Is Apple intentionally sabotaging Flash in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by foidulus, Nov 9, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

It seems that flash in Safari is getting worse and worse, now often times videos in Flash simply refuse to play in Safari but they work fine in Firefox(exact same plugin!)

Before Apple started its very public feud with Adobe, Flash would work fine in Safari, but ever since then it seems that with every release of Safari Flash just gets worse and worse. I cannot help but wonder if Steve is intentionally sabotaging Flash on Safari or at the very least dictating that devs spend a minimal amount of time testing Safari with Flash......

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go as far as saying that.... SJ loathes flash, but sabotaging would work against his interests, as anybody with a Mac would be pissed at him for not respecting the his/her choice of accessing flash content - which is quite common, regardless of Apple's wishes - with relative efficiency. And then there's the famous "works out-of-the-box" slogan.... Safari hasn't been a good flash content browser anyway. So no sabotage, but a clear lack of interest, sure.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Interesting. I found this thread as I was looking up stuff about Safari. My Safari crashed today while watching a flash video. It will no longer open. I've had PLENTY of problems with Safari recently, and beach balls out the wazoo, but now...it won't even open. Well, it does launch, and brings up a browser window, but nothing loads, and it's just a beach ball. Never goes away. Even after reinstalling Safari from scratch, no luck. I am done with this POS browser. I have used it since the beginning, but now it just seems to be garbage.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

To answer the OP question ... No Apple is not sabotaging Safari

and to the above reply ... something is wrong with your set-up because Safari is not beach balling for the rest of us.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

To answer the OP question ... No Apple is not sabotaging Flash or Safari

and to the above reply ... something is wrong with your set-up because Safari is not beach balling for the rest of us.

6. Moodikar macrumors regular

I'm using Safari 5.0.2 and flash no longer works even with the plug in installed. Firefox works fine. I'm not sure if this has to do with 32bit versus 64 bit. I know that divx doesn't work either but that's because it is not 64 bit. Divx stopped working about a year ago.

This might be the case with flash and safari. If adobe makes a 64 bit version, perhaps it'll work on safari again (hopefully better and to SJ's standard of quality).