Is Apple obliged to fix my iPhone issue even though it has a cracked screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, May 10, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

So today, after many many falls, I finally cracked my iPhones screen. Bad design on the holster I use (the Marware Sidewinder) has led to frequent phone detachment from it whenever I move quickly down a flight of stairs, or jump, or just do anything where my body has alot of momentum. Many times it has popped out and I hold my breath as I pick up my iPhone only to discover that its good structural design has saved it once again. But nothing is perfect and today it took a hard spill after popping out of the Sidewinder as I was running down a flight of stairs and hitting the concrete hard on the way to go see Iron Man.

Thankfully, everything still works on the unit. Touch functionality is still there. I just have a huge crack at the lower right hand of my screen. I now know to never buy Marware products again and am reluctant to even call them and tell them my story as I don't believe they'll even care.

But, I've been wanting to take my iPhone in to see a Genius for a while now since there are a couple of songs that literally restart my phone from no where once I play them. I would like them to take a look at it and fix it. If I make it clear to them what happened with the crack and that I am fine with it, do you think they will fix my other issue? Or will they have such a huge issue with the crack to deny me service?

I've just spent a lot of time researching, and I'm definently going to pick up a Contour Design Showcase for iPhone. I think it was a mistake trust Marware and the Showcase has many glowing reviews....Thanks for the advice guys.

2. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

why would you continue to use the case even though you knew that it could damage your iPhone?

they will fix your phone for $250, because of the cracked screen.

you could call the case company, i doubt theyd do anything though

3. coachfreak macrumors member

If the problem is unrelated to the screen I would have to say yes. ^^^ is correct, they will replace physi'cal damage for $250. The first question they will ask for a software issue is "have you restored your phone?"

So, have you restored your phone and is the problem with those songs still there if you add the songs back on? restore from the backup?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, backup, backup and then backup. My son just had his iPhone replaced and did not do a backup. He's using his old phone to replace his contacts, and he's going on four-hundred contacts! (My own flesh and blood:eek:) Skip the arguing and pay the man/woman $250 and get on with the program. Never use those swivel holsters for anything, they get expensive time and time again. :eek::eek:

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The short version of your answer is no. Regardless of what was happening before or after Apple won't replace your iPhone (remember, they don't literally repair them, they repair them by replacing them) if there is a crack in the screen. Beyond running a restore on your iPhone's software in the same manner that you are able to is as far as they will go.

Evidence of accidental damage trumps any future hardware repairs. Any hardware issue is phenomenally more likely to have occurred from the instance(s) that caused obvious physical damage than normal use, so it won't be covered. Of course, what you've described is much more likely a software issue, so your choice is basically to restore your iPhone and continue to use it until there is a hardware issue, or replace it now if there the issue isn't resolved by the restore or if you just are tired of looking at the crack. :)

$250 is a pretty good deal for a replacement, considering.

6. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, yes, its been thru many restores in an attempt to fix the software issue. None of them have worked.

7. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I don't actually think they'll help you with your phone after it's cracked, because they say once you have cracked your screen, the warranty is voided, unless you pay to have your phone replaced -- that's really all they'll do.

This is mainly what I've heard, never experience it though. I cracked my screen in March and took it in and the guy replaced it, no questions asked... great service!