Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Grazie on the fora/forum correction. I always seem to reverse them.

I wonder if Tim Cook just may be the guy that takes over after a guy like Jobs. Tim may not be able bring rise to a company like the Phoenix but he's certainly an X's and O's guy that can maintain. We'll see...it's going to be interesting to see what happens going forward.

That's kind of what I was trying to get out, that he seems like a guy that will maintain the company at its present level. And I believe that if Apple doesn't continue with the same "yearly revolutions" as they have the past few years, there is a risk that another (or several other) company/ies will barge in on their "territory". Trendsetters being the first to go, which in turn will lure followers like myself to be interested in what all the fuzz is about over there.

In short, I believe Apple is maturing, which means the growth will slow down/stop. And without "revolutions", people will move elsewhere. And considering the enormous growth that has been these past few years, the revolutions will have to be greater and greater to be able to maintain a growth.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
That's kind of what I was trying to get out, that he seems like a guy that will maintain the company at its present level. And I believe that if Apple doesn't continue with the same "yearly revolutions" as they have the past few years, there is a risk that another (or several other) company/ies will barge in on their "territory". Trendsetters being the first to go, which in turn will lure followers like myself to be interested in what all the fuzz is about over there.

In short, I believe Apple is maturing, which means the growth will slow down/stop. And without "revolutions", people will move elsewhere. And considering the enormous growth that has been these past few years, the revolutions will have to be greater and greater to be able to maintain a growth.

I'm interested to see how Apple performs in the near future. [mis]Using an old sports adage, 'I'd rather not be the guy who replaces Jobs, I prefer to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced Jobs.'

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I think once Apple gains enough Mac consumers, they can afford to license their OS like Microsoft.

As it stands, they won't gain a ton of customers if they keep OSX on a handful of machines, which many people believe are overpriced. For me, its not overpriced, but the hardware you get is laughable.

Apple needs to start allowing clones for the big marketshare. I think it would be a good thing.

They don't really. They're happy with their high margin and current controlled growth. Heck, I think the guy who the following was darn right :

Quote:
If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth — and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago.

Maybe your right, but I really would hate to see Apple Computers go away and Apple turn into a Phone/over priced Tablet company. Apple has an incredible history of really well engineered machines, I'd hate to see them go away, it really would be a shame. I would love to see an Affordable apple. ( affordable for most people to not care to much, 1200 dollars for a base level iMac isnt really an object in my case, which is why I bought one )

I do think Apple needs to keep the computer market going. if they don't its a big mistake. Apple won't always be number one imo, eventually someone else will come along with a better idea. So keep the computers.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe your right, but I really would hate to see Apple Computers go away and Apple turn into a Phone/over priced Tablet company. Apple has an incredible history of really well engineered machines, I'd hate to see them go away, it really would be a shame. I would love to see an Affordable apple. ( affordable for most people to not care to much, 1200 dollars for a base level iMac isnt really an object in my case, which is why I bought one )

Apple Computers is already gone, it's called Apple now. Although I think the computers are still a bit pricey, there are also people in the community who think they're too affordable, and that the Intel Mac should never have been released.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Anyway, aside from accessories, is there one product line from Apple that isn't a computer ?

Desktops and laptops are one form of computers and perform come computing tasks. Apple is just moving forward with the new form factor of computers to see the day in the consumer market, the phone/pda and the tablet.

In the end, the computer market just evolved once again and keeps growing.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Apple Computers is already gone, it's called Apple now. Although I think the computers are still a bit pricey, there are also people in the community who think they're too affordable, and that the Intel Mac should never have been released.

Oh dur, I forgot. What I do mean is that I would HATE to see the Desktop/Laptop computers go away, Apple has made some pretty awesome stuff. I would hate to see that tradition go away. Screw the iPad, and screw the iPhone ( at least for me, they do give me an iPhone for a workphone. I pretty much only make calls with it ).

And the only people who think they are " to affordable " are the same people who think Apple and Rolex are on the same level of " premium ". Which is hilarious.

I was more of a Fan of PowerPC, it made Macs different. Now to me Macs scream " PC with a fancy case and a slightly different OS thats not any better than Windows ". The problem with PowerPC was that IBM just wasn't up to the task.

Desktops and laptops are one form of computers and perform come computing tasks. Apple is just moving forward with the new form factor of computers to see the day in the consumer market, the phone/pda and the tablet.

Huh? Smartphones/PDAs/Tabelts aren't anything new. Nor do anything of them replace Desktop and Laptop Computers.

Anyway, aside from accessories, is there one product line from Apple that isn't a computer ?
Well yeah, things like ipods/iPad/Apple TV are computers per say, but none of them can do what a Desktop/Dedicated Laptop or what a " personal computer " can do.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
As it stands, they won't gain a ton of customers if they keep OSX on a handful of machines, which many people believe are overpriced. For me, its not overpriced, but the hardware you get is laughable.
Not when it comes to their smaller screen sizes. It's (was a few months ago at least) difficult to find something with the same form factor at a lower price with the same or better hardware.

Apple needs to start allowing clones for the big marketshare. I think it would be a good thing.
Their goal might not be to get OS X to a big of a crowd as possible, but to sell as much hardware as possible. In that case, licensing just won't happen.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Oh dur, I forgot. What I do mean is that I would HATE to see the Desktop/Laptop computers go away, Apple has made some pretty awesome stuff. I would hate to see that tradition go away.

What makes you think that tradition will go away and that Apple will stop making Macs?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Huh? Smartphones/PDAs/Tabelts aren't anything new. Nor do anything of them replace Desktop and Laptop Computers.

No, they're not, but compared to desktop PCs, they sure are much younger. And frankly, they are starting to replace the desktop and laptops in some arenas (web browsing, e-mail, communication in general).

Well yeah, things like ipods/iPad/Apple TV are computers per say, but none of them can do what a Desktop/Dedicated Laptop or what a " personal computer " can do.

They're not just "computers per se", they are genuine computers, as much as your desktop or laptop. And frankly, again, you sound like those mainframe guys in the late 70s, early 80s. "These PC computer things can't do what a real computer can do, heck, they aren't even multi-user nor do they have terminals to hook up to remotely".

Tablets and smartphones will replace desktop and laptops for certain tasks. For others ? Not so much. This is no different than when micro-computers (the good old PC) came around and started replacing Minis and Mainframes. As the industry grows and evolves, new technologies supplement the old ways.

Some tasks will always require laptops, desktops. Others will always require mainframes. And yet tablets and smartphones moving forward will also play a grand part in the great scheme of computing. That is because there is no limit of form factor to computers. Computers are very generic devices that come in a multitude of shape and sizes.

Some of you just have too narrow a view of "computer" and what it actually means and it leads to these puzzling posts about "Apple leaving behind computers", when their 2 biggest sellers (iPhone and iPad) are both computers.

----------

Their goal might not be to get OS X to a big of a crowd as possible, but to sell as much hardware as possible. In that case, licensing just won't happen.

Seeing how licensing is what almost killed the company in the 90s, it will never happen.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

These people don't remember the ass that made up a couple of the powerbook G4s (still remember randomly losing power), or the G5 imacs and their power supplies, or the G5 towers and their logic board + radiator issues. As for being too affordable, why pay a higher price for the same thing? I wouldn't mind it if the price actually allowed them to budget for improvements or include a ponywith your purchase.

vet2640

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
apple dying

Sure hope not. Switched from PC to Mac a few years back, just love it, should have done this twenty years ago. Keep the innovation going Apple.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sure hope not. Switched from PC to Mac a few years back, just love it, should have done this twenty years ago.

20 years ago, Macs sucked. OS X wasn't around, the Classic system was dog poo and there was a plethora of models/clones that made choosing a Mac awful. Apple was out of the question as clone makers were much cheaper, etc...

You switched at the right time.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
I own them all and Siri is an incompetent assistant, apple tv bored me after an hour, I can't see the difference between retina iPad and my 2...

You ever here the expression "it's not you, it's me"? Well, in this case, maybe you should be open to the idea that "it's not Apple, it's me".

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
These people don't remember the ass that made up a couple of the powerbook G4s (still remember randomly losing power), or the G5 imacs and their power supplies, or the G5 towers and their logic board + radiator issues. As for being too affordable, why pay a higher price for the same thing? I wouldn't mind it if the price actually allowed them to budget for improvements or include a ponywith your purchase.

Because of elitism. High prices will keep the riffraff out of the Apple community. There's nothing special about using a Mac if everyone else does.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
20 years ago, Macs sucked. OS X wasn't around, the Classic system was dog poo and there was a plethora of models/clones that made choosing a Mac awful. Apple was out of the question as clone makers were much cheaper, etc...

You switched at the right time.

Even just 12 years ago, they sucked. OS X changed everything.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Because of elitism. High prices will keep the riffraff out of the Apple community. There's nothing special about using a Mac if everyone else does.

That has nothing to do with Apple's pricing scheme and strategy. Macs are high priced because they come with everything under the sun. PCs are cheaper because OEMs will sell lesser models with less options/features. They will also refresh models during what is considered "mid-cycle" for Macs, making the "value proposition" skewed in their favor for a while.

If you spec a PC and a Mac to about the same level, Macs tend to be fairly priced, especially shortly after a refresh when the playing field is equal. Also, you can't just take any PC and compare it to a Mac. Apple doesn't sell desktops/towers in the traditional sense, so you can't compare just any lame Inspiron to a iMac (AIO) or a Mac Mini (SFF).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Clearly they need to increase their prices in that case... ;) Have you seen this image?

oh-my-god-they-have-united-demotivational-poster.jpg

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
That has nothing to do with Apple's pricing scheme and strategy. Macs are high priced because they come with everything under the sun. PCs are cheaper because OEMs will sell lesser models with less options/features. They will also refresh models during what is considered "mid-cycle" for Macs, making the "value proposition" skewed in their favor for a while.

If you spec a PC and a Mac to about the same level, Macs tend to be fairly priced, especially shortly after a refresh when the playing field is equal. Also, you can't just take any PC and compare it to a Mac. Apple doesn't sell desktops/towers in the traditional sense, so you can't compare just any lame Inspiron to a iMac (AIO) or a Mac Mini (SFF).

I wasn't saying that Apple keeps the prices high for the reasons mentioned (because they don't), only that there are veteran users who want Macs to be expensive so that they can feel special. Yes, I know how absurd it sounds, and I couldn't believe it first time I heard it either.

I do consider Macs to be fairly priced now, but 10-15 years ago I didn't.

----------

Clearly they need to increase their prices in that case... ;) Have you seen this image?
Yes I have seen that image. So much for "Think Different" :D

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I wasn't saying that Apple keeps the prices high for the reasons mentioned (because they don't), only that there are veteran users who want Macs to be expensive so that they can feel special. Yes, I know how absurd it sounds, and I couldn't believe it first time I heard it either.

Have you never heard of "n-word rich"? It's quite common behavior amongst black athletes and artists that suddenly get a lot of money to spend it all on lavish products, since image is everything. I read that somewhere in the lines of 75 % of all former NBA players are pretty much broke only a few years after having stopped playing, despite having made millions.

This is a behavior that exists even amongst those who have little money. Which is why some people even take credits for consumption...

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Have you never heard of "n-word rich"? It's quite common behavior amongst black athletes and artists that suddenly get a lot of money to spend it all on lavish products, since image is everything. I read that somewhere in the lines of 75 % of all former NBA players are pretty much broke only a few years after having stopped playing, despite having made millions.

This is a behavior that exists even amongst those who have little money. Which is why some people even take credits for consumption...

I haven't heard that expression, but I'm familiar with the behavior. It's a bit similar to white trash buying extravagant things they don't need nor can afford on credit. "My MasterCard bill confirms how great I am".

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Sure hope not. Switched from PC to Mac a few years back, just love it, should have done this twenty years ago. Keep the innovation going Apple.

No you don't, Anything pre OSX is complete garbage. I remember using those iMac G3s in School, running OS8, the wonderful thing was that in its original form. OS8 didn't support virtual memory for whatever reason if I remember correctly. And with 64mb of ram, you'd have a word processor open, and a couple of browser windows. Anything else, it would go ha ha! You lose! And crash.

I would love to find every disc of System 7m OS8 and OS9 and burn them, you think Windows 95/98/ME was bad? Go try OS 8/9 and Tell me Windows ME is bad. At least Windows ME would sometimes...work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7Xh0m_Oco

That pretty much explains older Macs, Late OS9/Really early OSX. And that might be a funny video, but I pretty much remember every single problem he mentions in that video. It was amazing.

Lol, Apples come a long way huh?

There's nothing special about using a mac, because its nothing special, its a bunch of " PC " parts Running a different OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.