is apple care+ worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futurejetblackowner, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    So I broke my 2015 '13 macbook pro because I had a freak accident where my glass randomly shattered and spilled juice over it, killing everything.

Just ordered a MacBook Pro '15 that is very spec'd out (512 gb, 16 gb ram, 2.8gHz, 4 gb radeon) The way I see it: If I have accidental damage, I'll be paying $630 for it (ac+ and repair fee) instead of $750, which isn't too much of difference considering how long I plan to use my macbook, especially if I never need it. I take very good care of my electronics and bought a hard shell case for my new macbook.

Replacement costs for the keyboard and trackpad are only about $30. How much would a screen or hard drive or motherboard replacement be?

That being said because I spent over $2,000, I think it might just be worth it to purchase AC+ in case I have more than one incident of accidental damage or an internal issue.

What do y'all think?

2. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Have a look around some more threads regarding keyboards. You cannot replace one for $30. IMO AC+ is a must. It's unfortunate, but the repair prices on these glued, proprietary computers are very expensive.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Do you live in the US?

You can get Louis Rossmann to fix your 2015 MacBook Pro for ~$300.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Louis Rossmann

4. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

They gave me an estimate MUCH higher than that when I called

5. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

He probably needs it because the 2016/2017 MacBook Pro are lemons.

He will be on the hook for $700 each time the butterfly keyboard stops working.

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Personally, I buy all of my tech stuff using a credit card with extended warranty coverage. It's not as convenient as AC+, but it doesn't cost me anything extra.

The current card that I use (Costco Visa) gives me 2 years on top of the standard warranty (for Apple products, typically 1 year). So on a MB, I would end up with 3 years of coverage. I haven't looked at the terms recently, but a least a year ago, I would get the 2 years of ExtWarranty on top of a purchased warranty. So for the additional cost of AC+, I would end up with 5 years of coverage.

8. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

damn boy

9. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Yes. But Costco does not sell any Macbook Pro's. So the Costco Visa additional 2 years works only with Windows systems. The additional 2 year coverage on top of Costco's warranty does not apply to any Apple products Costco sells. The warranty extension excludes phones, tablets and the like, which is what Costco sells from Apple.

However, this is unbeatable if you want a Dell XPS or the Lenovo X1 Carbon they sell.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You don't have to buy stuff at Costco to use the Costco Visa card. The Extended Warranty applies on items you buy with the card. It's a Citibank backed card, by the way.

11. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

I’m not sure yet, it’s the same price as adding 16GB of RAM.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the non plus is worth the cost, I have a hard time justifying the + cost, but that's just me.

13. Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

Considering the high keyboard failure rate on the current MBP, and consideting it is a $700+tax repairment, I think that some form of Apple Care program for extended guarantee is a must.

Shame that the most premium (and expensive) laptop is the market is a risky purchase without an extended guarantee :(

14. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Keyboard replacement isn’t $750 shut up lol. That price is if your entire MacBook is dead.

15. Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

It is EXACTLY $700 + tax, as quoted to me by the guy at the Genius Bar in Apple store San Diego last month.

In fact, read through the forums for confirmation. MANY people have reported the same price quote, since they replace the entire top piece regardless you only need to fix ONE key (which was my case). The new MBPs are so tightly constructed that the entire top area needs to be replaced :(

16. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

sorry for being wrong, man that sucks

17. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Got the 'b' key registering twice on a single press, taking it to the local Apple store tomorrow. I'd say the AppleCare has or will have paid for itself twice over. The laptop is 18 months old so would have cost a fortune to repair otherwise.

18. Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

Funny, it was also my "b" key what broke, about 15 months after purchase :(

19. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

As a general rule, if the device is over $1,000.00, I buy Apple Care.

20. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

The fact that you have to get AppleCare to get this lemon fixed is ridiculous.

21. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Under UK consumer law if a fault gets proven to be a design defect then you get a 7 year warranty, no need for AppleCare.

At the moment it could be an issue proving its a defect and not normal usage. I hope they sort something out soon and have a better keyboard in the 2018 & beyond models.

22. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Do you have the 2016 or 2017

23. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Its the 2016 model.

24. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

I heard the 2017 model has less keyboard issues

25. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Not sure what the policy is with Apple Care, I seem to have read several times of people reporting having to pay up $ for a fix even with Apple Care on it... What I did was get a 4 year every thing covered insurance from the store I bought it at, which was a much better deal cause I payed $0 when things had to be repaired/replaced.