Is apple care worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aluminum213, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I've always used a case but is the $100 extra worth it?

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

It's worth it if you have a history of damaging your phone. I got it for my 4S and never used it once so it was a waste of money. It's like all kinds of insurance, you may or may not use it, but if you do need it you'll be glad you have it.

3. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

It helped me when I dropped my 3GS, cracked the screen, then dumped a Daiquiri on it to fully kill it. I was honest with them as in how I killed it but they gave me new one free of charge. That may have been because I don't abuse my Apple Care, and in fact it was the only time I've used it since 2009.

I always buy AC with every machine I buy and I've had 2 iMacs, a Mac mini, 2 Macbook Airs, a rMBP, and an iPhone 3GS and a 5.

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I've had applecare+ on every ios device that I've own and I have yet to use it once. Each year I tell myself that I'm not going to get it, but I always give in and buy it. For me it's just for the peace of mind and knowing that it's there should I need it. In the end it comes down to the person though. If your accident prone or just want the added peace of mind, then I'd recommend it, otherwise save your money.

5. JoshS macrumors member

I got AppleCare+ for 2 iPhone 5's and just used it to get the battery replaced on Both.

That would've cost $100 each so the AppleCare+ paid for itself and gave me damage protection for the full 2 years.

Now both phones are set on battery life for another 2 years.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've never bought Applecare but then again I'm very cautious with my products. Not saying things don't happen, just be extra careful.

7. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how it's a good deal.

So you pay $100 for the Apple Care then $75 every time you have an accident?

Why not save the $100 and if you do crack your screen, just pay some place to fix the screen for you (they typically charge $70-$80 anyway)

8. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

Apple seems more open to replacing your device if you have AppleCare, based on my past experiences.

9. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Thinking about getting it for the first time.

10. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Still not seeing how this is worth it.

$100 for the Applecare + $80 every time you break something.

Or you don't get it. If you break something, just find somewhere the fixes iPhones. Most places charge like $80 for a screen anyway

11. turbo350z macrumors newbie

For me it was good because I cracked my screen last year and got a new phone. Then I just cracked it again 2 weeks ago and got another brand new one. Sold it for 450 right away and using ip4 until next week. Basically I broke even on the phone and had it for 2 yrs. 200 + 100 +75 +75 =450.

12. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

They give you a NEW PHONE if you crack your screen? Why wouldn't they just fix your screen?...

200 + 100 + 75 + 75 = $450

Without Applecare, you could've just fixed your screen for that same $75 probably. Then it would be 200 + 75 + 75 = $350

Saving yourself $100...

13. danniexi macrumors 6502

I have applecare+ for my iPhone 5. Went go karting and had it in my pocket. I guess I went hard around a corner, the phone was between my leg and the seat, and I bent it pretty far. The screen was completely shattered with glass shards coming out. I went to apple, gave $50, and they gave me a brand new one. No repair. Full replacement.

If parts are replaceable, then yes, they might repair it, but most of the time it's just a new phone.

14. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Are people this dense?

Do you all not realize that it's not JUST accidental coverage? It's an extended warranty. I had to use my applecare 3 times with my iphone 4