Is Apple ever gonna include an eSata port on the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dschiller, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dschiller macrumors regular

I've read some reviews of eSata external drives and it seems to be better than FW800. What are the odds Apple is gonna include an eSata port on its next-gen iMac?

Cheers:apple:

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I don't think for a while, there isn't a need. It would appear in the MP first. The iMac is geared toward consumers, (yes yes I know they are very powerful and all but thats who they are geared for), and the average consumer knows nothing of an eSata port or whats it's even used for.

3. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering whether I should buy an external HD with FW400/USB + FW800 or FW400/USB + eSata. Should I go for one with FW800? The 20'' model I'm gonna buy has neither of them..

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How much of a price difference is there to the quad-interface model?

You could just get this very meant-to-be-near-a-Mac one and you'll have all the interfaces you could want! :p

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW924AL1K/

5. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i would probably go for the 800 firewire.

to me, the huge advantage of firewire over esata, is that with firewire, you can boot a mac from a firewire disk drive.

(i read of someone trying to boot off of a express card slot in the macbook pro, and they were unsuccessful)

6. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of buying this one, which is the same, except it can take two drives and hasn't got eSata :(

7. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i think this is the major advantage of FW...however, most eSATA drives also have FW, too, so that shouldn't be an issue.

8. negatv1 macrumors 6502

You would likely be able to boot from an eSATA drive as well. The mac should see the eSATA drive just as another SATA disk.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Unless they decide to phase out firewire without replacing it, i doubt they ever will.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, I was thinking about this... I guess the iMac has kind of a unique motherboard in the sense that certain aspects of it are taken from notebook designs and certain from desktop designs, but has anyone scoured it carefully? Is there any possibility it would have appropriate ports to allow for someone to create an eSATA modification kit like this $25 one for the Mac Pro?

http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well you need an extra sata port. I don't think there is a extra sata port on the motherboard? not that i know of atleast.

12. Sped macrumors regular

I'd say they're pretty low. I really want an eSATA port on all new Macs. FW800 just doesn't cut it in my opinion. You can say what you like about the typical consumer's knowledge, but eSATA is fairly mainstream for DVR owners. Although you can't often boot from eSATA drives, I believe that's a problem with OSX and not eSATA.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, it's a problem with the drivers having to load from the boot drive before the third party SATA interface will read the eSATA drive.

If Apple were to include an eSATA interface, it would be from the motherboard SATA controller, and presumably would have no problems booting / no drivers required.

14. iJUNKY macrumors member

would it be likely for apple to offer some kind of expansion slot on any new imacs (specifically expresscard)...I think this would be a good idea, so that us 'consumers' who do know what esata could benefit from it.

15. Sped macrumors regular

I don't think so but it's a good idea!

16. sr1329 macrumors member

I can link to at least 10 products available on consumer level retail stores (beast buy) that have eSata ports. Very weak excuse. It makes expanding storage on iMacs, and Mac mini a real PITA.

17. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

It will be on the Mac Pro well before its on anything else.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac isn't tower PC. It already has quite few ports so don't wait for eSATA

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Does eSATA carry power? Can you plug a 2.5" enclosure into it or would you need a power supply?

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes it should. That depends about cable and drive though

21. JoelHodder macrumors member

Doubt it. Like others have said, the iMac is more of an 'average consumer' machine, and most people will never have heard of an eSata port, let alone ever used one. FW800 should be fast enough for almost everything tho...

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

FW800 can only transfer data 100Mb/s. It's 800MBit not bytes (100*8=800). It's not fast enough for having a external boot drive