Is Apple pencil too thin to cause injuries?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by hajime, Mar 13, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 603

Hello, I read that some people developed finger clamp and other injuries while using the "thin" Apple Pencil for a long time. Is it really this bad?

I developed trigger finger while typing intensively on the rMBP 15". One time when I was using a thin pen, I also got finger clamp. Not sure if it is better to get a gripper for Apple Pencil

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have personally never had issues with Apple Pencil causing injuries or nor I have heard of anyone experiencing injuries as well.

3. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

I’ve had no issues using the Apple Pencil. I don’t find it too thin or too thick. Actually I find it no different than any other writing utensil. People sure seem delicate these days.

4. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I would take such stories with a firkin of salt. You young'uns might not remember, but we used to have to write papers for school with ink pens. Those papers got longer the older we got - a term paper might easily exceed twenty pages of hand-written text. Somehow, we survived without (much) damage.

5. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I suppose it depends on the user: even though I have arthritis in my dominant wrist I have no issues with the pencil.

6. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

A regular pencil is actually thinner than the Apple one and regardless of thickness or shape, if you are grasping onto something like that for long periods of time, your fingers are bound to develop some uncomfortable feeling. It's important to take little breaks from time to time if you're sketching/typing or doing anything that is tiring on your eyes/hands/neck. This is not specific to the Apple pencil.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

8. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I don't see why you couldn't just slide a pencil grip on it if it's a problem.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, I bought a grip. Hope it will also fit the Apple Pencil 2.