP off ebay for 200 bucks shipped. I love telling the folks at the apple store I'm going to ebay for their warranty. You can see them tense up immediately and cautiously warn me that people on ebay may just be out to get me.

4. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

i didn't buy it with my laptop. Can i buy it after? If so, how long after?

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You can buy it up till the standard warranty is up.

6. patp77 macrumors member

Applecare can be purchased at any time within the first year of ownership. So if a laptop was purchased today, you would have until March 2nd 2009 to decide.

If you do decide to wait, it does not increase the amount of time the Applecare will last as the warranty extension will be based on the date of purchase of the laptop. The main benefit of buying sooner rather than later is phone support. Without Applecare, you get 90 days of phone support. With Applecare, you have phone support for the entire 3 year period.

So far, I've always purchased Applecare protection as I find the peace of mind it brings and the level of support warrants the price.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

IMO, AppleCare is a must for any of the portables. The piece of mind alone makes it worthwhile.

8. AndyFL macrumors regular

As if you need more convincing...........but YES. :)

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

10. airkarol macrumors 6502

YES. You'll need a repair just as the warranty ends, whether it be a new battery or power adaptor, etc. You can buy it within a year of original purchase of the machine.

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

buy it when you're standard warranty is about to expire.
    that's what i'll do!

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'm gonna say yes too. There was a problem with iBook logic boards once, and a guy at work had to have it replaced 3 times over 18 months. Luckily he had Apple Care. Cos those logic boards are like £500 each.

I got my apple care off ebay. You typically pay half the price there. Just make sure its sealed and the seller often sells apple products. Check the feedback.