Is Apple crippling their products with iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cammyg123, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Is Apple crippling iOS 7 crippling devices capabilities?

1. Yes!

48 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. No!

75 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Is the major problems involving the UX and UI of iOS 7 making Apple products look worse than they really are.

2x the speed in iPhone 5S - doesn't feel like it

Same with the iPad air.

Is it because of iOS 7?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Imagine the battery drain if the processing power was maxed out on the home screen...

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I bet someone made this thread last year too when iOS 6 wasn't running smooth on older devices.

4. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I think the performance is pretty good, at least on my 5

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Indeed they did. And they did it the year before as well. And the year before that.

Each incarnation of iOS comes with more features. These features eat up memory and processing cycles. So naturally devices are going to be taxed harder than they were with previous versions of iOS.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

But each hardware revision generally comes with similar leaps in performance improvements, so on the latest hardware that effect should essentially be offset and more or less become moot.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Normally I love every release of the phone and iOS but this year biggest mistake I made was going to 7 from 6, so boring and I have a lot of apps that keep crashing, siri is much less accurate, half the time she tells me she can not help me now.

Wish I could go back to iOS6 would be much happier with my iPhone 5

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The Air / 5s/ 5c/ rMini are surely not crippled as they are the current models.

Older models can be to force their owners to purchase a new model. It wouldn't be the first case of Apple doing so. Not necessarily speed-wise (albeit I really think for example the iPhone 3G was deliberately crippled under iOS 4.x), but mostly capabilities-wise.

See for example Apple's removing and, then, not reintroducing 60 fps support from / to the iPhone 4S: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1648048

9. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

No. It's because the A6 was pretty fast already. Look at comparisons between the 5 and 5S or 5C and 5S. Most of the everyday tasks are neck and neck, or only a fraction of a second faster on the A7.

If you're not doing tasks that really tax the hardware, you're not going to notice the speed difference. If you're driving normally on your daily commute, it's not going to be much faster in a BMW M5 vs a Honda Civic, even though the M5 has the potential to be more than 'twice as fast'.

10. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

I not really sure on the technical aspect of it (specs and what I think you're mentioning). I do think iOS 7 is absolutely horrible and I'll be keeping my 5 on iOS 6 until my contract is up. If iOS 7 together or showing signs of progress by then, I'll be looking into other devices.

11. jbzcar macrumors regular

IMHO, the 4S should have been the oldest device to be eligible for iOS7.

12. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

This year's new hardware line up has been paralyzed by iOS 7 completely.

Hardware design, specs and performance is unmatchable, just like every year ...

Once you turn it on, everything goes to the *******s with the ugly'ness, stuttering, crashing, lagging, delays, batt draining, overheating / warmer then normal temps and even the BSOD.

Barely anything got fixed from the first Beta, the foolz that stated "it's a Beta & it will be fixed by the public release" didn't realize it was an Alpha build and only now it's starting to become a Beta. iOS 7 revamp should had been delayed until next year, it takes a lot of time to fix all this stuff and they're really behind.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I've seen people perfectly happy with iOS 7 on their iPhone 4S.
    iPhone 4S was released in 2011, it is an "old" smartphone for a technical point of view, with only 512 mb of ram, amount considered adequate only on entry level phones nowadays.
    So, if iOS 7 runs quite well on that phone, and the similarly performer iPad 2/ mini , what are we speaking of ?

14. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Performance is good on my iPhone 5, but not on par with the great performance iOS6 offered. Answering "No!" to this poll just shows how delusional some fans are.

15. kolax macrumors G3

It is the animations.

Speed of iOS 7 is great, but the animations for opening folders, unlocking your phone etc are what makes the OS feel sluggish. I really wish they'd speed them up.

16. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I somewhat agree to this thread but only on old device. iOS7 for A5 chips is running OK smooth not like A7 smooth not because Apple deliberately cripples a product but since technology moves forward, software like iOS 7 needs to take advantage of that. I feel that Apple has dine a good job finding a middle spot that at least 3 generations of chips can take advantage of iOS 7 smoothly. A4 support being a mistake.

17. cammyg123 thread starter macrumors regular

cammyg123

I agree!

I agree with answering "No!" On this is just some Apple fans who can't ever accept when Apple has made a mistake.

Performance for me is "meh".

Some things in iOS 7 work beautifully! But it's the stuff that is sloppy, that makes me turn to the answer yes on this.

I feel if iOS 7 was up to par with iOS 6, I would love it! But the difference and probably the reason I loved iOS 6 was the simple reason of "everything just worked perfectly." I can't say that with iOS 7 (sadly)

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

RAM was a backward step if you ask me.

19. paradox11 macrumors member

I agree, but then you'd see people complaining heavily about not getting it.

People are gonna whine regardless I guess.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Adding the ability to downgrade OS if you choose to would be an awesome way of stopping them whiners don't you think?

21. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Totally agree. The iPhone 4 is terrible on iOS 7.

22. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Not necessarily a mistake. As far as deliberately removed functionality is concerned (720p60 slo-mo recording in the 4S, antialiasing in the iPad 1/2 as of iOS6 and, with the latter, iOS6 etc.), it's certainly not a mistake but a cheesy and pretty unfair way of forcing people to purchase the new hardware.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple always does the best for each and every one of their consumers. If they wanted to screw customers and force them to upgrade they'd do what Android device makers do and refuse to give existing iPhone users access to the newest versions of iOS. But Apple wants all of their consumers to experience the best of iOS and they give it away so everyone can enjoy the innovation Apple continues to drive forward.

24. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Lolz... you should write ads for Apple :D Or ask them for forum advertisement compensation :)

25. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Yeah really.

But they kinda had to update the 4,theyre still actively selling it and it's a bad look to sell a product you're no longer supporting.

The 4 just should have been taken off the market