Is Apple likely to enable the Touch's FM & wireless N capabilities?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thermal, Sep 20, 2009.

1. thermal macrumors regular

I'm uncertain whether to go for the Touch or the new Nano.

One of the appealing factors of the Nano is its FM radio. I know it's old technology, but it's extremely useful when I go to the gym and there's a bank of TV's broadcasting over FM frequencies.

I've read the Touch has FM and wireless N capability built-in, but Apple has chosen not to enable these. What's the likelihood that Apple will enable these capabilities in the future (perhaps over firmware)? Having a Touch that could both receive and transmit FM would be Extremely appealing (I listen via an FM transmitter in my car), and would certainly sway me to the Touch instead of the Nano.

Thank you in advance.

2. Tieranus macrumors newbie

I'd say go for the Touch.

Apple will most likely enable these in the future through firmware. It is good that you do not have any iPod as for current iPod Touch 2G users, the battery life has decreased from 36 hours to 30 hours of music playback, (ilounge review says a lot).

With Wireless N and FM radio enabled, it would result in further battery drain. Personally being a 2g owner, I'd wait for whatever Apple comes out with next as there is most likely a camera and battery life increase.

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

If the Nano does more what you want, go for it. It is cheaper and you can upgrade to the itouch later if you want the apps, video etc. I can't imagine Apple putting in something and then not using it. You can listen to FM in your car with the Nano if you have the right adapter can't you?

The other thing about the battery life from 36 to 30 hours, I read that the 30 hours was actually closer to being acurate for both 2nd and 3rd gen itouches.

4. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

why does everybody keep thinking that apple will turn on these features. The touch 2g has the same broadcom chip without wireless N only b and g.

5. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Because they're there, and aren't being used, meaning the product isn't at it's fullest potential?

6. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

But i don't think they ever will. And even if they do you'll be paying for it, just like with the crappy bluetooth update.

7. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

One time payment for FM radio?
    Seems good to me :/

8. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

sounds good to me too, but according to the ifixit guide the antenneas to transmit and recieve are not in it.

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Nano, so light and small for gym workouts and running. I doubt Apple will enable these features. They may only work in the 4th generation.

10. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I thought it said it's missing the antenna.
    Dunno. Maybe it's there, but they skipped over it? (Okay, this is kinda getting hopeful, but don't you think Apple put the chips in there so they could be used?)

11. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

The antenna for the iPod Nano is the headphone wires. No reception until you plug your headphones in, then voila.... excellent reception.

Does Apple have a history of enabling capabilities through firmware?

12. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Does enabling Bluetooth count?
    If what you're saying is true, (I must go Google that :3) then I believe Apple will enable it in the future. I mean, if it's just a feature sitting there disabled, then they might as well enable it in the future, right?

13. Tieranus macrumors newbie

If you read iLounges reviewed, you'll see the following stats:

"the second-generation promised 36 hours of audio time and delivered 39.75, and 6 hours of video, delivering 5 hours and 41 minutes. These were major improvements, and unusually, Apple retreated a little from them for the late 2009 iPod touch: only 30 hours of audio were promised, alongside the same 6 hours of video.

"the new touch ran for 30 hours and 20 minutes before expiring" (3G)

The only thing that the new touch improved is the video playback by 2 hours, but audio is shaved off.

Another thing is after 30 minutes of playing Doom Resurrection, 3rd Gen iPod Touch lost 15% of battery life, whereas 2nd Gen lost 10%.

14. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

There is a precedent. For example, they enabled the Wireless N capabilities of the first generation of Core 2 Duo Macs via a paid firmware upgrade. (The firmware upgrade was also available bundled with the purchase price of a new AirPort Extreme.)

In that case, though, there were clear indications all along that it was physically possible - the prerequisite antennae were already there, waiting to be turned on. Does this Broadcom part use the same antennae for draft-802.11n as it does for 802.11g? Or are different and/or additional antennae required? Are those antennae actually present?

Is there any indication from inspection of the PCB to suggest that any electrical connections are present to connect the Broadcom chip's FM tuner/transmitter to the headphone wires to act as an FM antenna?

15. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I can see them enabling 11n wifi as part of next years' os 4 launch - after all they can't have the ipod touch offering something that's not in the iphone!

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Perfect! I was hoping for longer battery life playing video. I've never used all of the battery life playing music before finding a power source to recharge. Not even when traveling around the world. Video on the other hand...