Is Apple going to treat the iPad as a Mac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by djrod, Oct 27, 2012.

1. djrod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

djrod

I mean, keep the same design for several years and only updating the CPU, GPU, etc. every few months like they have done with the fourth generation?

2. charlieegan3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I don't see why not, just as much reason to be like the iPhone though. once every 2 years for a design change.

3. tann
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Maybe one day, but this I believe was just to keep the iPad relevant. If they kept the A5X the difference between the mini and iPad would be ridiculous. Also with the new Nexus 10 (rumored) to pack a definite punch they might have felt like they want their device as good as possible for the holidays (and to maybe last until next October!).

If they have pushed iPads (mini + regular) to end of year updates they could do a tic tok type of release cycle, one year iPad redesign/change the next iPad mini. Each year one didn't get a design change they would just be internal updates. That way people would potentially buy a new iPad each year (one year mini, the next iPad). Just something that they could do!

4. parseckadet
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

What is there to change? It's a giant screen with a button. All they've done since the original iPad is play with the thickness.

5. Powrie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

iSlate

It will be between an iPad and an iMac

Kinda like how the mini is between a Touch and the iPad

6. Mak47
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Eventually the iPad will have software to detect intentional/unintentional touches, the bezels will go away at that point. It'll be a display with a back. It will get thinner and lighter along the way and maybe more sizes will be introduced--but at that point in the design, what's to change?

So yeah, you're thinking is probably right on.

7. Powrie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

The mini already has something like that.

They shrunk the bezels on the side and made it more intelligent to an unintentional touch.

8. aprofetto8
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I think they are treating the iPad as a Mac. This is probably why they dropped the number, i.e. just iPad, not iPad 3 or iPad 4.

But let's be realistic, how many times can they keep updating it externally? It's a thin tablet with a big screen and a single button. I'm all for it being thinner and lighter, but I believe you hit a point in terms of thinness and lightness that is a sweet spot. Whether the iPad is there now or not is a matter of opinion I suppose.

9. ManicMarc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Agreed