Is apple care worth it on the Apple Cinema Displays??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I still have about 4-5 months until 1 year warranty is up for my 23" ACD and just curious how many of you guys have apple care for your ACD monitor? Also is it worth it? I mean monitor is a monitor right... unless you have the gigantor 30" do you guys think its necessary to buy apple care for a 20" and 23" ACD??

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

AppleCare is only useful for laptops. Its a complete waste of money for desktop equipment.

3. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i agree only worth it for the laptops. everything else is reliable enough that cost/benefit isn't worth it

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Applecare for display does not cost much. Get it for peace of mind. For something as expensive as an ACD, it is only sensible to get Applecare (since it costs so little) no matter how good quality the monitor is. You never know what will happen to the ACD within 3 years.

5. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

???

That is a crazy logic.

Since AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, I don't see how it is only worth it on the laptops.

What if you purchased a Mac Pro, and 1.5 years down the line the mother board craps out? You repair it, then it happens again?

AppleCare is worth it on anything that Apple sells.

6. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Laptops have many more moving parts, hinges, flexing cables, confined spaces to cool, more fragile design and constantly on the move.

Desktops are almost always stationary. If they are good for 1 year, chances are very good it will be fine for 10+ years if you keep the internal dust under control.

The only desktops that were ever worth it on are the 2.5GHz+ G5's because of their liquid cooling system and the major damage a leak causes.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Here's something buying a second or Third revision you should be just fine if you had problems from the beginning then definitely get Apple Care.

I would get it just to be safe though if you ever had a problem on a tower that expensive it could really hurt the wallet.

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I already have apple care for my mac pro, I bought it with a discount for $190 at macmall and I noticed that the desktop apple care is much cheaper than the laptop (go fig). But my question is on the Apple cinema display, I know if I bought the 30" I would definitely buy the apple care because it cost so much... but for a 23" I'm leaning on not buying the apple care and soon a 20" ACD as well.

9. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

The cost of a motherboard/logic board replacement can be double the price of AppleCare. If it craps out twice, you are approaching the cost of the machine.

The motherboard/logic board can crap out on any machine, regardless of age, so AppleCare is definitely worth it on either a desktop or laptop.

10. UK2TX2CA macrumors newbie

I bought the Applecare for my Mac Pro which allows the 23" ACD to be covered at the same time....the $219 for the warranty for both the Mac Pro and ACD represents cheap insurance!

It was a no brainer for me since I am a power user of the various ports on the Mac Pro ( firewire for HDV camcorder, external drives and the USB ports for iPod look alikes, scanner, hub, printers etc ) and I recently fried the motherboard on my 7 month old work laptop because of a USB port issue - hint don't try using the Thinkpad T42p USB to charge your Blackberry...

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Negatory...couldn't disagree more. Applecare has saved me thousands more than once. I got a new MacPro out of it recently for a 3 year old G5 that went kaput.

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Nice! :cool:

13. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Get an Applecare for the ACD already. You never know when it will be put to use. Never say NEVER.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The price premium paid for an ACD makes AC logical. Homeowners covers what AC doesn't.

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I think I'm going to buy the apple care for my 23" acd but not for the 20".. I know $600 is still alot of money but that 23" acd is near 1k.

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Only if you bought them together (on the same invoice). I bought my ACD later & my MBP AppleCare does not cover it. I will have to purchase AppleCare for the ACD separately if I want it covered. I probably will since Apple is not a company I can associate with hardware reliability.

17. radiohead1075 macrumors member

I purchased it for my 23" Cinema Display... especially after my Cinema Display at work started having some problems.

The price is cheap for what you get IMHO, and you can possibly get it cheaper through ebay. I recently purchased AppleCare for my new Mac Pro on ebay for $135.00 (vs the $250.00 Apple stores sell it for).

18. syvalley macrumors newbie

Extended Insurance is Bad Strategy

As a life policy, buying after-market, or extended warranty insurance almost never pays off. You will pay much less over the course of a lifetime for repairs than you would purchasing all the insurances offered on everything from digital watches to new trucks. Everyone from the salesman to the insurance execs are hoping you make the sucker's choice. Why do you think they push so hard?

19. UK2TX2CA macrumors newbie

I called Apple about the time frame for "purchased together" when Amazon split my order for a Mac Pro and a 23" ACD into two invoices as they was being delivered from two locations and they said "within 30 days" was allowed.

20. knome macrumors 6502

knome

i've used apple care for everything, i wish i had it on my display because apparently the displays can't take shorts from firewire devices. i plugged in my buddies ipod and fried the firewire ports on the monitor.

21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I dont know why but I always knew that the ACD's have firewire and usb on them.. but I've never once yet to use any of the inputs.

22. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Cause desktop inputs you can't easily access are stupid. I just have my keyboard and mouse plugged into them. Basically anything that is permanent. For my ipod and thumbdrives it's much easier to bend down and use the ports on the front of the tower. Trying to reach behind my monitor and blindly plug something in backwards is hella annoying. They could have easily put a set of ports on the side.

And before anyone says it, the hub on the keyboard isn't powerful enough for most devices and the new keyboards blow...no thanks. :D

23. chris y. macrumors regular

LCD displays have been around long enough to not have issues. The only thing that can be a problem is the backlight going out which won't likely happen until you are way past the 5 year mark, and that is with daily use.

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That's not so true as you may believe. I've had LCD panels go bad, for failed backlight and for other problems. LCDs can fail just like anything else.

25. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yes, AppleCare is worth it. I have a 30" Cinema Display that will cost me $1800 to buy a new one if something happens to mine. Or, consider the other possible repair costs: the power supply could die. The LCD could develop an anomaly. Or more commonly, the backlight could die. Normally, AppleCare for a Cinema Display is $99. I picked it up on eBay for $42. So it was more than worth it.