Is Apple getting wise?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Zord, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

As I i'm reading all the threads tonight i'm seeing so many post with people that are having problems with not being able to restore or there iPhone is bricked or "stuck" for some reason.

Seriously read all the issues just on page 1. Limbo, iTunes issues, Bricked!!

Is apple getting hip to Jailbreaking and just how to stop it from happening?

Should we be scared?

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

All these errors has nothing to do with Apple stopping people jailbreaking

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Jailbroke an ip4 and and iPad last week. Took about two minutes each, zero issues. Keep in mind, most people aren't going to post their success stories, they're only posting when they have a problem, so it's always going to look a lot worse than it really is.

4. celticpride678

Nope, people always have issues trying to restore.

5. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Good point, didn't think about it this way. :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As time goes by Apple is getting wiser in trying to fight back Jailbreaking and unlocking.
    This SHSH's verification before restoring any firmware on 3GS and i4's is a sign that they are trying new things they didnt before with iphone 2G and 3G models.
    Hope they dont lock it up as tight as Sony with their PS3 in the future.

7. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

8. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Not unless you're a n00b who doesn't know what they are doing. If you read, research, and learn before you try and jailbreak, no, you shouldn't have a problem.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

First time on a discussion forum, eh? :D

Forming an opinion based solely on the number of posts in a discussion forum, any discussion forum, isn't a good idea. The most recent jb is the easiest ever and people still managed to have problems and they post, usually starting a brand new thread which gives the false impression there are lots of issues.

10. Cookies n footy macrumors newbie

So tight that a simple USB stick allows backups? Yes the software was made with the SDK but still....

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you went back in time to a year ago, the posts would be the same. It's newbies and lack of reading and research that result in these issues.

A year from now, you will see the same thing.

The only thing really new here is all the Facetime questions

12. brunetmj macrumors member

I imagine, given the recent court rulings , apple will try to stop jailbreaking or at least throw up more obstacles . Other posters are correct that currently it is easier to jailbreak then it's ever been. From what I gather from reading posts , as well as personal expierence, is that people try to do to much ( add to many apps) when jailbreaking without taking proper precautions.

13. bova80 macrumors 6502a

i like the jailbreak but seems like everytime i have done it the phone does become very unstable. on my iphone 4 it locked up at least 2 or 3 times in which i had to hold both buttons down to get it to reset. so i restored and would much have a stable phone over a jailbroke one. but thats just me.

14. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Eh...the day Apple actually prevents jailbreaking permanently is the same day I get a new phone. At least now there are plenty to choose from that are, at least, the iPhone's equal unlike a couple of years ago where there was practically nothing. It is, after all, just a phone and I'm not the kind of sucker Apple counts on to make it into something more than that.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Ya, but so far it's been a half-harted attempt at best. The SHSH system is obviously broken but Apple doesn't care because it was never meant to be a full proof way of stopping downgrading. All they really cared about was making it harder so more people would be discouraged from trying and to lock out new comers so hopefully they forget about jb.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

no reason to be scare/nervous ..... "There is not patch for human stupidity" . There will always be people having issues even with the most simple step by step or fool proof process.

17. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If they really were against jailbreaking, they would remove the Option+Restore function. They wont though because so many people only buy an iPhone to jailbreak it.

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

The reason Apple owns the phone and MP3 markets is because Sony wanted maximum security and an airtight grip on the devices.

I remember Sony's Network Walkman's and the OpenMG software. You couldn't just copy files to your device, you had to check them in and out, and you could only have three copies checked out. Backups? Good luck.

Because Sony's DRM was so prevalent, Apple managed to get the market, even after the iTunes Store came around with FairPlay DRM. To boot, relatively few users banged into the limitations of FairPlay DRM, and if they did, they could just burn a CD-RW of the songs and re-import them. With iTunes Plus, that isn't an issue anymore.

I just wish that Apple could do like Android and have an anti-piracy mechanism that isn't tied to having a device resistant to jailbreaking. This way, Apple can spend their money making cooler stuff, and not keeping their devices locked down.

19. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Join date Jul 10.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience Jb and this forum. This is normal behavior when a new JB comes out and you have a rush of new inexperienced users. Anytime you see a 'bricked' thread that user doesn't know what they are talking about in the first place.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Even though the SHSH system can easily be bypassed its still an obstacle and still many people get left out with no JB and unlocking for a while. I believe the percentage of people with SHSH's on file and that keep up with the JB scene is low compared to number of iphone users worldwide.
    I think they're ok with it.
    Hope they dont make things harder for us down the road.

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I've frequently wondered about the ease of bypassing the signature server. Apple could easily have fixed this in the iPhone 4...and they should have known better in the first place. It's really basic security for signature servers.