Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Why oh why has apple.com's web designer suddenly decided that the homepage should be wider than a standard page? My browser is usually around 800 pixels wide (designers usually make pages 755px wide), but now to see the Mac Mini or MBP on apple.com I have to resize my browser? why? why cant they just continue the old 755 pixel standard or make a window size checking script? isnt apple trying to bring in more users? why alienate those with small screens or non-wasteful window sizing habits?

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I don't know:confused: when they first launched the new MBP they had a bigger intro page as well, but only for a couple hours. It shows up fine on all my monitors, I wouldn't say that it keeps anyone from buying a comp tho :rolleyes:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
lilstewart92 said:
Yeah, i have noticed that. But... it's not enough to piss me off. :rolleyes:

not even on the ibook?

call me crazy, picky, and or a perfectionist, but as a web designer i see it as bad design.

Note to other designers: on 800x600 screens (28% of the internet using world), no browser when maximized holds less that 755x400 pixels. a designer should use that as a minimum when designing, unless youre using a non-static layout.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
*shrug* That's a very Apple thing to do. The attitude shows up in their products too. They're quite willing to leave people behind it it's inconvenient to support them.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Glenn Wolsey said:
I believe they are going through an identity crisis right now, open 10 Apple product pages and take a look... :(

lol, agreed. uniformity apple! come on! black for pro pages, white for consumer pages. and do something to make the navigation at the top match the black pages, like on the OSX page!

L

Lau

EricNau said:
AKAIK, the most popular (non-widescreen) screen resolution is 1024x768 - which the Apple page fits perfectly on.

Ah, but although my screen is 1024x768 my browser window is more like 800x600, so I can see Adium and other windows behind it. Because I know I (and other people) surf like this I try to design sites to fit in 800x600.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I've got 1440x960, but those wider pages are enough to really piss me off.
The design should be dynamic if you ask me. It would accommodate more people. There's no real reason I can see as to why it should be so wide other than images, but most of the larger images are centered with a solid color on the sides...

I prefer to keep my browser at 800x600 anyway. Leaves me plenty of room for other work (or of course, other play)

reality

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
Apple has been very inconsistent in so many areas, like what you described, but also:

1) Red button either closes the window or quits the app
2) Brushed metal and plastic UI
3) to name a few...

The variable width on Apple's home page doesn't bug me as much as this:

Attachments

• homepage.jpg
    homepage.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,851

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Salasm said:
Apple has been very inconsistent in so many areas, like what you described, but also:

3) to name a few...

Why that's a poorly placed inspector window!

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Apple is definately not oblivious to dHTML (recently renamed AJAX by those newb (recently renamed noob by those elite (recently renamed 1337 by those annoying ppl) ppl) web 2.0 ppl).

I don't see why they couldnt have those 6 screenshots in CSS defined tables that are positioned based on a percentage of the window's width. À la, as the window is narrowed, the screenshots move inward, as the window is widened, they spread out; wouldnt that look cool (and probably get dugg).

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh I think we're getting to the point with web where it's OK to go outside that 755px box we'd all been using. I think it's pretty rare for people to be running 800 x 600...that being said, I still build for it out of habit.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
dornoforpyros said:
I think it's pretty rare for people to be running 800 x 600...that being said, I still build for it out of habit.

According to thecounter.com 28% of internet users going to ANY website with a thecounter counter on it are using 800x600. thats a pretty big chunk.

anyway, in 3 minutes I put this together (resize it). i didnt bother putting in the css to put it in layers on top of each other, but if i can do that in three minutes, surely a highly paid apple web desinger can use a similar solution to make their website work for everyone.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Salasm said:

3) to name a few...

That's insane, I was looking at the exact same spot the other day and thinking the same thing! Guess it's not just me who noticed this.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
chaos86 said:
According to thecounter.com 28% of internet users going to ANY website with a thecounter counter on it are using 800x600. thats a pretty big chunk.

anyway, in 3 minutes I put this together (resize it). i didnt bother putting in the css to put it in layers on top of each other, but if i can do that in three minutes, surely a highly paid apple web desinger can use a similar solution to make their website work for everyone.

doh! oh well, like I said, I still do build for 800 x 600 out of habit anyways.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Perhaps it's just a conspiracy to annoy those still browsing at 800x600 so they bite the bullet and upgrade to a new mac with a higher res while they're at the site.......

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Personally I design for 1024x768, im sick of being restricted by such small sizes.

Its all about target audience too, exactly how many of those 28% are visiting apple.com on a regular basis? i would say less than the people that are viewing it on a 30 inch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.