Is Apple ending its run? What's next?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SmokeyRobinson, Jan 5, 2011.

1. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Apple seems to be running on heavily its iOS devices currently, but Im wondering what they have in store. iOS has become old and stale to many familiar with other options.

Do you think they have anything up their sleeves that will really set them apart?
    New devices? Huge software improvements? Mac improvements?

With Android 3.0 tablets, Windows Phone 7, and ARM coming to Windows, it seems Apple has to play catch up in both hardware (in some aspects) and software (in many aspects).

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Apple's products are still the best in those areas..I think they're doing a lot better than you're assuming..

3. SmokeyRobinson thread starter macrumors regular

I know how well Apple is doing, but they are falling behind quickly. They can't rest on product awareness forever.

Im asking what you think Apple has in store for us past its current lineup.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

In my opinion that question is moot. I don't see them as falling behind in the slightest, if anything they're still quite a bit ahead. Reports thus far have been pretty clear in stating that most of those competitor's products aren't quite up to par with those engineered by Apple. It seems they're still on top of the game, therefore they don't really need anything new/shiny/flashy to renew their brilliance.

5. SmokeyRobinson thread starter macrumors regular

So in your opinion Apple is just going to pump out more iOS devices of similar nature.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just wait a bit for Apple to reveal their hand like they did last year after CES with the iPad announcement.

We've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Lion, and recent trends for Apple are counter-intuitive. Especially significantly lower price points than expected (iPad, 2010 MBA, ATV2, ...), without sacrificing profit margins.

Of course we can also expect iOS and iPhone 5....

B

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure what else you want them to do. I don't know of another similar device idea that they haven't created yet. Apple can sell on their name as long as they like, as you can see with the iP4. It's got the reception issue, and a few others, but is still wildly popular.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

So which announcement from Apple's major competitors led you to conclusion Apple is falling behind?

The fact that Google plans on having a SINGLE tablet (from Motorola) by the end of March running Honeycomb (with apparently others to follow later in the year) or the fact that Microsoft plans on releasing desktop Windows on ARM processors sometime in the next TWO years and until then X86 Windows 7 tablets will be their only offering?

Apple's Mac App Store debuts tomorrow. They've already announced Lion will ship this year, and you can bet money on iOS 5, an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5 too.

Then you've got a Verizon iPhone coming, an Apple TV App Store as a potential wild card, new Sandy Bridge notebooks and desktops coming, a Final Cut update in the works, an iWork update coming and more.

I think Apple will be just fine.

10. SmokeyRobinson thread starter macrumors regular

This is actually my exact thought now. They seem to be at a point where they are stagnant and only relying on their name. Doesn't sounds very Applesque.