Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbor

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
I picked up a new MBA M1 a few weeks ago and noticed about 2-3 times a day it'll randomly freeze, briefly show a pink screen then reboot itself.
I have the same exact problem. I expected it was a software issue, but it still happens. It always happen when using it with an external monitor, but I use it that way 95% of the time. I haven’t seen a pattern of apps yet.
Maybe it’s time to go to the Apple Store…

Reactions: Tingola

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
I have the same exact problem. I expected it was a software issue, but it still happens. It always happen when using it with an external monitor, but I use it that way 95% of the time. I haven’t seen a pattern of apps yet.
Maybe it’s time to go to the Apple Store…
Knock on wood I did a re-install of Big Sur OS (didn't format or wipe drive so kept my settings and files) and haven't had any issues in past few days. Not sure if a fluke or a fix. If it happens again more my next step would be Apple store. So I'd say try reinstalling the OS and updating it.

Reactions: Macbor

Tingola

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
I picked up a new MBA M1 a few weeks ago and noticed about 2-3 times a day it'll randomly freeze, briefly show a pink screen then reboot itself. I googled it and noticed a lot of people having this issue. I'm a bit surprised Apple hasn't addressed or pushed an update to try to fix it. I don't have any peripherals connected and overall it seems to be running ok other than these random freeze up then crash moments.

Is it a hardware or software issue? Seems to happen most when using Safari. Anyone else find a fix to this, it's quite disruptive to workflow and also pretty unacceptable given the cost and general build quality of these laptops.
Same problem here! exactly the same... we bought a MB Pro two weeks ago and start to freeze, reboot itself and briefly show a pink screen .... and the apple representation says that does not happen to them, and surprise! they don't know what is going on and they return the money with 10% per cent less because is open... incredible. We work in photoshop mostly and it is where always happens. Anybody knows what is going on? the store propose to buy an intel old one.... Any idea?

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
My wife’s week old M1 MBA doesn’t have these issues. In fact, it ran from Tuesday evening until Saturday morning on one battery charge, and was in sleep mode while not in use.
Same here. I have a perfectly usable and reliable M1 MBA. No issues whatsoever. Day 1 MBA, by the way.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Same problem here! exactly the same... we bought a MB Pro two weeks ago and start to freeze, reboot itself and briefly show a pink screen .... and the apple representation says that does not happen to them, and surprise! they don't know what is going on and they return the money with 10% per cent less because is open... incredible. We work in photoshop mostly and it is where always happens. Anybody knows what is going on? the store propose to buy an intel old one.... Any idea?
Not sure where you got that MBA, but I would not expect to pay an open box charge on a return for the device failing. They should test the device and potentially replace it with another one of the same kind. This is not typical of MBA-M1s. You should be able to get a replacement and not have to go back to the inferior Intel MBA.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have had my M1 MacBook Air since launch day last year, have not seen any freezes or kernel panics. Have been running Monterey since the first public beta, no MacOS freezes or crashes. As others have said likely to be something you have installed.

Reactions: Fuchal

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I have a few spontaneous reboots when I first purchased, but this must have been fixed with a software update (11.5 or maybe 11.4). Haven't had one in a while. In the past, I would occasionally open my lid to awaken my MBA from sleep and find it had completely restarted.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I have a few spontaneous reboots when I first purchased, but this must have been fixed with a software update (11.5 or maybe 11.4). Haven't had one in a while. In the past, I would occasionally open my lid to awaken my MBA from sleep and find it had completely restarted.
For most of us, the kernel panics ended with 11.3. If someone is still having panics, they should definitely take the MBA into Apple for diagnosis.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
I've been experiencing the same issue, random shutdowns with flash of pink screen just prior (preceded by about a minute of screen freeze), then a reboot. 2-3 times a day for a few weeks now. I'm in the beta program and was hoping yesterday's update was going to address it. No such luck. I suspect it's a hardware problem.

Reactions: paulhummerman

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Ordered in first batch, only shutdown for security patches. Heavy user daily with Zoom Xcode, VM Ware Horizon heavy apps no problems. Sounds like a few of you got a bad batch. Send it back while under warranty.

Reactions: Tagbert

paulhummerman

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2021
My macair m1 has started to suddenly crash too, several times a day, after 2 months when it was fine. It often reboots itself, and even relaunches obs, but it interrupts the livestreams I'm doing. I do have various inputs connected (ethernet, power, hdmi, external mike) and I have not yet checked to see if it also crashes with no external inputs. I did drop it shortly after purchase and the screen immediately cracked of course, so I'm using an external monitor. I assume that even though the crashing issue is completely separate from the screen cracking issue, but the fact that I dropped it would prevent fixing the crashing issue under warranty.
By the way I've dropped many macs over the years and the screens have never cracked.

Reactions: pmbooks and Dr. MMM

Dr. MMM

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2021
Exact same problem om an M1 Mac mini. Frequent crashes, typically on Zoom and Teams video calls. Useless. Diligently sending crash reports to Apple every time...

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
My macair m1 has started to suddenly crash too, several times a day, after 2 months when it was fine. It often reboots itself, and even relaunches obs, but it interrupts the livestreams I'm doing. I do have various inputs connected (ethernet, power, hdmi, external mike) and I have not yet checked to see if it also crashes with no external inputs. I did drop it shortly after purchase and the screen immediately cracked of course, so I'm using an external monitor. I assume that even though the crashing issue is completely separate from the screen cracking issue, but the fact that I dropped it would prevent fixing the crashing issue under warranty.
By the way I've dropped many macs over the years and the screens have never cracked.
For me, these crashes and reboots occur with or without externals, and whether or not I have the computer open or not, awake or asleep.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Having the same issue running 11.5.2 Chrome or Safari stops responding, have to Force Quit. A few reboots briefly flash a pink screen, but not always.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
M1 Macs don't have SMCs.

I was going to comment on this fact as well. Although there is no SMC, you can achieve the effect of resetting the parameters it controlled in Intel Macs by shutting down, disconnecting power and peripherals for a minute and rebooting.

The best explanation I have seen is by Howard Oakley in this article. Quote:-

"Last year all changed again, as there’s no SMC at all in an M1 Mac. Instead most of its functions are performed within Apple’s new SoC, by a part known as the Always On Processor (AOP). This is a cut-down basic ARM core with its own firmware which remains powered-up and active even when the main cores are sound asleep. It runs the Apple Silicon version of power management software too, according to the settings in your Energy Saver pane, and the pmsetcommand tool.

The theory goes that M1 Macs not only can’t reset their non-existent SMCs, but you wouldn’t want them to if they could. Now if you suspect a problem with features previously associated with the SMC, you should be able to check and correct its settings manually without the need to reset anything. If it still seems wonky, what you should do is shut your Mac down, disconnect all non-essential third-party peripherals and the mains power lead, wait a minute or so, then start your Mac up again. The AOP should be re-initialised soon after startup, load its firmware, and be ready to work normally again."

Reactions: jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.