Is Apple mimicking Android device aesthetics?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

I was looking forward to the new iPhone 6, but I am really disappointed with the leaked designs. They all seem to coalesce around a large, ungainly phone with mile wide antenna lines and a protruding camera ring. The finish on the metal case doesn't look very premium either. Couple that with the iOS 7 redesign which many folks, myself included, felt like a shout out to Android, and I am wondering if the design team at Apple has seen some market research or something that led them to begin to bring the iPhone more into line with android/samsung design aesthetics.

There is some hope in the notion that it hasn't been released yet, and that Apple might surprise us all with a magnificent metal/glass/sapphire hybrid. But at this point in the game, the leaks are most likely accurate. I mean, there are millions of units being produced by tens of thousands of workers in China. The likelihood of Apple keeping the design under wraps this long, not to mention until Sept. 9, seems remote.

If the iPhone 6 actually turns out even close to the leaks, then I'll just hold on to my 5s, which is an awesome phone anyways. I guess I was just hoping for something more awesome:(

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Well, iOS7 looks less like Android 4~ than Android M like iOS7. Though the iPhone6 design looks similar to an HTC phone apparently, a photo is floating around somewhere here.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think the main thing about the 6 will be the new iOS and new screen size!

If you are waiting for some spectacular WOW thing, I am afraid you will be dissapointed. It is getting really hard for any cell phone maker to come up with something really WOW/big anymore.

Apple has always been somewhat conservative and I would expect them to be so.

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Are you kidding me? I been dreaming of a iPhone that as thin as a iPod touch, ever since iPod touches came out i would hold them in my hand and be like wow imagine one day a iPhone becomes this thin.. That day is coming now , i know some people dont care about thinness at all and yes the device being ultra ultra thin isnt the biggest thing to a phone, but the i6 is going to be a absolute dam joy to hold in hand, feel in hand, and to just look at. It looks like a iPod touch and im loving the glass how it overlaps the edges if the leaked photos shown are real

Apple is not mimicking Android device aesthestics at all, you say because of the antenna bands and stripes on the phone? Iphone 4 came out with that first remember? No device on the market looks like a iPhone 6 if the latest leaks are truly the iphone 6.

You looked at photos of a possibly unfinished unbrushed iphone 6, beyond sure that the finish you see in leaked photos is not the finish you get in hand ,it doesnt look fully brushed or anodized properlu

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

This is the new Samsung Galaxy Alpha, so I reckon it's the other way around...

[​IMG]

6. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, maybe they are moving toward each other

7. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

I can definitely see an Apple influence in these. But the back is still plastic! They put out a phone saying they are listening to consumers who want premium materials. They say they are releasing a phone with a metal case. To me that is not a metal case. That is a plastic case with a metal ring around it. Now they can't even copy Apple's designs well.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Everyone borrows anything off anyone if it will make them a buck.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No it looks like the ipod touch 5th generation and iPad mini/air to me.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think android makers are stealing from apple and apple is stealing from android, i.e., everyone is copying everyone :)

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

With Samsung now using aluminium edges for their phones, I wouldn't mind betting Apple will do that at some point.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well Samsung is an exception in that they usually copy Apple without shame.

I think the iPhone 6 mockups look similar to HTC's design though.

EDIT: I can't even believe Samsung would release a product like that. That's pretty blatant even by their standards. It seriously looks like a larger iPhone 5S. They should be embarrassed by that product.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand you comment, doesn't the current iPhone already have aluminum edges?

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Sorry my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I said that with a slight sprinkle of sarcasm. I'm British and can't help myself :p :)

15. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Damn it, now I wish the new iPhone was edgy & sharp, rather than the curved design :(

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I would fall in love with the new design if it had glass on the back for the top and bottom instead of those lines.

17. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

you kidding..ios7 looks nothing like android... why why why

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yep...looks exactly the same.

Attached Files:

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Not to be insensitive but, who cares?

Some of you act like this is your first new car. :p

20. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

It not not look nothing alike... boooooooooooguuuuussssssss

21. TDSlam720 macrumors newbie

Have Apple users never seen an android phone or something? iPhone 6 leaks look like an ugly bootleg version of HTC One M7 or M8.

I'm in the market for a new phone, and there's nothing android has that has everything I want in a new phone. I started looking at iPhone and got pretty excited when I saw the 6 was coming out soon, because I thought it would have everything I wanted spec wise, with a nice premium looking body The iPhone 5s is a gorgeous phone, so I assumed the 6 would be as well.

I currently own the HTC One M7, and I think it's one of the best designed phones of all time. I think the iPhone 5s looks great, so I'm pretty shocked and disappointed at these leaked photos. The back of the 6 looks like a really bad chinese knock off of the HTC One. The One has bands , but its just a line straight across, and doesn't continue down the sides. The 6 mock ups have those bands that curve with the phone, they just look awful.

Either way, I like the rest of what's supposed to be in the 6 , so I might end up getting one, I just hate that I would be spending 600-800 dollars on something that looks far worse than a 1-2 year old phone that I currently have.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Everyone uses ideas of from everyone else. Finger print sensors, antenna breaks, larger screens, and a ton of features in iOS 7 were done a very long time ago by Android and android phones. They arent as much copying as they are providing a product that the consumer wants. Same applies to Android and android phones.

Samsung themselves do seem to directly copy some of Apples designs a little too closely IMO.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Wait a little longer and don't judge off the back of supposed leaked photos that could very well be clones or prototypes. I have to say though in my subjective personal opinion, the leaks look nicer than the HTC, but then again I've had a few HTC's and won't be going back there anytime soon.

24. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

25. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Well I personally think the back of te iphone 6 will look good. All these releases are just parts and renderings, not the completed product. Everyone said the iphone 4 was hideous but then fell in love with it when they saw it in person.
    I'll personally have mine in a case anyways so the back lines and protruding lens don't bother me a bit.