Is Apple falling behind on the Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by q64ceo, Mar 16, 2013.

1. q64ceo macrumors regular

TWC TV has debuted for the Roku. It is amazing even though it is still being worked on. I was absolutely surprised that Apple didn't get there first considering they are usually the ones ahead of the curb.

So, what happened? How did Apple let Roku set the future of TV media players? Can Apple TV survive this? Will the Apple TV ever get Amazon Instant Video, TWC, or even HBO Go as a native app?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Apple has always seen the Apple TV as a hobby. I doubt they really care if it sells.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Let me know when I can airplay to the Roku. Frankly I have a 1000 ways to get the weather. That isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

I thought TWC was Time Warner Cable. I thought that was a real coup. But now that I know it was The Weather Channel, I am underwhelmed. ;)

5. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

6. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I believe it all comes down to what your needs are. I need an ATV. I have no use for TWC or another Cable network. Most my media needs are Air-played off my Mac.

7. mic j macrumors 68030

So, I just looked it up. It's another situation where it is available if you are already a subscriber. Frankly, if I'm already a subscriber, I'm probably just going to watch it through the cable box not the aTV. Same as HBO Go. What we need is an alternative to subscribing to cable companies not another way to view their garbage. Again...no coup for Roku.

8. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Yeah, it's kind of obvious they don't care too much...

9. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Not really understanding the point of this.

10. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

The roku has one killer feature that the Apple TV currently lacks...3rd party apps.

I will admit I am considering one to place side by side with my Apple TV 3, although I would prefer apple to open up the Atv instead.

Google tv had promise as well, but then just kind of disappeared from the public. I not sure if they even still are being sold.

I also currently own a boxee box, it has made me gunshy about buying ANY new to market tv connected boxes. Over promise and under deliver tends to be the history the boxee box.

11. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I have an atv3 and plan on getting a roku 3 when I can. If it could be jailbroken I would not consider it.

12. 725032 Guest

Apple is falling behind in many parts of its business, not just TV.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

It lets you get a lot of cable TV channels in a room <guest room? loft? kitchen? garage?> without having to pay $10/month, or whatever your cable company charges you to lease one of their set-top boxes.

After 10 months of saving $10/month from your cable company, the Roku has paid for itself, and then after that, you're simply saving money.

Roku needs something like this. Their product IS their company.

14. linds15 macrumors 6502a

hasnt really paid for itself, if i were to pay for a cable package, i would want everything i pay for wherever i watch tv, adding a roku to get TWC or the few other things you need a cable subscription for wouldnt be great for me. ATV3 gets me everything i need so im good with it

15. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple falling behind? Not a chance, in total control, they'll release it when they get darn good & ready. To much fanfare as well.