Is Apple Inc. Your Most Trusted Online Storage Option?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Aug 27, 2018.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Hi,

I'm asking which online cloud storage you find most trusting. I used to use Dropbox about 5 years ago before all the Snowden stuff and no longer trusting DropBox.

I use Omnifocus on an almost daily basis and I absolutely love the encryption with their data sync server. Only I can access my OmniFocus info and no one from the Omni Group company can ever see my stuff, even if I request for it and put in a ticket. The downside here is that if I personally accidentally delete any OmniFocus info while I'm using the app, it'll be impossible for me to retrieve the info and this has happened before where I'll be walking and accidentally swipe a whole folder away.

The point is, Im switching my entire life to just simple files such as PDF's or hell, maybe even TextEdit. I'm just wanting to be able to recover these files from anywhere and Apple iCloud seems like a good choice, so long as there isn't some weird back end government deal where they can see my files. It's nothing bad, mainly just to-do lists of errands but wouldn't want anyone but mine own eyes seeing them.

2. Sackofnickels Suspended

Sackofnickels

I use OneDrive. Comes as part of Office 365. I get 1TB of storage as part of the plan. Have had no issues. Have not been subpoenaed by the NSA or contacted by Russia, so, so far so good.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Has Apple Inc?

4. Sackofnickels Suspended

Sackofnickels

Not that I am aware of. I was just pointing out that my data appears to be safe.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don’t always need a trusted online storage option, but when I do I securely store everything on Yahoo and Equifax.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I work on the basis that no third party can every guarantee to be 100% secure and therefore can't be 100% trusted. For most of my stuff (holiday snaps, music, etc), they're all secure enough and I use OneDrive as I have a total of 6TB of it (1TB personal OneDrive and 5TB OneDrive for Business)

Anything that I would consider truly confidential (financial information, proprietary stuff relating to my business, etc) gets treat with much more care though and is stored on a couple of NAS devices that get backed up to private S3 compatible storage buckets after being AES-256 encrypted with a 100 character key

I guess what I'm saying is the only stuff that could be stolen or otherwise obtained from a cloud service is stuff that I wouldn't lose that much sleep over someone else seeing because that's all that's stored in them

7. jljue macrumors 6502

My company uses Box for any file sharing for external sharing methods. For personal, I use iCloud, but I'm working on migrating much of the archive to Synology hosted at home that is backed up to iDrive. The Synology is also saving/backing up/syncing the data from my personal Box and DropBox accounts, too.

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I've migrated mostly to iCloud (I pay the dolllar-a-month for the 50gb) though I do like the platform flexibility of DropBox.

Being mostly on Mac now has helped to migrate to icloud.

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Mostly Amazon S3. For backups, I use an app called Arq https://www.arqbackup.com

But I also use Dropbox, especially for things I need to share.

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Apple's warrant canary died, so it's safe to assume that the government has got its hands in it at least once.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I use Dropbox. But not because I have any thought that it's secure. I use it for convenience.

Anything I put in there is reachable by any computer or device that can access it. Nothing I put in there is sensitive or highly personal.

Anything like that is stored on a computer at home, and not the one I can reach via filesharing over the internet either.

So, if the NSA wants to go through my screencaps that I take for the stuff I post online or peruse PDF instruction manuals or take note of my son's bus route I can't stop them.

I haven't used iCloud for anything except iDevice backups and iMessage since Apple decided they wouldn't support PowerPC Macs anymore with the iPhone 5. Again, anything there that's sensitive is off the device. I could lose everything off my device tomorrow and nothing important would be lost. I'd be inconvenienced but I don't store important stuff on a phone.

In short, I use cloud storage for convenient access and backup - not for secure storage.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

@HappyDude20 to do list.

Sell drugs.
    Buy WOMD.
    Plan bank robbery

I'm sure no one is interested in your to do lists! :p

Personally I trust no one. I keep my stuff on my own hard drives.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Stuff I don't care about goes on Onedrive. It works and is included with my Office 365 subscription. Photos are synced with iCloud since it is the most convenient option for my phone. Anything important is stored I my own drives.

I suppose if I had any actual need for it to be available online and was nuts about privacy. I'd use an online option which let me create my own encryption key. So, that they had no way to recover it. As I don't have anything very important. I'd probably just toss it all on Onedrive since I already have the subscription. If I didn't probably Apple due to their privacy policies.

14. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Everyone is kinda trusted, because everything I send to the cloud is encrypted.

This excludes text documents, photos and such, those are automatically updated to iCloud, and I do not have a need to encrypt those.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

16. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Have you thought about setting up your own personal cloud at home and another redundant back up solution off site? While I do use Dropbox for somethings, I have a NAS box that I setup and can access them anywhere I have a network or cellular connection. This way I don't have to worry about the things you are worried about, as much.

17. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

You joke, but the young man who pulled off the 2009 million dollar heist from the British Natural History Museum had a MS Word document on his computer with his to-do list.

The document's filename was "Plan for museum invasion.doc".

In my imagination, the police computer forensics team found this document in 40 seconds, and it only took that long because the computer needed 38 seconds to boot up.

18. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

2009 million dollars is quite a lot of dollars.

19. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

Today's story in the news about the iPhone's being hacked from China in the very early stages is an interesting viewpoint to consider when thinking about this issue. I get it that no one is really interested in my vacation photos and the occasional creep may want my bank statements and what not but what about when random citizens from other countries can have access to gigabytes of info of specific people?

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Which storage does iCloud use? It's either MSFT or Amazon

21. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

iPhones weren't hacked from China.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You're right, it was the iCloud server. Once again, my choice of using a detached personal NAS as my cloud proved to be the best choice for me. FOR ME is the key word.

23. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Right, although there is a lot of uncertainty (head over to PSRI) at to the verity of the story as Apple have vehemently denied it.

That said, I see wisdom in your choice of setting up a personal NAS as your own cloud...

24. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Apple? Hardly. Given Apple's track record, I don't really use iCloud storage for anything other than random iOS apps that want to sync data to their desktop versions. Certainly don't keep things I care about, like important files (Dropbox), my mail, my contacts, calendar, etc (Fastmail), in it.

Oh, I do spend the 99c/month for the 50gb plan, to allow my iPhone to back itself up, but that's just for convenience. Primary iOS backups are via iMazing and those backups then get themselves backed up to Backblaze.

Pictures go in Google Photos, which I then backup to my Synology. Back up Dropbox to there too. The Synology itself gets backed up to Glacier.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wouldn’t the creep be more interested in the photos. How many creeps want bank statements. Best bet is store your backups in an uncrackable vault.