Is Apple Pulling a Nintendo Wii Stunt?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klex, Jul 14, 2008.

1. klex macrumors regular

I find it curious that every Apple store in my vicinity is completely sold out. I realize the large customer base, but this was anticipated. In fact, I haven't heard any Apple execs stating that the current sale went far beyond their imagination. As such, they should have manufactured enough phones.

I can't help but think that Apple is trying to replicate the hype surrounding the Wii, which I believe is still in shortage after X+ years of being on the market. I'm sure the iPhone shortage won't be anything like that. But seriously, someone in logistics need to be relocated.

Yes, I needed to vent.

2. McGiord, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

free press coverage...all over...again and again...and when the demand decreases or is steady and not growing..the software unlock...and more free press...and we pay for more new apps...and iPhone nano 3G comes into play...and everyone wants the 4G...and...a new thread...and...i want another one!!!
    ________
    Mazda RX-3 picture

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yet, some localities are reporting plenty of stock and we have news that a million iPhones were sold in three days.

I don't think it's in Apple's interests to artificially restrict supply. They'd like as many people as possible to get their hands on one within a reasonable time because the halo effect and income from other streams like the iTMS and App Store all have their part to play in the ecology of Apple products.