Is Apple out of the Display Business?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by graphicimage, Jan 21, 2010.

1. graphicimage macrumors newbie

I have been waiting years now to buy a 30" monitor but have been waiting to see what Apple comes up with to replace the aging 30" monitor. Is it going to be glossy? Is it going to be higher res? Larger for the same price? It has been way too long, if they were out I would just move on to NEC or something. I have to act soon but none of the major brands have introduced anything new in years either... what's next for larger monitors? Do I wait a little longer?

I am a Photographer and Graphic Designer and am looking for a high end 30" monitor. I almost bought the NEC for around $2000 but felt Apple was about to upset the market again... that was a year ago and once again the rumors are based on gadgets and updating existing gadgets... are they out of the high end monitor business?

I wondered if the newer models would be higher res, sharper and have better color control but all I hear is touch screen and something unsubstantiated about higher resolution.

Any suggestions, insight or hunches would be welcome. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have a feeling you're going to be waiting a while.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I also think you will be waiting a while. The 30" has been woefully neglected. I believe if they do anything with the displays in the future, it will mirror the new iMacs with 21.5" and 27" displays. No telling when or if this will ever happen, though.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The ADCs is probably the least updated product apple sells. MacPros, Minis both have long update cycles but the ADC seems to languish for years without any updates from apple.

People have been pronouncing the death of apple displays for years but they continue to make them. Given that iMacs, and the laptops don't need any sort display, I wouldn't be surprised at some point to see apple drop them.

Only the Mac Pro really needs it. The mini's price point typically means buyers won't spend $$ for an ADC and many laptop owners don't purchase an external display.

Just my $.02

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm personally hoping for a 21.5". The 20" and 30" displays however, have been out for over 5 years. It is in due time for an update. I hope Apple pulls a surprise next week and announces updates, even though all the hoopla circulating is for the tablet and iphone.

6. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

until it becomes commercially viable to produce LED backlit 30" LCDs, don't expect apple to update the 30" cinema display.

Particularly since the few companies who did offer them (samsung, lacie) are seriously out of production and or stock.

I use a dell 3008WFP at work, which works quite well for my purposes.

I'd personally elect to get a 30" ACD if I could afford to for my home use.

I actually rather prefer the appearance of the all aluminum ACD v the 24" LED ones. Particularly in regard to add ons, I'd rather have the firewire ports (albeit FW400) than the magsafe, though the magsafe is useful.

it would be interesting to see a 30" refreshed to the 24" appearance/package inclusions except the LED backlight.

in otherwords, 30" glass front, magsafe, USB2 hub & isight.

7. graphicimage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I guess I will wait for next week and then start looking again. I had my eye on the NEC MultiSync LCD3090W-BK-SV 30" but that is $2400 and a friend said he got one and returned it because of darkness in the corners or something... I guess I have not looked in a year, are there any other good choices out there at 30"... for under $2500 if it's worth it. I will look into the HP people are referring too as well.

I do need something for the graphics world... web design, print and photography.

I calibrate my current 24" ACD with and eye one device now and it does make a little difference but the lack of controls on the monitor leaves me feeling like it could be better.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

I know it seems stupid, but the iMac 27" as a monitor isn't a bad plan.

10. lilo777 macrumors 603

I think it is a bad plan. I am not a fan of combo-devices in general but for those who needs performance and thus can not use iMac as a computer why to pay for something you do not need? You can buy excellent display from, say, NEC which will be better than iMac display and there is a risk of failure is much smaller.

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm saying it's not a bad plan because for less than the cost of a 30", you get an equivalent monitor (lets ignore matte for a second), with just a few vertical pixels lopped off, with a modern connector, AND there is a free computer in it.

If I was looking at buying a 30" monitor to use with displayport, I would have a hard time not spending the little less (compared to Apple 30") or little more (compared to Dell 30") to get the 'free' mac built in.

12. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im currently trying to sell my 24 acd and going to purchase a refurbished 30 acd when it pops back up .. the glossy front on the 24 is really bothering me .. and down the road i might pick up a 2nd 30 acd refurbished of course

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Very excellent point. This is why apple should drop the price on the current ACD. I think it's absolutely absurd at it's current price point because for only $300, you get a computer.