is apple care worth it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paranoidmac, Jun 5, 2012.

1. paranoidmac macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 macbook pro 15 inch.

I have 2 months of warranty left on it. should i purchase apple care for it or not ?as apple care is quite expensive.

2. tardman91, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Compared to most repairs that the computer could possibly need, AppleCare is quite the bargain. I purchased it and have yet to use it, but I'm still glad I got it. I think it was about $150 for my 13" MBP 2 years ago. I don't know what they go for now. You might be able to get a little discount ordering through Amazon. Be weary of eBay though.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A repair is even more expensive.

Its a good thing to have for laptops, and I recommend it. You can get it cheaper at Amazon. Trying to buy it on ebay may be a bit riskier as some of those are counterfeit.

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Which piece? ;)

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Oops. I was giving the OP a piece of my mind on the value of AppleCare.

6. zyr123 macrumors 6502

is apple care worth it

YES YES YES YES>>

JUST buy it you will not regret it.

The only con of apple care is they do not cover accidental damage drops spills and etc.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As always, people either love Applecare or think it's a total waste of money. If you do a search you'll find several other threads on the topic, and you can read people's arguments for and against Applecare. Personally, I like it for the peace of mind, especially with a portable computer. For a desktop I don't think it's quiet as cut and dry of a decision.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, it's up to each person to decide. If Applecare was universally worth it then everyone would buy it. If it was not universally worth it then no one would buy it. Reality is neither of those two. It's your responsibility to figure out where your preferences lie and there are countless former threads on this very topic that you can refer to if you want to compare opinions.

A handy rule of thumb: worth is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.

10. Vexed macrumors member

I guess my question would be, how often is it used by the less casual user who perhaps takes special care of their MBP? The going rate for a 15" on Amazon is $300, and that FAQ makes it out to be like it only covers manufacturing defects, and I'm wondering how often those in particular happen.

11. tuxon86 Suspended

Depends on where you live.

Where I live we have what is called a "legal" waranty that says that something that you buy must have a useful life as comparable for similar devices and value.

In short, even if the manufacturer says that his device only carry a year of waranty, if you device dies prematurely, without you actually breaking it, then the manufacturer has to either replace it or repair it at his expense, even if it is beyond that one year.

Of course, you may have to sue them in small claim court but most of the time you can get help from the customer protection office. Most company prefer to settle out of court at that point.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It doesn't really matter how well you take care of your MBP, since as you said, Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. But computers are complicated electronics. Electronics sometimes have problems. No matter how careful you are, there's always a chance that your logic board or graphics card could just stop working. Those kinds of things would be covered by Applecare. The $300 from Amazon isn't the best price to be found. I know you can get it from B&H for $244 right now.

If you purchased your MBP with a credit card, the credit card company may double the original warranty. Many of them do this, and people have successfully gotten repairs done this way. It's not as easy as with Applecare, because you'd have to pay up front for the repair and then get reimbursed, but it's a free service that many cards offer. Don't just assume, though...check with the card issuer to find out for sure if you're covered.

13. cMacSW macrumors regular

My experience has been mixed, I've had laptops where I didn't need it and others where I did. I personally would buy it again for the piece of mind. You can buy it cheaper through a retailer like LAComputer

14. dropkinn macrumors newbie

from someone who has gotten the value of their macbook back in "overheating batteries" and "IT WONT SLEEP WHEN I CLOSE IT AHHH". its worth it. They did a total rebuild of mine 3 weeks before applecare expired and it was worth every penny. Every. Penny.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Is that the first time you've had to use it? I'll admit I wish I had it on one of my old laptops, but it shouldn't be a common requirement. I mean it's supposed to be one of those things you're unlikely to actually use.

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Here is a personal story. My macbook air keyboard broke twice. To repair the keyboard it was a $200 repair that involved replacing the whole top case. I was still in the one year window so the $400 repair was free, but it convinced me that the ~$200 was a good price for the warranty!

I would get it for the peace of mind.

17. AppleCareSucks macrumors newbie

AppleCare was not worth it for me!

Date: 1 May 2013 15:53
    Subject: Re: MacBook Pro 17" case ID : 420128552
    To: conor_collins@apple.com

I have been left for months now with a machine with a battery which often only lasts half the time, sometimes suddenly shuts off, and will a few times per month display "service battery". I can't rely on the machine except if it plugged into the mains. Some days I pick it up to take it to a cafe, and within 20 minutes (like yesterday) the problem is there, so I have a non-usable laptop. Other days, like today it is fine. So I've been stuck for months with a laptop I can only trusted to be mains powered. This is not want I envisaged which I spent 300USD on Apple Care for the 3000USD laptop.

I was further further disappointed that you would not simply take my word at the very start of the case, months ago, as well as screenshots that the machine was saying "service battery". I've even ran the diagnostic, tracing and capture tools you sent me and sent you the results whilst "service battery" was on screen.

It is clear to every man and his dog that it is a battery problem and this has been abundantly clear from the start, months ago. I am very sure "service battery" warnings mean exactly that, service the battery. All I wanted, was the battery serviced.

I informed Apple that after years of normal operation the non-user replaceable battery in my Macbook Pro suddenly started lasting only half the normal time whilst displaying a system warning of "service battery", even though it has a very low cycle count. I informed Apple at the time that the problem was worse in cold weather. Rather than agree to replace the battery, I was told:

1) I may live in an apartment not within the temperature range suitable for Apple products [however my apartment runs warm at 23-25C]

Today when you called, was the final straw for me. I've now given up with Apple Tier 2 support (why Tier 1 could not have replaced the battery, I don't know) after being greatly aggravated by you. You told me you were not prepared to immediately repair the laptop (replace the battery) because:

2) I may be running too many applications [even though it's stupid even to consider this, it was only a few weeks ago I formatted the disk and clean installed 10.8.3].

Massive amounts of my time, more than the cost of the machine including Apple Care (I'm a freelancer so each hour costs), and massive amounts of Apple time have been wasted with pointless endless email threads and International calls; lasting hours.

As I said months back when I first called Apple Care, "service battery" means service the battery.

I've been super patient so far.

But from today onwards, I plead yet again that you escalate this upwards within Apple (you told me last week this was not possible) and I ask that you never contact me again.

I've been patient, but after today, I have to say, I find you completely ignorant and/ incompetent and/or quite possibly, a warped personality. Whatever it is, you are sitting representing Apple and Apple Care at Tier 2 and even though I am patient, I want nothing more to do with you.

I simply want the battery "serviced", as I did months ago, so that I can unplug it without worrying the juice will go very quick and "service battery" warnings will pop up. This has always seemed so simply, I can't for the life of me understand why room temperatures and now the amount of applications run get mentioned all the whilst, the machine never gets the battery serviced.

I will not be buying Apple Care as a result of this experience ever again, and I have four machines, three of which have Apple Care.

Rather than further waste my time further, as well as Apple's time, I suggest that you familiarise yourself with David Icke; he's a British author who exposes the reptilian bloodline that rules the world. His official YouTube channel is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidicke

Because then you can keep up your entirely incompetent Apple Care support, annoy customers for apparent enjoyment purposes, you'll have some extra excuses other than "too many applications" or "wrong apartment temperature" for not repairing Mac Books with "service battery" issues, plus the customer may even get a laugh, rather than wanting to cry after every call with Apple Care.

Maybe I may suggest a couple? c) 12-foot, blood-sucking lizards are drinking the battery juice as part of their shapeshifting reptilian plan for ongoing world-control [1] now that Jimmy Savile is no longer providing them with children [2] d) the moon is sucking up the battery juice as part of "The Illuminati takeover" [3].

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ypYcZ7qfw
    [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jpg2Vjy-c
    [3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv1fKRuc3FM

Hopefully one day, Apple Care will replace the battery and I can have a Macbook Pro I can use without mains supply. Until then enjoy Icke, he'd be great in Apple Care support, if you are anything to go by.

18. mankymanning macrumors regular

Despite the previous poster's experience I think it is worth it. How long are you going to keep the machine for? if you plan on selling it when it still has Applecare on it then it will greatly enhance the resale value.

19. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

20. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

You'll be grateful you bought it. Stress free for two years.

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

worth it is a relative term. for me, i have owned many many apple products and have never purchased apple care for any of them. i have never had an issue with any of them and i've kept some for over 5 years. even if i had a catastrophic failure on one of my current devices and had to buy a brand new one out of pocket, i would still be way ahead of the game.

my philosophy is that if you buy a quality product, it should last. and if it doesn't it will fail within the warranty period. of course there are exceptions, but in the long run, extended warranties are not worth it to me.

22. maxosx macrumors 68020

Every year as I buy new MBP's and MBA's I _Always_ include AppleCare to the purchase, without hesitation.

It's like auto insurance, you may or may not need it, but if you do, no one will care for your Mac like AppleCare.

23. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

It is a great deal. Peace of mind and if you decide to sell it you it is a option you can tout.

-P

24. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's not exactly an apt analogy because you are required to buy some form of insurance if you plan to own/drive a car. At the same time, AppleCare doesn't cover things that insurance policies otherwise would, namely accidental damage.

Still, since AppleCare can be purchased at any time during the initial one-year warranty, and you don't need to buy it from Apple directly, I'd say it's worth it. The fact that you can save $100+ over what Apple charges by purchasing from someplace like B&H makes it an even better value. Plus, you'll recoup some of that cost if you're going to sell your machine before the plan expires.

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

Perhaps it took your parsing of my post, and over analyzing the big picture point, to make you feel better. The "facts" and "differences" you stated are something any reasonably intelligent person on this forum is already aware of.

I would highly encourage you to proof read the hundreds of posts here and parse them out as well. That should keep you busy for awhile. :D