Is Apple Evil?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ApplesAOranges, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's a multi-billion dollar corporation. Of course it's evil!

That's what the world is like, Apple care about one thing only- money and how to get more of it. Strangley Apple has followers who seem to think it cares deeply about them, and about making the world better through better tech. It doesn't. It cares only about the money you have in your pocket. It's the same for every big company.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is a corporation not a human being. Its stated goal is to be profitable and make money for its owners (share holders). They do so in ways that have been incredibly productive. Does that make them evil, is making money a bad thing in 2011?

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

THIS. Plus, most TNCs are profit-driven, which makes them automatically evil. BUt again, it can be a double-edged sword in the consumer world. Better quality products from Apple after competition from Microsoft, etc? Yes please, Apple wouldn't be evil then! But if they charge sky-high prices that maximize their profit manyfold, then Apple IS evil.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

People are evil. Corporations are profitable (or not).
    The article (and its replies) are laughable.

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Making money isn't evil, and being number 1 isn't evil.

In big business there's no room for half measures - you either play to win or you may as well not bother. Who is buying music from the Zune store these days?

Having said that, it's not great to see the big players spending billions on patents and 'winning' in the court system rather than winning through innovation. That feels evil, and doesn't seem to be a great way of serving customers.

It's the job of these corporations to play by the rules of the game that they've been given, and we the voting public are the ones who set the rules. The current patent system seems really broken - but it's the job of society to fix it and make it work. In the meantime, companies have to protect themselves in order to stay competitive.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Where have you been. You obviously didn't get the memo. Any profitable company is by definition evil. For example I give you: Exxon, Wal Mart, Haliburton, Goldman Sachs.;)

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Not in and of itself - it's how you make the money counts. ;)

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, Apple is not evil (and the use of that very word in this context makes the article cited in the OP's post rather monochromatic in outlook). The very use of the word "evil", which is a very powerful one, pre-supposes or assumes an extreme, or an already polarised position on such a question.

Apple designs, manufactures and sells a number of products which are beautifully crafted and which are much sought after by the section of the world's population which can afford such consumer goods and are impressed by the products on offer.

However, in common with many companies which have been truly ground-breaking, Apple leaves quite a bit to be desired in how it makes its money and the ethical short-cuts it permits to be taken in pursuit of profit. Ethical short-cuts indicate a tolerance of amoral and immoral business practices; they do not indicate outright evil, as the word is understood, in the wider world. This may or may not change over time, or with the proverbial "passing of the torch".

It is a very successful company, without, it would seem, having to carry the cost of the burden of a corporate conscience. It goes without saying that this would also seem to be what the share-holders desire.

Cheers

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Well, Romney says corporations are people too, therefore if people are evil then corporations are evil. ;)

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As I reject Romney's statement, I'll stand by my post.

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Apple makes a bunch of a money but they at least have good customer service, Which is hard to find nowadays.

14. ApplesAOranges thread starter macrumors 6502

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Great post.

16. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

>2011>making money makes you evil> I seriously hope you guys don't do this
    AmIright Google? lol

17. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

This seems about right to me. :)

Am I the only one unable to decipher this post..? :eek::(

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Nope. I don't have a clue either. :confused: :eek:

But I was too embarrassed to admit it until you did :eek:

19. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Me 3, I get the first part, even though i disagree, but the last part is non comprehendible to me

20. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

It is possible to be motivated by more than one thing. Yes, it is a profit-maximizing company but Jobs didn't work every day the way he did to make another million. There's a reason he wouldn't want to be selling sugar water.

21. iJohnHenry, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Evil is subjective anyway.

Either a moral judgement, based on experience gathered, or political "expediency".

;)

EDIT: I just discovered that it's permitted to "Up/Down" ones own posts.

Another strike against this "function". :(

22. *LTD*, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

No. Sauron is "evil" from LOTR, and trolls from fantasy novels.

As I'm sitting here enjoying my Mac, iPhone and iPad, the last thing that comes to mind is how "evil" Apple is. Like, who cares, really. Apple isn't breaking any laws. They haven't been convicted of anything. They sell a product and do it lawfully. Where's the problem?

Using legal court mechanisms to champion your interests isn't "evil." It's business. The point of any business is to make a profit. However, consumers get stuff they want in return. A few people don't seem to like it when it's done on a large scale, however.

This whole "xxx corporation is evil" stuff is truly empty-headed. Which means, of course, that it has to appear on MacRumors as a thread topic. :roll eyes:

FYI, OP should consider the source.

InfoWars, run by Alex Jones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_(radio_host)

Mainstream sources have described Jones as conservative[4][5][6][7] and as an articulate, hypnotic, right-wing conspiracy theorist.[8][9][10][11

In 1998, Jones organized a successful effort to build a new Branch Davidian church as a memorial to those who died during the 1993 fire that ended the government's siege of the original Branch Davidian complex near Waco, Texas.[19] He often featured the project on his Public-access television program and claimed that Koresh and his followers were peaceful people who were murdered by Attorney General Janet Reno and the ATF during the siege.[18]

In July 2000, a group of Austin Community Access Center (ACAC) programmers claimed that Jones used legal proceedings and ACAC policy to intimidate them or get their shows thrown off the air. The programmers made their views known via radio broadcast and websites.[21] Also in 2000, Jones and assistant Mike Hanson infiltrated Bohemian Grove and filmed the opening weekend ceremony, known as the Cremation of Care, claiming it to be mock child sacrifice in front of a 40-foot-tall (12 m) stone owl of Moloch.

On June 8, 2006, while on his way to cover a meeting of the Bilderberg group in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Jones was stopped and detained at the Ottawa airport by Canadian authorities who confiscated his passport, camera equipment, and most of his belongings. He was later allowed to enter Canada lawfully. Jones said regarding the reason for his immigration hold, "I want to say, on the record, it takes two to tango. I could have handled it better."[22]

On September 8, 2007, he was arrested while protesting at 6th Avenue and 48th Street in New York City. He was charged with operating a bullhorn without a permit. Two others were also cited for disorderly conduct when his group crashed a live television show featuring Geraldo Rivera. In an article, one of Jones's fellow protesters said "It was ... guerilla information warfare."[23]