Is Apple Exchange Policy same as Return?

goknicks

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Looked at their site and no mention of"Exchanges" just a "14-day Return Policy"

Here's the situation:

1. Ordered a 6+ for the boss
2. phone delivered on the Oct. 6th
3. boss was out of town and returned today
4. boss wants the smaller 6

anyway, we just opened the box to inspect the phone and never turned it on.

no chance for him?

goknicks

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
no, I meant we didn't power it on so as not to activate it....

didn't want to de-activate his current phone while he was away

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
If he is still within the return period he can definitely have it exchanged. However if he used the subsidized or financed the phone, and it's been after 14 days, it may be a bit of problematic. But you can always ask the Apple store and see if the manager can allow a return.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think the biggest problem is the Apple store doesn't really do exchanges they actually return the phone and put the money on a gift card and then use that money to pay off the new phone. They then will refund the difference if there is one.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
I think the biggest problem is the Apple store doesn't really do exchanges they actually return the phone and put the money on a gift card and then use that money to pay off the new phone. They then will refund the difference if there is one.
I guess it varies. Because I purchased something online and when I returned it to the Apple store, they were a bit hesitant but they were able to refund it back into my card instead of having to put it on a gift card.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I guess it varies. Because I purchased something online and when I returned it to the Apple store, they were a bit hesitant but they were able to refund it back into my card instead of having to put it on a gift card.
Maybe it varies by store. I am in Ontario Canada.....I exchanged two iPhones back and they used this technique. Another one I returned directly for a refund they put it right back on my card and one is being shipped back to Apple.ca as we speak via UPS.

I was a bit indecisive you could say! :eek: