Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So a little less than two weeks ago I ordered a new bottom for my mid 2010 MacBook as per the replacement program. It makes sense they'd ask for the old one back since if I took it to the Genius Bar they'd take it, it just didn't click in my head and I never read any of the documents, kind of just replaced it as soon as I got it. Now reading the documents I see they wanted me to return it within 10 days to USPS. If they reallllly want me to I will, but say I don't. What will happen? Will the Apple police come to my house kicking down my door like I have a prototype iPhone? Will they charge me? If so, how? I have no card on file with them.

Any input is much appreciated, thank you!

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
It says what they will hold the money on your registered form of payment through your itunes account until they receive the old cover back. If they dont receive the old cover they will charge you. Not sure if they ACTUALLY will follow thru with this cos i got scared and sent back the old cover....:eek:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It says what they will hold the money on your registered form of payment through your itunes account until they receive the old cover back. If they dont receive the old cover they will charge you. Not sure if they ACTUALLY will follow thru with this cos i got scared and sent back the old cover....:eek:

What if you don't have a registered form of payment on iTunes?

dint send mine back.... =)

How long ago was it and nothing happened?

why not simply send it back?

It's already been 10 days since I realized I should have sent it back and I had just originally intended on keeping it before finding out they want you to send it back.

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
What if you don't have a registered form of payment on iTunes?

I imagine they can't do anything, at least until you register a form of payment, but how long is their memory? Problem was that i had registered a form of payment and didn't want to lose any money. :)

At least i got a free screwdriver and some nice new screws worth a few pence.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
I got mine replaced back in Nov of 2011. I never set it back and haven't been billed. After seeing this post I got curious to see what the repair status was and checked their website and the attached screen shot is what I got... :D

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I got mine replaced back in Nov of 2011. I never set it back and haven't been billed. After seeing this post I got curious to see what the repair status was and checked their website and the attached screen shot is what I got... :D

Screenshot?

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 5.10.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 5.10.46 PM.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 123

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Is there any reason you guys wouldn't send it back? I live mere blocks from a post office, so even my lazy self doesn't mind. :D

A related question - I just swapped my new bottom casing on today via this great program - what are the chances of having this happen again? It took 3.5 years for it to start peeling, and I'd hate to have it happen again, since a new case outside of warranty is $150.

Now if I could only get them to replace the top casing that's cracked by the hinges...

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Is there any reason you guys wouldn't send it back? I live mere blocks from a post office, so even my lazy self doesn't mind. :D

A related question - I just swapped my new bottom casing on today via this great program - what are the chances of having this happen again? It took 3.5 years for it to start peeling, and I'd hate to have it happen again, since a new case outside of warranty is $150.

Now if I could only get them to replace the top casing that's cracked by the hinges...

They will replace a cracked top case on a machine less than 5 years old.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

Apple will replace the screen lid/ top casing if it's cracking around the hinges. I took mine in back in june, and they replaced the screen lid free of charge. Book a genius appointment at your local apple store and get it repaired free while you still can.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
They will replace a cracked top case on a machine less than 5 years old.

Apple will replace the screen lid/ top casing if it's cracking around the hinges. I took mine in back in june, and they replaced the screen lid free of charge. Book a genius appointment at your local apple store and get it repaired free while you still can.

Nice! At this rate, I may be able to warranty myself in to a brand new looking late '09 Macbook by the time I'm done. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.