Is Apple Forcing iPhone Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ellsworth, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to see if anyone else has experience what I did last night. I wasn't planning on updating my iphone until later one when the craze had calm down with everything. My iphone was running firmware 1.0.2 and I also stuck with iTunes 7.3.2. When I sanc (synced) up my iPhone to iTunes, iTunes automatically checked for updates. The cool part is that iTunes won't allow you to update to 1.1.1 without updating to the Latest iTunes first. Right after iTunes shot a message saying I was all up-to-date, I got this beautiful message:
    [​IMG]

I opted not to send this information just because I didn't feel like it. (FYI My iphone is unlocked through the Pay As You Go plan with install.App and a bunch of goodies.)

Now here's the good part. When I unmounted my iPhone, my Wifi connectivity totally tanked out. I could see my Wifi router's name and a few others around my neighborhood, I could connect to my wifi connect, but I wasn't getting anywhere past that. Safari couldn't load up and page, non of the built-in widgets were working (STOCKS, WEATHER, Etc.) but I was able to connect to APOLLO IM perfectly fine (possible different networking routes?)
    It wasn't my router or anything on my end because wifi was working perfectly fine on all computers around the house. Even my PSP was working fine. I brought my phone to Work and it didn't work off of our free wifi hear either.
    Sooooooooooo.. Early this morning, I decided to upgrade since I wasn't getting anywhere with this. I Upgraded iTunes at my work computer and upgraded my firmware on my phone and now everything is back to normal? WHAT GIVES? I really didn't care too much about upgrade.. For all I care, I just wanted to have an old firmware with all the goodies on it. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEMO?
    -Ellz

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Apple doesnt force updates,
    The error means something crashed on your phone, I got them all the time, until I said dont ask me again.

3. alljunks macrumors regular

they can force u to update yet...so i uncheck all the auto. update feaure..

4. ellsworth thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still think it was weird... Oh well. My iphone runs smooooth!

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Apple can't force the firmware update on you. iTunes will notify you that its available, but you aren't forced to upgrade your iPhone to version 1.1.1.

What you're seeing here is something completely different. When an application crashes on your iPhone it generates a crash log just like you would normally find in Console in OSX. Then when you sync your phone the next time, it'll ask you whether or not you want to send those crash logs to Apple (just like it does for crash logs on your computer). This picture that you posted has nothing to do with the firmware update.

You probably could have done with a quick reboot to fix whatever the problem was. Stop being so paranoid - Apple isn't out to get you.

6. ellsworth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah.. No paranoid... just wanted my wifi to work.. and was just curious... me... paranoid.... nah... I'm not paranoid... nope... not me... never.. Paranoid? pppsssha no... not at all..

7. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Well just as long as we're clear on that. ;)