Is Apple giving out new phones or refurbs when replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

So to make a long story short i am on my 2nd 6 plus and received this one a couple weeks ago, they said it was new which i found odd because in the past they were always refurbs. Now i have been having a problem for the last couple weeks where people will not be able to heard me during a conversation, it happens sporadically but seemingly at the worst times. So i brought it in today and the girl took the notes down and said we will set it up as a new phone again and if it keeps happening come back and we will replace the phone with a new one. So i asked and she adiment that all the phones are new and not refurbished, at least in the time she has been there. I mentioned that the serials number sequence used to be different on refurbs than original new ones and she had no idea.

Anyway...whats the story? Are they new or just refurbs as usual which are good as new? I don't like them saying its new since if it is considered new i should get a box that has the IMEI on it that matches the phone.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This is asked like every single day.
    They could be new or refurbs. Its up to them, not up to the customer to decide what they will receive as long as its a fully function defect free replacement.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

What you get in the white box is either a refurb or new. Apple mixes them together.

Regardless, refurbs are just as good as new (despite the dissenting opinion of other users here). Refurbs have entirely new cases, all parts are tested. Failed parts are replaced and the phone is run through the same testing that new phones get.

New or refurb it's indisinguishable.

BTW, as far as serials go, my understanding is that Apple has deliberately muddied things up with that precisely because they caught on to the fact that users got wise to this.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Please state how having a matching box equals the phone being new? What if the phone was manufactured for the very first time, assembled for the first time, went through QA for the first time but didn't get put into retail packaging and was set aside for replacement purposes? Does that equate to "new" for you?

----------

Refurbished are as good as new. They do get a brand new casing and battery as you mentioned. And they go through the exact same QA process that retail new units go through, except this will be the second time (once when it was "new"). Personally, I get new because I like the experience of opening the packaging and I'm kind of particular, but I do admit it's irrational and that refurbished are as good as new.

5. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

The Apple refurbished products either myself or friends have received as warranty replacements have been virtually indistinguishable from new. It's been like that for years. A very impressive accomplishment.

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

For a phone that's so new I highly seriously doubt it's refurb. And the people at the genius bar have no idea if it is or isn't even on older models. They don't get that info. Most likely it's new and just manufactured to be a replacement device

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's the 'virtually' bit I don't like. If I take a mint, babied two month old phone in because it's faulty, I don't wish to receive anything but a mint phone in return. Mine get front & rear screen protectors, plus a case, out of the box. This whole refurb business on a nearly new phone irks me. Fair enough at the 11 month old mark but a faulty phone within three months should be swapped for a new one IMO. That's providing it's in perfect condition. If someone wants to swap out a scratched POS then give them a refurb!

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

FWIW, one Genius I overheard while exchanging my 6 this week was patiently explaining to an elderly couple that the replacement phone they were receiving was in fact new, from a batch manufactured specifically for replacement stock. His wording was such that it certainly sounded like they were brand new, but who knows?

Personally, I don't care. My "new" phone works a thousand times better than my "brand new" one that came with the serial number on the box a month ago. The outer casing looks new, the screen is fine, etc. I have no complaints.

9. Applejuiced, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your expectations are irrational. Just because you baby your phone you're supposed to get a brand new one 2-3 months later? For what?
    Most phone manufacturers don't even provide anything close to what apple does. Not thoroughly checked and brand new looking and working refurbished replacements. What they will have to do is you send in your faulty phone and wait till they repair the failing parts and then ship it back to you.
    Seems like many of us are getting too spoiled with Apples customer service and way they conduct business and we become highly unreasonable , demanding and picky.
    If the replacement works, feels and looks brand new then what is the problem besides just an illogical thought stuck in your head that you received a refurbished unit?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Please explain how white box replacement iPhones aren't mint if new from factory or a returned iPhone retrofitted with a brand new case, screen and battery?

Sorry but you can't eat your cake and have it too. If you swap out a 2-month-old iPhone under warranty it's only fair that you receive a 2-month-old iPhone in exchange. That it may be brand new from factory or retrofitted with a brand new case, screen and battery is just icing on the cake. Don't fool yourself into thinking your iPhone isn't "used" all this time.

11. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I certainly understand your concern, I can only comment on my personal experience and that of trusted friends who like myself, are of the same mind as you. However it is what it is. Apple policy.

That said I have never had any problem and they arrive cosmetically perfect.

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Regardless of any model replacement. The fact is when its when it's replaced. The phone you get has never been used by anyone. As for 6's. I'm sure theyre new. Older models it's a guessing game. Might be new might be remanufactured. Refurbished means someone owned it before

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On the Apple iphone instance it means that some parts may have been reused.
    You do get a brand new outside front and back case, screen, battery and every other reused part thoroughly tested for functionality and reliability.
    Its not that the phone is used before or someone owned it but some working internal parts might have came from other returned or exchanged devices.

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

I know. I was working there until a few months ago. But when people think refurb they think it's used

15. nitromaxx macrumors member

I'm with this guy. If it has a brand new case and screen and the faulty internals have been replaced, there's no difference between a refurb and new phone. If it walks like a duck...

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, just the "refurb" sound of the word just makes them go nuts:D
    Just because other companies put out really bad, used, failing, abused and faulty refurbished devices they think its the same thing with Apple.
    The entitlement attitude by some customers is out of control sometimes:D
    Gotta love it though.

17. its Dale macrumors 6502

I got a replacement phone on Dec. 3 from the Genius Bar. I checked the serial # and turns out it was a NEW replacement.

Apple puts iPhones aside specifically for trades.. therefore they do not waste time boxing them in fancy packaging

18. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I've had a refurb iPhone before and there were some minor cosmetic issues indicating it was handled quite a bit more than a factory fresh new phone.

19. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

If part # is different from that on retail box or 'model' # in Settings appears different than your original, you got a refurb :D (is my suspicion)

20. Paco II macrumors 65816

If you received a refurb from Apple and it had cosmetic issues indicating use, you should have immediately exchanged it. Every refurb I've ever received over the years has been of mint condition. Apple's quality bar for refurbs is quite high.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, this is only true of carrier-refurbished iPhones. All of Apple's white box replacement iPhones get a brand new case, screen and battery (unless new straight from factory). Refurbished iPhones from the carrier may not receive this same treatment.

22. newellj macrumors 603

Thank you, this is the truth. The only major component that's "used" is the logic board.

23. Apothacarion macrumors member

Apothacarion

I had to swap out the I5 a couple of years back after a few months and when I asked the Genius if it was a refurb he said no, all swap outs are new and that Apple doesn't use refurbs in that particular situation. I don't know how true that is, but that is what he told me.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"All swap outs are new" is always true in the first couple of months after the debut of a new iPhone, when all white box replacements are new straight from factory and there is not sufficient supply of returned iPhones to be retrofitted with a brand new case, screen and battery.

"That Apple doesn't use refurbs" can be argued to be true because Apple doesn't call them "refurbs" but "replacement iPhones." You cannot even buy a Certified Refurbished iPhone in the online Apple Store.